GS400 - Page 3 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Panasonic P2HD / AVCCAM / AVCHD / DV Camera Systems > Panasonic DVX / DVC Assistant > Panasonic DV / MX / GS series Assistant

Panasonic DV / MX / GS series Assistant
...and other Panasonic DV camcorders.

Old April 29th, 2004, 01:23 PM   #31
Major Player

<<<-- ....a dirty HD mode?... -->>>

well... a dirty HD720.. a dusty HD1080.. =)
it is after all a solution providing a better quality video from the miniDV with 540 lines of horizontal resolution.

so.. yes I'll buy it the first moment I can =) even if it does not have HD720. It will be after all better even from GS100, even without HD720 =)

why would anyone buy anything else?...
-it's better cam than any of line
-it's in English
-it's in NTSC
-it's less than 1500$
I can't ask for anything else up to here...
but if it has HD720 it will be something extra to enjoy =)
George Beck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 29th, 2004, 01:51 PM   #32
Wrangler

Quote:
It will be after all better even from GS100, even without HD720 =)
That may or may not be the case but hopefully we'll have some more information on the GS400 and whether Japan has an upcoming replacement for the GS100. I don't mind upgrading to a better cam but I value reviews and user comments more than a simple comparison of specs. You can really back yourself into a corner doing that.

Quote:
in this case 1080i will be better, but not available yet as you know... maybe next year ;)
I'm still confused what you meant by this. Can you elaborate what you meant and in reference to what?
Tommy Haupfear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 29th, 2004, 02:20 PM   #33
Major Player

Since you'll probably find soon enough that GS400 will be replacing GS100 I think it will be a safe bet GS400 will be a better cam...

anyway....1080 better than 720? I guess no argument there..?

or about the comment about next year?

As you know Pana announced this:
http://www.camcorderinfo.com/content/panasonic-p2-flash-pro-04_18_04.htm

as a possible cam for late 2006 at 3000$. I think the cam will be possible to produce before that date. And frankly I think GS400 may be a party capable of the same technology.
where the showcase mockup was for a HD cam 1080i it's quite possible for GS400 to be capable of HD720
Old April 30th, 2004, 12:12 AM   #34
Wrangler

Quote:
anyway....1080 better than 720? I guess no argument there..?
There is an ongoing debate on 1080i vs. 720p and it looks like it will remain until 1080p combines their strengths. 1080i is of course higher resolution (spatial) but its interlaced and doesn't play well with computer graphics (HTPC). 720p is better at displaying fast motion with less blurring due to its higher temporal resolution.

Another interesting fact is that most CRT based 1080i HDTVS (tube and rear projection) cannot display much over 800 lines of the total 1080.

As for how long we'll have to wait for 1080p? There has been talk that it will be for professional use only (archival) with no consumer 1080p devices.

I prefer 720p.

Quote:
Since you'll probably find soon enough that GS400 will be replacing GS100 I think it will be a safe bet GS400 will be a better cam...
The GS100 does appear to be on the way out judging by the panasonic.jp website.
Old April 30th, 2004, 05:20 AM   #35
Major Player

Really? I didn't know that about the CRT- HDTVs
I have Sony -WEGA HDTV (thats CRT), and the image is amasing. =/
it has the option to make progresive frames from regular TV :)

It's not too big, 34", but weights a ton...

If i were doing pro-sumer work I would go for 1080i whenever it becomes available, and de-interlace it if I have to... ;)

I'll have the optimistic view that those problems with 1080i will be resolved... it's lot like technology stands still.
Old April 30th, 2004, 05:48 AM   #36
Regular Crew

when i get back from having some drinks, i'll do a post on all the Display devices that can handle 1080p. george, i had a look at sony's latest superfine pitch tv around AUD$6k RRP i liked the picture on the Panasonic better, i saw a lot of digital artifacts on the sony that just should not have been there.
Kamal Tailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 30th, 2004, 02:16 PM   #37
Major Player

BAD news Canada

------------------------
Hello, Thank you for choosing ********. Panasonic is not bringing in the PVGS400 at this time but has available PVGS200 retail $1,299.00 Canadian. A 3 CCD-2.3 Mega Pixel Cam-corder.

The PV-DV953 is discontinued superceded by PVGS200 at a much better price.

Come on down or call me @ ************ it is on display now

Best regards
------------------------

GGRRRRRRRR... stupid Pana-Canada!
STUPID I TELL YOU

I guess we will be buying our cams from US.
Old April 30th, 2004, 02:44 PM   #38
Outer Circle

Huh? No GS400 for Canada? Figures. I don't think they brought in the EZ1 either, or so I recall. My buy had to buy it in the USA.

