Elementary questions on UV filter at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Panasonic P2HD / AVCCAM / AVCHD / DV Camera Systems > Panasonic DVX / DVC Assistant > Panasonic DV / MX / GS series Assistant

Panasonic DV / MX / GS series Assistant
...and other Panasonic DV camcorders.

Old July 15th, 2004, 03:17 AM   #1
Regular Crew

Elementary questions on UV filter

Hi,
To protect, my mx500 leica lenses, I would buy a UV filter. I have a step-up ring 43-55 so I think will be easy find one...but I would to know, wich is the difference using or not using a UV filter? Can I use it in indoor shot, or only for outdoor? Will I have a light loss? So, could anyone explain me the advantages and disadvantages of this device?

Thanks so much!

Marco
Marco Mezzalana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 15th, 2004, 03:50 AM   #2
Wrangler

I think the biggest advantage is the protection of your cam's glass and you can definitely use it indoors. To be honest I can't tell much difference with the filter on or off but the peace of mind about lens protection keeps the filter screwed on tight (not too tight of course!).
Tommy Haupfear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 15th, 2004, 05:53 AM   #3
Major Player

A good UV filter also reduces flaring and cuts off the UV excess light, giving slightly richer colour (not as good as a polariser, but given 99.99% transmitivity...). Sure there is a little little little light loss, but the 'sacrificial' protection is certainly good. Especially when you are shooting children who'll suddenly poke a toy at the lens!

Wow, you have a 43 to 55 step up! I am currently stepping up 43-52 than 52-55. May I ask were you got that 43 - 55 and at what price?
SW: iMovie, Final Cut Pro, Adobe Premiere, Ulead Video Studio, various little utilities
Yow Cheong Hoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 15th, 2004, 06:24 AM   #4
Major Player

If you are worried about even the slightest effect of a UV filter and your main purpose is simply to protect the front glass, then just use an MC (multi-coated) protector. It's just a clear filter.
Allan Rejoso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 15th, 2004, 07:33 AM   #5
Regular Crew

the stepup ring?It's very simple I purchased it at B&H...Ok I think it's the best choice for me...I think I bring with me the cam to test the filter...
thanks...
Old July 15th, 2004, 08:28 AM   #6
Major Player

You do not need a UV filter unless you are high in the mountains and shooting outside where UV rays are more prevalent. There is no UV on interior shots when there is no sun. UV is filtered by the atmosphere in lower elevations.

Some of us don't own a UV filter or don't use it. A "protective" filter can be used if you believe there will be some bumping around the lens or, perhaps, dirt in the air. Otherwise your lens cap does the job just fine.
Rob Belics is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 15th, 2004, 08:55 AM   #7
Wrangler

Allan, thanks for reminding me about the MC protector. I'll be going with one of these over a UV filter on my upcoming cam.

Rob, I always like to have something in front of my lens but thats probably because I have a two year old at home. :) I agree that for the most part a UV filter isn't needed.
Tommy Haupfear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 17th, 2004, 06:35 AM   #8
Regular Crew

Ok, the UV filter do its work: protect the lenses..I've test it today!
I would to say, If I would shot sunset or the down, wich filter I have to use?
With my mx500 when the sun come in the visible area, its appers with dirty conturs. How can I do to obtain the clear sun circle like classic africaans sunset?

thanks...
Old July 17th, 2004, 07:40 AM   #9
Major Player

You can't unless you ND down plenty (+4 two pieces maybe). That's because the CCD will overload with such a bright target and bleed, smear, 'UFO' etc. By the time you ND enough to shoot the sun, everything else will be pitch black.

In any case, I wouldn't recommend keeping the cam pointed at the sun directly for more than a short few seconds, I fear that the image might get burnt in (CCD damage).
SW: iMovie, Final Cut Pro, Adobe Premiere, Ulead Video Studio, various little utilities
Yow Cheong Hoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 17th, 2004, 07:46 AM   #10
Regular Crew

hmm I think that...Anyway, I never point camera to the sun when its high in the sky...only when I can see it with naked eyes, and only for few time...
Marco Mezzalana is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Panasonic P2HD / AVCCAM / AVCHD / DV Camera Systems > Panasonic DVX / DVC Assistant > Panasonic DV / MX / GS series Assistant