PV-GS400 /NV-GS400 (specs) - Page 2 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Panasonic P2HD / AVCCAM / AVCHD / DV Camera Systems > Panasonic DVX / DVC Assistant > Panasonic DV / MX / GS series Assistant
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Panasonic DV / MX / GS series Assistant
...and other Panasonic DV camcorders.

Old May 9th, 2004, 10:35 AM   #16
Major Player

Michael, I took the specs off the posts because I got tired of people saying I made them up.

personally I really don't care anymore, I found and learned as much as I could from the people here, and I wanted to share all my information, in turn I got a whole lot of attitude and not much to back it up.

I wanted to see the reaction of the people and I posted that "i made the specs up" and suddenly I got quite a few replys like "you didn't fool anone, we knew you were making them up"

so... I deleted the specs from the posts I could.

I don't get to benefit of the post of those specs, the only possible thing that may come out of posting the specs is more wait for me if the store in Toronto does not store enough units.

there are Only 2 speculations

1-the CCD (is it or is it not Sony's with HAD)
pro- the CCD is the same size and has the same number of pixels
con- Pana has traditionally made its own CCDs

2-is there HD rough FireWire
pro- the frame size when capturing is NOT 640x480 nor 720x480 but a whole 1mega. The technology is there, and it is technically possible.
cons- hmm... it's not .. black?
personally I give HD 50/50 chance of being there.

the rest of the specs are as solid as if they come from Pana... or maybe a bit more.. since we know Pana uses disinformation from time to time.

what we don't know, and we have no additional info to speculate, is:
-is there 24p? what is in the so called "Pro Cinema Mode" this time.
-is there different colours, or just silver for now?

did I miss anything?... I don't think so..
George Beck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 9th, 2004, 12:46 PM   #17
Major Player

Pro Cinema Mode is probably 30fps 16xalmost9 with a touch of cinegamma thrown in, a la the gs100.

There's no reason on Earth for a 1200 cam to have "secret" HD recording system.
Old May 9th, 2004, 02:10 PM   #18
Major Player

I know that those are the gs100 specs. But about GS400 there's no information about this feature. We can expcet of course it is at least as good as gs100 but that does not mean it will be the same.

If you can make this cam an HD with extra 20$ cost, why not do it? You will blow out the competition. How's that for a reason?

why do you call it "secret"??? there are no official specs to speak of, so at present all specs are "secret". this feature will be (is) no less/more secret than anything else.
Old May 9th, 2004, 02:53 PM   #19
Outer Circle

Quote:
Is this spec from official source or still compilation of rumors?
Only some of the specs of the PAL version has been posted. Missing is the CCD size---I say missing because 1 pana site posted 1/6" CCDs while somewhere Qeorge claimed Pana e-mailed him claiming 1/4.7" CCDs. So the CCD size is "subject," but most likely 1/6".
Frank Granovski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 9th, 2004, 03:01 PM   #20
Major Player

Frank, Pana did not e-mail me anything, it was -email to Mikhail.

the size is not missing, it is 1/4.7"

some of the specs posted in pana-es are copied over from gs200.
if you want to see only the specs of gs400 that were sent to pana-es take a look at their catalog and the specs in there.
there's no information on size, pixels or whatsoever in pana-es catalog.

as I said... if you ain't the one done the research yourself... you should zip it.
Old May 9th, 2004, 03:13 PM   #21
Outer Circle

Quote:
as I said... if you ain't the one done the research yourself... you should zip it.
Excuse me?

