Resolution loss in frame mode? - Page 2 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Panasonic P2HD / AVCCAM / AVCHD / DV Camera Systems > Panasonic DVX / DVC Assistant > Panasonic DV / MX / GS series Assistant
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Panasonic DV / MX / GS series Assistant
...and other Panasonic DV camcorders.

Old August 11th, 2004, 02:39 PM   #16
Major Player

Yes, yes. I can pick apart my own post on this (and I started right after I posted but it is a long drive home :-( ). As long as your frame grab software doesn't do anything to alter the fields, if you shoot a static image, the two fields should integrate together (deinterlace) without any softening. Also, subject motion does not change the resolution which is set by the lens, CCD and processing method.

What I was trying to say and bungled was, in the measurement, not to introduce factors that would place frames shot in interlaced mode at a disadvantage.

Quote:
So are you saying that for static shots, interlaced would be the winner while frame mode would be preferred for motion shots?
If you are working on a frame basis, yes. Due to the way that the line pair information is combined in frame mode, it technically should have less resolution than interlaced mode by 25%. I have shot EIA1956 charts with the DV953 in frame mode and it is very hard to see any difference from the same chart shot in interlaced mode. Mikhail's shots are very similar to mine. Frame mode video has more judder than interlaced. If you pull a frame grab of a motion scene in each mode, the frame mode grab will have less softening because each field is recorded at the same time so there is no interfield motion blur. But the frame mode video can be "jerky," especially PAL.
Guy Bruner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 16th, 2004, 08:21 AM   #17
Major Player

Using the GS400, for those who might be interested in shooting 4:3 under Frame Mode, please note that Frame Mode becomes unavailable (in the menu) if card resolution is set to 1280 x 960. Set resolution to 640 x 480 first.

I don't know the reason for this so if anybody could give a technical explanation, it would be highly appreciated.
Allan Rejoso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 16th, 2004, 09:50 AM   #18
Major Player

NTSC frame mode vs 4:3 interlaced - hardly a difference

Hi folks - I'll post some comparisons later today but can definitely say that any theoretical resolution loss in going to frame procinema mode on the GS400 is negligible compared to 4:3 mode to the naked eye... the procinema looks really good, really sharp. Looks better than xl1s frame mode in my humble opinion.

On the GS400: The cinegamma and progressive filmic look is so pleasing, I am quickly becoming very fond of shooting everything in procinema mode - it complements well with any work you want to do in post via Magic Bullet looks or any other colour-correcting - at least now you don't have to worry about deinterlacing to get "progressive" footage to make it look filmic.

Seeing is believing - I'm still grinning from ear to ear from the kind of resolution this nifty little cam is offering. Wow!
Mark Kubat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 16th, 2004, 10:29 AM   #19
Wrangler

Mark, I'm still looking forward to your comparison footage. Panasonic has on several occassions mentioned that their frame mode is not true progressive scan which leads me to believe there will be some resolution loss. I would be most interested in comparing 16:9 interlaced to 16:9 frame mode (not Cinema or Pro Cinema) to get the best idea of any resolution loss in its anamorphic widescreen.

Can you also verify if the cine-like gamma is non-adjustable as on my past GS100?
Tommy Haupfear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 16th, 2004, 07:33 PM   #20
Regular Crew

The way I read Steve Mullens article, Frame mode only has a 7% loss when compared to Interlaced mode.

Both Interlaced and Frame mode take a 25% vertical resolution hit due to row pair summation. Which decreases vertical resolution from 480 lines to 360 lines.

In Frame mode he states that it takes another resolution hit due to the frame modes estimation process. So combined with the 25% row pair hit, it results in 320 lines of information, or a 33% loss of vertical resolution, only 7% more than Interlaced.

ftp://ftp.panasonic.com/pub/Panasoni...ressive-WP.pdf
Rokta Bija is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 18th, 2004, 09:53 AM   #21
Major Player

So when people mention the 25% resolution loss in using frame mode, they're actually referring to the difference between frame mode and true progressive scan? When people said there was a 25% loss I thought that they meant between frame mode and interlace mode, which seems like a lot, so I used to think that much loss was a big drawback, but if it's only 7% between the interlaced and frame modes, that's not bad at all...(sorry for the long run-on sentence)
Jesse Bekas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 19th, 2004, 11:46 PM   #22
Major Player

my apologies for delay in posting footage

Sorry folks - I've had deadlines this week with some projects so I've had to shift away from testing the GS400... Give me a few more days to get clips ready...

Tommy, let me say definitely that there is no resolution loss to my naked eye - I am impressed by the frame mode on Pana compared to say Canon's and I like Pana's enough to use procinema on GS400 as my "film look" for narrative film projects.

Yup, you cannot adjust gamma in procinema mode. It's there. You can't take it off.

BUT
you can shoot wide (16:9) with frame (faux 30p?) WITHOUT gamma.

you can also shoot 4:3 in frame mode WITHOUT gamma.

Again, I am starting to realize that I like GS400 better when shooting in frame/30p than DVX100 BECAUSE shooting in frame mode on former allows for use of autofocus during "run-and-gun" style shooting whereas delay in doing 3:2 pulldown making only manual focus possible in latter, which, compounded by strobe display shooting in progressive make run-and-gun on DVX100 in progressive modes virtually impossible without getting the progressive monitor... it's late, does everybody understand my point?
Mark Kubat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 20th, 2004, 02:57 AM   #23
Major Player

Don't forget that you can still adjust picture quality (color intensity, detail, contrast, exposure compensation) even under procinema.
Allan Rejoso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 20th, 2004, 08:56 AM   #24
Wrangler

I have a hard time believing that if there were no resolution loss that Panasonic wouldn't hesitate slapping the words Progressive Scan on side of the GS400.

Mark, I don't think anyone will disagree with you on the fact that run-n-gun will be better on the GS400 (opposed to the DVX100A).

I'm on my way to saving up for a black GS400 from Japan but my 1/3" 3CCD DVX100A and VX2000 won't be going anywhere. They are totally different cams in both capabilities and perforamnce compared to their sub 1/4" 3CCDs siblings.

I look it at like lighting and mics. Different equipment for different tasks.
Tommy Haupfear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 21st, 2004, 01:29 PM   #25
Major Player

Can anybody answer my question about resolution loss from a few posts earlier? I asked if the 25% resolution loss commonly quoted about frame modes was a difference between frame mode and true progresssive scan, or frame mode and interlaced mode.
Jesse Bekas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 21st, 2004, 02:49 PM   #26
Major Player

Yes, my post said interlaced mode and should have said progressive. Frame mode has only 11% less vertical resolution than interlaced mode...67% less vertical resolution than progressive.
Guy Bruner is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Panasonic P2HD / AVCCAM / AVCHD / DV Camera Systems > Panasonic DVX / DVC Assistant > Panasonic DV / MX / GS series Assistant