BAD Japanese customer reaction about GS400 - Page 2 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Panasonic P2HD / AVCCAM / AVCHD / DV Camera Systems > Panasonic DVX / DVC Assistant > Panasonic DV / MX / GS series Assistant
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Panasonic DV / MX / GS series Assistant
...and other Panasonic DV camcorders.

Old June 29th, 2004, 02:05 PM   #16
Major Player

Doesn't it make you wonder about the teaser Frank was sent by Pana technical re a possible new Japan-only model? There's certainly room for something between the gs400, say, and the dvx100a, particularly with Panasonic touting using some of the dvx technology in the 400? Could be interesting times...
Patricia Kim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 29th, 2004, 02:09 PM   #17
Wrangler

Isn't the DVC30 in-between the GS400 and DVX100?

Not saying a new cam isn't possible but where would they position it unless its HDV.
Tommy Haupfear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 29th, 2004, 02:59 PM   #18
Major Player

I thought the dvc30 didn't do 24p? And that it was really being marketed heavily toward law enforcement because of the "night vision" mode - I believe someone even remarked in one of the forums that that's where most of the sales have been?
Patricia Kim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 29th, 2004, 04:21 PM   #19
Wrangler

I think you may have seen a post by our old pal Frank over at dv.com where he said he compared the DVC-30 with the PDX-10 at a camera store and was very unimpressed with the build quality of the DVC-30. He also mentioned the law enforcement thing.

I found his comments curious since a few people around here have specifically mentioned how well built the DVC-30 is....
Boyd Ostroff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 29th, 2004, 07:12 PM   #20
Major Player

C'mon guys, most probably none of those who gave their poll have even seen the GS400 in person. Anyway

Low ratings in terms of size is a no-brainer. This cam is HUGE for the mainstream Jap market and that should be a concern for Pany.

Since the GS400 uses the same type of batt as the GS100, certainly battery life s_cks. Buy an extra battery.

Pricewise, kakaku's starting price is higher than JPY160,000. Who's gonna give that a good rating? But for sure, prices will go down to more reasonable levels once this cam is finally out.

I'm quite surprised with Frank's comment on the DVC30 body. It is made with Magnesium alloy die-cast.
Allan Rejoso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 29th, 2004, 07:16 PM   #21
Major Player

The new GS series will certainly be small and cute, Japanese style. They'll be good for tourists and home users. Serious users who wish to do some 'paid' jobs will probably consider else.

I am not saying that the image is not good, but the GS built and features, coupled with smaller batteries and non-ergonomic buttons, well, certainly not for serious shooting.

As for the DVC30, no 24P = not a good cam? For the sensitivity and built (ergonomics and metal frame), I'll say that that's value for money, especially to amateurs who are training for pro shooting. The DVX100 is cool, but pretty costly, too.
SW: iMovie, Final Cut Pro, Adobe Premiere, Ulead Video Studio, various little utilities
Yow Cheong Hoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 29th, 2004, 08:14 PM   #22
Wrangler

Yowch, I've actually seen a few outdoor fishing shows that use compact 3CCD cams. In fact one down in Georgia bought one of my cams and I had one in Florida contact me today about my GS100 or purchasing a GS400.

Not that I'm elevating these little cams above 1/3" 3CCDs (or any cam for that matter) but they do have they place other than birthday parties and trips to the zoo.
Old June 30th, 2004, 12:50 AM   #23
Major Player

Tommy,

Surely I know that. :-) I am actually pretty well paid for the videos that I make out of my 1/4" MX350, which is 3-years-ago technology. I just find that it is pretty pointless to say that comsumer cams can be as good as pro cams and the noise is very low or that teh colour reproduction is very close. Panasonic brought 3CCD to the masses, but the compromise is in the quality of the 3CCD. I still believe in Panasonic for the beautiful skin tones and good value-for-money. But to do anything serious, it'll be at least in the range of DVX100, PD170 or XL-1s. And anything really serious will need those monsters that TV stations are using.

By the way, small batteries and digital stabilisers are pretty terrible, not to mention the lack of dedicated buttons for WB, ND, mic gain, video gain, etc.

Back to the topic, reaction by the public is a good indication of where the next generation of video cams will go, be it cheaper and smaller or larger and more costly. It may well split into more division than pro, prosumer and consumer!
SW: iMovie, Final Cut Pro, Adobe Premiere, Ulead Video Studio, various little utilities
Yow Cheong Hoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 30th, 2004, 02:10 AM   #24
Outer Circle

What I said was that the DVC30 looks and feels plastic-like compared with the PDX10. I never said it wasn't good. A large Vancouver dealer told me that all their DVC30 cams have been sold for surveilance purposes so far. Only lawyers and investigators have bought them, and not many have been sold.
Frank Granovski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 30th, 2004, 07:15 AM   #25
Regular Crew

"But to do anything serious, it'll be at least in the range of DVX100, PD170 or XL-1s. And anything really serious will need those monsters that TV stations are using."

Hum.... don´t know....

Dogville, Piñero, Personal Velocity, Dancing in the Dark, Jackass, Tape, Everything Put Together, 28 Days and a LOT of other films were shot with PD´s, XL´s and sub-PD´s. Some of those films were big hits and Dogville is a masterpiece.
Old June 30th, 2004, 03:24 PM   #26
Outer Circle

One of our moderators just finished shooting part 1 of a 6 part TV mini series. All the cams were XL1's, XL1S's and DVX100/A's. Looked pretty good to me on the monitors. Sorry, Yow. :-))
Frank Granovski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 30th, 2004, 05:16 PM   #27
Regular Crew

Hey Frank, is there any trailer of those shots for us to watch?
Old June 30th, 2004, 06:25 PM   #28
Major Player

I think the pols on kakaku.com has to be taken with a grain of salt!

I've noticed low grade but well selling stuff often gets very high scores while quality goods tend to have lower scores.
I think that's due to the targeted customers. The second group buyers are more demanding thus often the scores are low.

Recently I bought a heatsink for my PC's CPU which had full marks (from only 6 people though). I didn't like much the performance but it was cheap for what it was supose to do. Later I saw magazine review where this same HS scored almost last.
If I have translated and read carefully the opinions after the kakaku pol I propably wouldn't have bought that HS!
Bogdan Vaglarov is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 30th, 2004, 07:49 PM   #29
Wrangler

Bogdan, hopefully it wasn't the Thermalright SLK948U copper heatsink. I've been waiting to buy that one.

As for kakau.com, you can't review a movie until you've seen it and I think the same goes for camcorders.
Old June 30th, 2004, 09:26 PM   #30
Major Player

Tommy mine is copper heatpipe (Zaward) and 30% cheaper than the leaders - you'll be fine with Thermalright !

What I meant for the kakaku pols/bbs is that it's more represantative of the sales and where the mainstream goes.
There are questions and answers and some people are saying things straight (unusual for Japanese) but it's not a real forum to get the better picture out of a product.
Bogdan Vaglarov is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Panasonic P2HD / AVCCAM / AVCHD / DV Camera Systems > Panasonic DVX / DVC Assistant > Panasonic DV / MX / GS series Assistant