Everything I posted in way of specs was from Panasonic. If your list was from Panasonic Europe or whatever, why did you remove them? You should have left them if they were official. I'm not judging you or anyone here. We are all here for 1 reason: to seek and share information.
Old May 9th, 2004, 03:56 PM   #22
Regular Crew

I only want to know if gs400 is going to be good but I know it is going to be good because it is newer then dv953 and that is good. I feel happy now waiting for gs400 to come out and George sent me all gs400 specs and it looks good. I will phone Panasonic tommorow and blast them for when it will be out and how much.
Tom E Young is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 9th, 2004, 04:10 PM   #23
Wrangler

Quote:
I only want to know if gs400 is going to be good but I know it is going to be good because it is newer then dv953 and that is good.
I think you'll enjoy either cam and you have the benefit of good timing. While I'm sure the GS400 will be a great cam the DV953 is already a proven performer and I doubt the marginal increase in performance/features will make any DV953 feel the need to upgrade.

Another point you might want to consider is how a replacement can ACTUALLY be worse than the cam its replacing. The Canon Optura 200MC is prime example with it being inferior to the Canon Optura 100MC it replaced. I don't forsee that being an issue with the GS400 but its always good to keep that in mind when anticipating a new arrival.
Tommy Haupfear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 9th, 2004, 04:34 PM   #24
Major Player

Frank, I don't think you deserve to have the advanced knowledge of the specs of this cam. No one else has them, and when you got them first, you ridiculed the information.
This is the only reason I took off the specs from the posts.
But there’s one post with the specs still left. If you still want the information you can go and find it =)
G’luck
Old May 9th, 2004, 04:43 PM   #25
Outer Circle

Quote:
Frank, I don't think you deserve to have the advanced knowledge of the specs of this cam.
No more personal attacks, got it?

I said that I only got a partial list from Panasonic, which I posted. If you e-mail Panasonic, you can get them as well, but they will be the same as the ones I posted.
Old May 9th, 2004, 06:09 PM   #26
Major Player

Frank, i didn't mean "you" personally, there were a lot of people who replyed to "i made the specs up" in a similar way.
and before that too...
anyway, it was not personal, so pls don't take it this way.

cheers
Old May 9th, 2004, 07:11 PM   #27
Major Player

Paging George "High Definition for $20" Beck -

Give Frank some props. Our hard-working mod is just trying to glean the facts from the innuendo.

"If you can make this cam an HD with extra 20$ cost, why not do it?

Ummmmm, because you would blow out your own product line.
Old May 9th, 2004, 07:56 PM   #28
Major Player

2-is there HD rough FireWire
pro- the frame size when capturing is NOT 640x480 nor 720x480 but a whole 1mega. The technology is there, and it is technically possible.

Sorry this must be a stupid question but where did this info originate in the first place? If it's just one of those marketing hypes from Pany, then it's probably the same as the HD technology of the GS100 :-))

cons- hmm... it's not .. black?
personally I give HD 50/50 chance of being there.

Personally, I'd give HD GS400 a 1/4.7% or 1/6% chance :-))

the rest of the specs are as solid as if they come from Pana... or maybe a bit more.. since we know Pana uses disinformation from time to time.

Don't forget the ridiculous 58mm filter thread.
Allan Rejoso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 9th, 2004, 08:32 PM   #29
Major Player

Frank.. just a suggestion...I think you have to change the time-out of posting.. make it a bit bigger... please =/

sorry the answers to all your posts are gone, it took too much time to write them all and the post disapeared =/

anyway... I think I've answered the same questions before.

in short:
Michael :what cam exactly do you think will suffer? Varicam?

Allan: have you seen any marketing of Pana about this cam?
I bet "no". Then why suggest it? What info?- the 1mega capture during playback?

I would be happy to answer any serious question, but looks like this is getting out of control at the moment. I gave you all my info, you do whatever you like with it. I'll answer further if you have some information or reasonable question.

cheers
Old May 9th, 2004, 10:07 PM   #30
Outer Circle

Isn't the "time out" something you set with your Internet connection? I get the same thing, that's why I post fast and edit later if I have to, and I usually have to.
Frank Granovski is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Panasonic P2HD / AVCCAM / AVCHD / DV Camera Systems > Panasonic DVX / DVC Assistant > Panasonic DV / MX / GS series Assistant