GS200, Optura 300 or DV953? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Panasonic P2HD / AVCCAM / AVCHD / DV Camera Systems > Panasonic DVX / DVC Assistant > Panasonic DV / MX / GS series Assistant
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Panasonic DV / MX / GS series Assistant
...and other Panasonic DV camcorders.

Old June 24th, 2004, 07:28 AM   #1
Tourist

GS200, Optura 300 or DV953?

I apologize in adavance for asking this silly question, however, it is important to me and I need your help.

My immediate need is to take a small camera to South Africa where I'll be doing a photography workshop. (I shoot Canon Pro 35mm film fine art nature stuff) Seeing as SA is half a world away I would like to capture some Video but am clueless as to gear. I've spent a few days reading this and other sites and have come the three cam's above the 953 being added only yesterday as a local major retailer has one in stock for $836.00.

My needs

1. The best possible image. I'm critical as my fine art still photo's are sold at galleries. (meaning I understand quality images)
2. lightweight... Important but am willing to make sacrifices if necessary.
3. Seems like Image stabilization should be important
4. Manual control... I think I can adapt my knowledge of using only manual mode in 35mm film and take advantage in the DV world..

I was ready to purchase the GS200 due to the 3CCD issue but then when I saw the 953 at that price I paused... I guess I'm looking for advice as to weather I'd be sacrificing much regarding image quality with either the Optura 300 or GS200 over the 953... I don't ever see myself using a DV for anything other than personal needs. I really do like the smaller size but don't want to kick myself after this trip for not buying the 953 because it was bigger... I hope you can see my dilema... HELP!

Oh and by the way... I really don't want to spend any more than $800....
John Barclay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 24th, 2004, 09:04 AM   #2
Wrangler

Quote:
Oh and by the way... I really don't want to spend any more than $800....
I hear ya! Its always so easy to spend someone else's money. You usually hear "its worth spending the extra money on said cam..".

I think its a great idea to stick with your original cam budget and the deal on the DV953 is a rare find (especially at C.C.)

John, I didn't see this post before I replied to your email but definitely lean towards the DV953 and you won't be disappointed unless you feel the cam is too large for your travels.
Tommy Haupfear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 24th, 2004, 09:28 AM   #3
Regular Crew

John:

How much was the GS200? The DV953 is a very good price at 836.00 dollars.

So you know, the DV953 has been discountinued. The DV953 has wonderful manual controls. More than the GS200. The smaller form factor of the GS200 might suite your needs especially with the traveling. The image stabilzation on the DV953 is much better than the GS200's predecessor and I don't believe is was that much improved upon on the GS200. All this maybe a mute point because your use is personal. The GS200 is a nice camera and the form factor is compact. See review:

http://www.dvspot.com/reviews/panasonic/pv_gs200-review/index.shtml

I have been to South Africa and I can tell you, it is beautiful. I was there years ago, but when I went, I did take all my Nikor lenses which varied from a 500mm mirror to 20mm wide angle. So I did have plenty of choices for my pictures.

If you say your use is personal - then go with the features that work for you. If size is a factor then go with the GS200, if not the DV953 will give you more manual control. I love the DV953, but it is a little larger (not by much) than the GS200, but it is larger. The video quality of the DV953 is beautiful, but so is the video on the GS200 and there are slight pro advantages in owning the DV953. The only problem with these cameras are the low light scenes. With minimal light source the video tends to be darker than one likes. Although that is to be expected but if the camera suits your needs and it's personal, go with what works for you if the price is a factor.
Rick Tugman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 24th, 2004, 10:36 AM   #4
Regular Crew

For your purposes I´m sure you´ll need extra batteries.
Old June 24th, 2004, 07:21 PM   #5
Major Player

If Tommy sells his black mamba for 836, go for it :-))).