Actually, I've learned from experience to never believe what Pana Can and JVC Can tell me over the phone. Nothing. I could cite several examples of incorrect information I had received from them over the years. For example:

Question to JVC Can:
"How big is the CCD on the DV4000?"
Answer from JVC:
"It's 10X"
Frank Granovski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 30th, 2004, 03:45 PM   #39
Major Player

=)
Frank... give me some credit.. will ya ?

of course this was not response from Pana-Canada :) it's response from one of the "respectful dealers".

the Us dealers had their product list long time ago, and it included GS400 (even tho there were few specs to none).

The fact that the dealer here answered me like this means that they do not have GS400 in the product list, which by itself means it won't be coming soon anyway. And probably they have called Pana-Canada and asked them why they have not included GS400 in the product list, where the respons I guess was "we won't offer GS400 in canada".

I'm trying to press the dealers from Toronto to press Pana-Canada =) thats the only way something may change =/
but I don't think even if there's some effect it will be fast enough to "win" my purchase.. so I'll be buying US, and Pana-US and US dealer will make money out of me. No Canadian. and why? cose... they don't know or don't care to do bsiness.

go figure

ps. my response was more pressing, and telling them that "we will purchase from US if they don't import them (from US)"
I hope they'll press in turn Pana-Canada, since they won't go for importing US goods over the head of Pana-Canada.
"we"- as my company, I hope when they see that it was sent by a director of a company.. {no matter how small :) } will get a bit more attention.
Old April 30th, 2004, 07:21 PM   #40
Wrangler

Quote:
it's response from one of the "respectful dealers".
In all fairness a dealer will always try and sell you what he has in stock versus a cam that hasn't been released yet.
Old April 30th, 2004, 10:04 PM   #41
Major Player

True.. but a dealer would also rather say "yes we have it" (or will) than to say "no" and offer you a substitue. :)
(since you will probably go somewhere else to look for it)

anyway.. I hope you are right, and this was a case of bad business... we'll know in 30 days, it there are no specs from Pana-Canada, we can place our orders south of the border =/
Old May 1st, 2004, 01:10 AM   #42
Regular Crew

What is wrong with buying a Canadian sold camcorder? If it is too much can't you talk the dealer down? Is buying in Canada really that bad or am I just stupid.
Tom E Young is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 1st, 2004, 08:15 AM   #43
Major Player

the problem is not the price... the problem is that the cam will NOT be sold in Canada.

I would like to see YOU talk your way trough that =)
Old May 1st, 2004, 01:39 PM   #44
Major Player

some more Buzz from the NET:

An official announcement of the Nv-gs400 and their features still stands, after hearing is it however as a successor of the MX500 with introduction on the market in July planned. The provisional features look already good: three 1/4,7-Zoll-CCDs, Leica Dicomar objective (f=3,3-39,6mm 1:1.6) with 12x optical zoom shot and MegaOIS Bildstabilisierer (Optical image Stabilizer), switchable, manual sharpening and zoom shot ring, 4,0 megapixels photo function (JPEG, to 2.304x1.728 of pixels), 3,5-Zoll-LCD-Monitor, simultaneous admission of video and 1MB fixed images, SD memory card, Webcam function, inserted photo lightning, USB2-Schnittstelle as well as data processing and similar to I/O. The switching button between mechanism and manual functions is in front left accommodated at the objective -- well attainable for the left hand --, just as three further change over switches for focus/zoom shot, catch/screen and the white alignment. The ÊCM Stereomikrofon inserted a function for the decrease of wind noises. In addition gibt?s a QuickStart switch, which makes the Camcorder within seconds operational.

With the software functions (S.A. test GS200) Panasonic has one?Pro Cinema mode?, a high-quality 16:9-Modus, the Telemacro, which realizes Colour Night View night vision and one softly Skin mode. The list price in Germany was not communicated yet, might under 2.000? lie; the road price becomes in other European Union countries already with 1.675? indicated
Old May 1st, 2004, 01:46 PM   #45
Major Player

some more Buzz...

Starting from July 2004 the new Nv-gs400 is to be located in the shops. The provisional data to the model are still somewhat spongelike. In the photo mode the Camcorder pictures with 4 megapixels is to shoot to be able and the optical zoom shot is 12x to amount to. The net dissolution of the CCDs is not unfortunately yet well-known, only the size as 1/4,7 tariff is indicated. A Leica Dicomar objective with manual focus ring is blocked. The latter might not be directly tied up however, since this can likewise function as zoom shot ring. Over three keys in objective proximity can be activated manually focus/zoom shot, screen/exposure time and the white alignment. Thus these functions nevertheless do not lie in deeply interlocked submenus. In addition there is an optical picture stabilizer as well as a 3,5-Zoll LCD display. Since there was still no official announcement model, there are so far only rumors over the list price. And those speak of 1999 euro.
George Beck is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Panasonic P2HD / AVCCAM / AVCHD / DV Camera Systems > Panasonic DVX / DVC Assistant > Panasonic DV / MX / GS series Assistant