NV-GS400K Announced on Panasonic Japan Site - Page 3 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Panasonic P2HD / AVCCAM / AVCHD / DV Camera Systems > Panasonic DVX / DVC Assistant > Panasonic DV / MX / GS series Assistant

Panasonic DV / MX / GS series Assistant
...and other Panasonic DV camcorders.

Old June 17th, 2004, 08:50 PM   #31
Major Player

Quote:
placement of the manual function buttons at the left front side of the cam may prove to be better.
Allan, I presume you are talking about the cross-function button. If they don't turn off the viewfinder when the LCD screen is open, I agree. Otherwise, you have to move the camcorder away from your eye.

I didn't see anything in the literature that mentioned a zoom to reach 16:9. But, then again, there was no mention of the 1.04 zoom for the GS100 in the comparison text. Looking at the footprint of the 16:9 image on the CCD, it appears there is no zoom...like the PDX10.
Guy Bruner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 17th, 2004, 08:51 PM   #32
Major Player

Hey Tommy

I found that I liked the video on the Optura much better, especially in 1/30 shutter mode...but anyway..

I've been trying to do the math from the site showing the comparison. I must not be getting it right. I'm trying to see if there is a 4 pct "compensation" in the 16x9 vids..hopefully someone smarter than I will let me know.
Old June 17th, 2004, 09:07 PM   #33
Major Player

<<<-- Originally posted by Guy Bruner : Allan, I presume you are talking about the cross-function button. If they don't turn off the viewfinder when the LCD screen is open, I agree. Otherwise, you have to move the camcorder away from your eye.

Guy, I think those 3 multi-function buttons (for manual shooting) near the lens barrel should be accessible even when the LCD panel is closed (that is, when using the VF only). Oops, I think I'm getting confused with what you wrote. Are we on the same frequency here? :-))

I must be a real amateur. I don't remember shooting with my black mamba using VF. VF gives me a headache :-))
Allan Rejoso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 17th, 2004, 09:08 PM   #34
Wrangler

Michael, back on the first two pages of this thread both Allan and Guy gave explanations/translations of the widescreen diagram. It sounds like you get a wider angle of view but I'm still not so sure that there is no vertical zoom like the 1.04x of the GS100. Either way I don't think it will be near the 1.5MP widescreen mode of the Xi in terms of resolution.
Tommy Haupfear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 17th, 2004, 09:56 PM   #35
Major Player

Quote:
I think those 3 multi-function buttons (for manual shooting) near the lens barrel should be accessible even when the LCD panel is closed
Ok, I understand what you are saying. Maybe it isn't so bad after all. I was thinking that I would have to access controls inside the LCD panel while shooting.
Old June 18th, 2004, 12:55 PM   #36
Major Player

Supervideo has a new photo up (www.supervideo.com/Mamba2.htm) showing the 400k with a lens adapter and xlr unit (the latter not, I think, Panasonic's, but I'm not sure from the wording) and claiming Japan, US and Europe availability the end of June. Sure looks small and handy...
Patricia Kim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 18th, 2004, 01:05 PM   #37
Wrangler

I don't think that first pic is of a GS400. It looks like a GS120 or GS200.
Tommy Haupfear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 18th, 2004, 02:46 PM   #38
Major Player

I thought it looked small, too, but then there's the perspective from which it's shot and perhaps the chuckmeister is a large fellow with large hands. The add-on lens is what I would find convincing - looks differently configured from the Pana add-ons I have for my gs100k. Guess we'll have to wait and see.
Old June 18th, 2004, 03:25 PM   #39
Major Player

Tommy, found a gs200 picture to compare, and it definitely looks like a gs200 has been put up on supervideo as a stand-in for the gs400. Hope the mamba 1 and 2 comparison that's supposed to be coming isn't of the gs200 and gs100!

