GS400 vs. Optura 30 Video Clips at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Panasonic P2HD / AVCCAM / AVCHD / DV Camera Systems > Panasonic DVX / DVC Assistant > Panasonic DV / MX / GS series Assistant
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Panasonic DV / MX / GS series Assistant
...and other Panasonic DV camcorders.

Old August 21st, 2004, 06:49 AM   #1
Major Player

GS400 vs. Optura 30 Video Clips

There are a couple of video clips available for download from my website that show comparisions between the GS400 and Optura 30. These were taken by deymayor.
Guy Bruner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 23rd, 2004, 10:38 AM   #2
Regular Crew

It's very curiously - GS400 footage looks interlaced. PAL GS400 can't shot interlaced video in CINEMA-PRO mode.
Old August 23rd, 2004, 01:34 PM   #3
Major Player

The fellow who shot and formulated those clips says the modes are correct. I can't really say because I only hosted them for him. He says that there may be some distortion introduced by the conversion to WMV that appear like interlacing but aren't.
Old August 23rd, 2004, 10:33 PM   #4
Regular Crew

I downloaded the clips too and found them more funny than useful. :) Especially the image stabilizer test... does this fellow really expect the IS can help him noticalbly when he is running around like crazy!? ;) Better should try to hold the cam steady on an object and maybe zoom.
Anyway, I also saw the interlacing artefacts in "ProCinama mode" on his footage. But I guess in fact it's just WIDE screen mode. Even if you encode this to WMV, frame mode (or progressive) footage can not change to real interlaced again. Or did he change the frame rate to something lower?
Andreas Winkler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 24th, 2004, 05:53 AM   #5
Major Player

Yes, a lot of folks expect too much out of in-camera stabilization. They want a perfectly smooth video while shooting from a motocross bike on a tough course.

Other than what I reported before, I have no information on how the videos were made.
Old August 24th, 2004, 08:31 AM   #6
Regular Crew

Yes, exactly Guy! :)
Once a friend of mine was doing the same thing in China, running/walking along the Great Wall while recording. Seems he also thought the IS will do it's job better, but what he got was 100% crap video! I guess he has to go there again... ;)

I just recorded some ProCinema pan shots with my GS400 and converted them to 1Mb WMV. But there is absolutely nothing like these interlace artefacts! Only a bit of motion blur.
Andreas Winkler is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Panasonic P2HD / AVCCAM / AVCHD / DV Camera Systems > Panasonic DVX / DVC Assistant > Panasonic DV / MX / GS series Assistant