If I were to choose among the 3, I'd rate them as follows:
Optura300

If I rate them based on low light,
Optura300

If I rate them based on ease of handling,
200/Optura300

If I rate them based on clarity and resolution
953/300
200 (way way way way way way way way way below)

If I rate them based on image stabilization
200 (way way way way way way way way way below)

If I rate them based on color saturation
953/200
300 (its quite nice for a single chipper)

If I rate them based on cool factor
953 (well it ain't cool looking actually - but a darn good cam)

Take note, the 953 is a LOT bigger than both the 300 and the 200, although it is perfectly balanced in terms of weight distribution and I guess you are quite used to carrying heavy film cameras.

Sure hope I didn't confuse you more :-)).

I forgot

If I rate them based on manual features
Allan Rejoso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 24th, 2004, 09:58 PM   #6
New Boot

Best Choice

I fully support Allan's commend. Then GS100 may the best choice for you. A 953 based with Crystal DSP and 3D DNR for low light. A reasonable size and weight between 200 and 953. But already discontinous and just few stock can find in market
Old June 25th, 2004, 02:35 PM   #7
Wrangler

Quote:
If Tommy sells his black mamba for 836, go for it :-))).
I'm asking a little bit more but I'm including free shipping and a 12-pack of new Panasonic MiniDV tapes.

I've added the link to my signature below for anyone interested.
Old June 25th, 2004, 04:48 PM   #8
Tourist

Thank you all...

Thank you for being kind enough to help me better understand my situation... I think all said... the 953 makes the most sense for now... Who knows I may get bit by the DV bug just like I have for Pro Film gear! Heavens knows I've spent many thousands of dollars on that stuff...

Thanks again.
Old June 25th, 2004, 06:12 PM   #9
Wrangler

Let us know how the DV953 works out for you on your upcoming travels.

Maybe share a frame or two upon your return..
Old June 25th, 2004, 07:16 PM   #10
Major Player

That's a good price Tommy! I haven't been able to find a used black mamba for sale in Tokyo, to think that the biggest 2nd hand shop here would normally have any model of used cam/camcorder within 1 month from its release date (even the hi-vision HD-1). That speaks a lot about this cam.
Allan Rejoso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 26th, 2004, 07:39 PM   #11
Tourist

Made the purchase of the DV953

Well I went to Circuit City and purchased the unit for 5% less so it was $794.00 plus tax. To get the 5% off of the $836 I had to open an account but what the heck 12months same as cash... Seemed like a no brainer to me.... Love the way this camera feels in my hand now that it's not teathered to the cords at CC. Can't wait to start practicing so I can be ready for the big trip in August.

Thanks again for the help!

P.S. This store has two left if anyone is interested...
Old June 27th, 2004, 09:57 AM   #12
Regular Crew

Congratulations John....

That was a great deal. You'll love the camera. I'm sure having the pro gear you already have, the DV953 can only compliment and enhance your workshop and hobby.

I think you made the right choice, but I like people to think about their needs and the budget they have before they make and investment like this. At that price you won't be sorry and you'll get plenty of use for years to come.

You'll love South Africa, it is so beautiful especially the Eastern Transvaal, Cape Town and Stellenbosh (the wine country).

We look forward to seeing some of your post when you return from your trip.

Best regards,

Rick.
Rick Tugman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 27th, 2004, 10:05 PM   #13
New Boot

GS100 Best offer from Osaka Japan

I found the best offer of GS100 lower than 100000 JPY.

http://www.kakaku.com/prdsearch/detail.asp?PrdKey=20201010037
Old July 12th, 2004, 09:46 AM   #14
New Boot

hey bud if you don't want that dv953 could you give me that retailer's phone #? i've been looking for one for a while. thanks!
Old July 12th, 2004, 09:48 AM   #15
Tourist

None are left at this time. All gone, sorry.
John Barclay is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Panasonic P2HD / AVCCAM / AVCHD / DV Camera Systems > Panasonic DVX / DVC Assistant > Panasonic DV / MX / GS series Assistant