Has anyone found out yet if there really are some carryovers from the dvx to the gs400 - or is it just advertising by suggestion? (You know, you see Michael Jordan in Nikes and somehow you believe if you get those Nikes, some of Michael's moves on the court will rub off on you.)
Old June 18th, 2004, 03:37 PM   #40
Major Player

Pat,
I can't really make out what Panasonic is saying on its Japanese website. But, they are definitely trying to link the GS400 to the DVX100. They even have a picture of the DVX100 in the area where they talk about the electronics.

I have not given much credence to the supervideo site since they posted phony specs for the DV953's widescreen mode.
Old June 18th, 2004, 03:52 PM   #41
Major Player

Guy, supervideo is a rumor site, with news thrown in. But Panasonic Japan is supposedly an official site, and there's been some sleight of hand there, too, as far as most Americans are concerned (not to mention all those European Panasonic sites that had outright wrong info and pictures of the gs400 for months). Which is why I'm wondering whether we will be led down the garden path once again re this DVX/GS400 issue. It's amazing how hard it is to come by solid information on a product that is supposedly going on sale in a few weeks. The worst part will be that even after it's actually being sold, information on what is really going on inside the cam will still be shaky.
Old June 18th, 2004, 04:14 PM   #42
Major Player

Yep, you're right. We'll just have to wait until we can test the actual product before we'll know anything for sure. I'm really interested in when Panasonic will finally post info on the new NA NTSC model...
Old June 18th, 2004, 05:07 PM   #43
Major Player

<<<-- Originally posted by Patricia Kim :

Has anyone found out yet if there really are some carryovers from the dvx to the gs400 - or is it just advertising by suggestion?

The paragraph simply states that the Crystal Engine is a redesign of the high definition/resolution/image quality (not HD alright) circuit that is employed in pro cameras, in order to adopt it to non-commercial small cams, and that it has been "power-upped" for the GS400.

So that implies our GS100 has the pro element in it, being the very first cam to utilize this so called Crystal Engine.

Independent RGB noise reduction and pixel interpolation as well as the other DSPs have been there before, but probably tweaked a little bit.

Among the so called upgrades to the Crytal Engine, Pany mentions the new 3D noise reduction process, which makes a lot of sense considering the heavily densed CCDs of the GS400. Even with the improved noise reduction, Pany only managed to maintain the same light sensitivity of the GS100. Then there's that simultaneously recording to tape and card which may or may not be relevant at all.
Old June 18th, 2004, 05:34 PM   #44
Major Player

<<<-- Originally posted by Guy Bruner : From what I can gather reading the Japanese specs and all, the improvements over the DV953 are as follows:
  • 12X vs. 10X Zoom
    60,000 more pixels in 4:3 video
    271,152 more pixels in 16:9
    Wider horizontal field of view in 16:9
    Pro-cinema Widescreen mode
    3 lux better low light performance
    Improved video processing (Crystal Engine) should reduce low light noise and grain
    4 Mpxl vs. 3 Mpxl stills to SD card
    1.2 Mpxl still to SD while videoing
    High Speed USB (allows real time video to PC)
    Smooth color nightview
    Tele-macro focus
    Power LCD
    Dual function Focus/Zoom ring
    Beauty skin mode

Big functional decrease from DV953, IMO, is the loss of the jog dial and having to use the LCD when in manual mode.

Did I miss anything significant? -->>>

Assuming the 953 performs the same as the MX5000, you should add the following:

Low dispersion Leica Dicomar glass
Bass enhancer
Better LCD (even without activating Power LCD)
Higher resolution VF (123K against 110K)
Faster and smoother tape loading mechanism
More manual picture adjustments
Built in mono mic on the wired remote
Slow shutter speed settings under card mode (1/2, 1/4, 1/8, 1/15)
Continuous photo shooting to card
Quick start
Self-timer
Old June 18th, 2004, 05:48 PM   #45
Major Player

The letters are a little bit too small but that switch below the lens barrel (below the 3 manual function buttons) appears to be the auto/manual slide switch. Hmmm, that I think is a better placement compared to the grip area.
Allan Rejoso is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Panasonic P2HD / AVCCAM / AVCHD / DV Camera Systems > Panasonic DVX / DVC Assistant > Panasonic DV / MX / GS series Assistant