Silly question re: GS400 and tripods at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Panasonic P2HD / AVCCAM / AVCHD / DV Camera Systems > Panasonic DVX / DVC Assistant > Panasonic DV / MX / GS series Assistant
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Panasonic DV / MX / GS series Assistant
...and other Panasonic DV camcorders.

Old November 25th, 2004, 01:15 PM   #1
Regular Crew

Silly question re: GS400 and tripods

What's the "screw size" that the GS400 needs to be compatible with a tripod? I can't find the specs for that in my GS400 manual, but I'm assuming it's pretty standard. I'm looking at getting this tripod: From Amvona, the Dynatran AT 858CL. It has a 3/8" screw size in the quick release plate. This should work, right?

Thanks.
Robert Kirkpatrick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 25th, 2004, 01:29 PM   #2
Wrangler

Hey Robert. I don't really know, but would be willing to bet that the GS-400 has a 1/4" NC tripod screw size. This is pretty standard for all the consumer cameras I know.

That tripod in your link appears to be made for still photography which is why it has the 3 dimensional adjustments. This wouldn't give you smooth pans and tilts for video... is there some reason you're looking at this type of tripod instead of one with a video head?

I don't know anything about that company either. You might consider choosing one of the many tripods available at B&H Photo, one of our sponsors. Unfortunately, my experience is that you need to get closer to the $200 range for acceptable quality. Also spend a few minutes browsing though our tripod forum for some good discussions about tripods in all price ranges.
Boyd Ostroff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 25th, 2004, 04:13 PM   #3
Major Player

Yes, Boyd is correct. The GS400 has a standard 1/4-20 thread.
Guy Bruner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 25th, 2004, 06:33 PM   #4
Regular Crew

Thank god I checked with you guys first. :) It's in the pro video section of the Amvona Dyantran website, but the screw size seemed weird. I can't quite afford the $200, but I'm looking at getting this Bogen: Bogen / Manfrotto 728B Digi Tripod (Black) with 3-Way Pan/Tilt Head. It's not a fluid head, which I would prefer, but I tested it out at a local camera shop, and it's has a fairly smooth pan and tilt -- without the jitters or getting stuck that I get with the cheap Ambico tripod I'm currently using.

Thanks again.
Robert Kirkpatrick is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Panasonic P2HD / AVCCAM / AVCHD / DV Camera Systems > Panasonic DVX / DVC Assistant > Panasonic DV / MX / GS series Assistant