GS400 Has 30P - Page 7 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Panasonic P2HD / AVCCAM / AVCHD / DV Camera Systems > Panasonic DVX / DVC Assistant > Panasonic DV / MX / GS series Assistant
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Panasonic DV / MX / GS series Assistant
...and other Panasonic DV camcorders.

Old July 31st, 2004, 07:50 AM   #91
Major Player

<<<-- Originally posted by Allan Rejoso : Maybe Robin simply read the spec sheets :-) and assumed that the HC1000 shutter speed setting behaves similar to Sony's other cams - you know, that Program AE controlled shutter speed, combined with slow shutter settings under digital effect. Let me verify first, but I do remember playing with and appreciating those low shutter speed settings of the HC1000 and thought 1/15 appeared very controllable.

I was able to verify this before I left Tokyo last week. I counted 20 manual shutter settings starting from 1/4, 1/8, 1/15, 1/30, 1/60 all the way to 1/10,000 under video mode. In fact, the manually set shutter speed is displayed on the LCD. Of course, you have to first set the cam to manual using the slide switch located at the bottom left side of the lens barrel.

But there's a little inconvenience...If you set the shutter speed to manual mode, Brightness has to be set in Auto. If Brightness is set to manual (24 manual levels possible), the shutter speed is locked to the last setting. However, AE shift is still available (+-4) which allows the user to adjust the brightness somehow. Brightness level and AE shift settings are also displayed on the LCD.

For those who think the rotating grip is useless, it is IMO one of the most relevant features of this cam. Any grip position less than 45 degrees is quite uncomfortable due to the cam's heavy front.

I can imagine the inconvenience of making all the adjustments through the touch-panel but if you consider the market price of this cam against its overall features, I don't think I can complain. By the way, the HC1000 does not have Bluetooth and Network functions of the TRV950.
Allan Rejoso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 31st, 2004, 08:18 AM   #92
Wrangler

Quote:
You'd hope that actual street prices would be lower than that, with the PDX-10 selling for $1850 it sure wouldn't make sense to spend $1700 on the HC-1000.
Good point Boyd. If I had to guess I would say that the HC-1000 will drop dramatically in price (like it has in Japan) to compete with the GS400 since they are very similar in specs.

Or... Maybe a new PDX10 is on the horizon? :)
Tommy Haupfear is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Panasonic P2HD / AVCCAM / AVCHD / DV Camera Systems > Panasonic DVX / DVC Assistant > Panasonic DV / MX / GS series Assistant