Question on Cleaning DVC30 and tapes. at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Panasonic P2HD / AVCCAM / AVCHD / DV Camera Systems > Panasonic DVX / DVC Assistant > Panasonic DV / MX / GS series Assistant
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Panasonic DV / MX / GS series Assistant
...and other Panasonic DV camcorders.

Old September 16th, 2004, 09:23 PM   #1
New Boot

Question on Cleaning DVC30 and tapes.

Just received my new DVC30. I've read you should clean it before you record anything. Do you just stick the cleaing tape in and press "Play" or do you press "Record"? How long do you run it?

Also, do you always re-tension a tape before you record? (Fast-forward and then rewind.)

An lastly, how many times can you use (re-record) a tape before the quality degrades?

Thanks,
Sam
Sam Welchel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 16th, 2004, 09:49 PM   #2
Wrangler

This link should be of some use for your first two questions.

Then for the tape tension, I personally do not FF and then RW my tapes before recording. I have done this on occassion with 10+ year old VHS tapes to improve playback but I'm just too impatient when ripping open a new MiniDV tape. I definitely don't see any harm in this other than a little extra wear and tear on your tape assembly motors.

I also do not reuse my MiniDV tapes (unless I see Elvis and/or Aliens). They're just too cheap to bother and besides its a bad business practice (see also Tape Heads - Tim Robbins and John Cusack -1988).
Tommy Haupfear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 17th, 2004, 07:41 AM   #3
New Boot

Tommy,

Thanks for the link - I'll take a look.

Why is it bad to reuse tapes?

Thanks again,

Sam
Sam Welchel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 17th, 2004, 07:53 AM   #4
Wrangler

MiniDV tapes don't hold up nearly as well as the old tried and true VHS tapes or even 8mm for that matter. I wouldn't want to risk losing family footage or a paying job on a $3 tape but thats just me. I've heard of folks recording over the same tape as many as four or more times and I guess its just personal preference.
Tommy Haupfear is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Panasonic P2HD / AVCCAM / AVCHD / DV Camera Systems > Panasonic DVX / DVC Assistant > Panasonic DV / MX / GS series Assistant