DV953 in Canadian Weather at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Panasonic P2HD / AVCCAM / AVCHD / DV Camera Systems > Panasonic DVX / DVC Assistant > Panasonic DV / MX / GS series Assistant
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Panasonic DV / MX / GS series Assistant
...and other Panasonic DV camcorders.

Old April 25th, 2004, 10:32 AM   #1
Major Player

DV953 in Canadian Weather

Has anyone used dv953 in Canadian weather?
and I'm NOT talking about Vancuver! =)
I'm talking about typical Torontonian temperatures,

-30c
(and strong winds, snow... etc.)

to

+45c
(and high humidity)

I'm a bit worried that my GS400 will be operable only for a few weeks each year =/
any tips when using (dv953) in such weather?
(moving to California is Not an option)
George Beck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 28th, 2004, 09:23 AM   #2
Major Player

common people.. =)

do the GS100 or DV953 work at -15C?
Old April 28th, 2004, 09:50 AM   #3
Major Player

I have seen postings in this forum by folks using the DV953 to film snowboarding. I don't recall the specifics of temperature being mentioned. The cameras are only rated to 0C...
Guy Bruner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 28th, 2004, 11:34 AM   #4
Major Player

Thanx, for the info Guy.
Old April 28th, 2004, 04:02 PM   #5
Outer Circle

The trick is too keep the battery and cam warm. Keep your battery or even your whole cam warm buy keeping it in your pocket, but better, keeping in a cam case with one of those hand warmers---to heat the bag---don't worry, these don't get too hot. Also, have Saran Wrap wrapped around your cam beforehand, and when you're ready to shoot, then attach the battery and more Saran Wrap around the battery---after it's attached. The wrapping will keep in the engine heat and will "let" you shoot longer in cold weather. This is what I did a couple of times shooting when it's cold---oh, and the Saran Wrap also keeps the cam dry from snow (and Vancouver rain). Shooting out of your car window is another option.

Keep in mind that all cams have a similar operating temperature.
Frank Granovski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 28th, 2004, 05:30 PM   #6
Major Player

Thanks Frank, this really helps... I was worried I'll kill the cam shooting in Toronto's weather...
altho here get much colder as you know, I think I'll have to use something like what you are suggesting.
Old April 28th, 2004, 06:56 PM   #7
Trustee

Toronto rarely sees really cold weather so i don't understand why your worried. Now, in the far north up here in Barrie we just grin and bare it.

PortaBrace sells a heated muff for a camera its called a Polar Mitten. Product number POL-M2. looks like it might be right up Franks alley.

From the description"It is thickly padded with a high loft insulation material. Air activated warmers placed inside the case, maintain interior temperatures, to keep battery, recorder, lens and hands warm. Tested at minus 50 degrees Fahrenheit. "

I suppose that would work to -45.556 deg C

http://www.portabrace.com/asp/ProdDesc.asp?DescCode=PRM

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Panasonic P2HD / AVCCAM / AVCHD / DV Camera Systems > Panasonic DVX / DVC Assistant > Panasonic DV / MX / GS series Assistant