upgrading my mx500: wich camera? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Panasonic P2HD / AVCCAM / AVCHD / DV Camera Systems > Panasonic DVX / DVC Assistant > Panasonic DV / MX / GS series Assistant

Panasonic DV / MX / GS series Assistant
...and other Panasonic DV camcorders.

Old December 6th, 2004, 11:51 AM   #1
Regular Crew

upgrading my mx500: wich camera?

Yes I know,
it's a boring question, but wich is the best choice for an upgrade for this camera?
I usually shot wedding, but often I make some little film...Now I think, wich is the best choice? Choose a camera like canon xm2 (little upgrade not so expensive) or wait for a prosumer-camera like sony vx2100(big upgrade-very expensive)?

My little mx500 ccds works very fine in bright light, but when I help my frineds in wedding I must use the older nv-ds28...mx500 imagge is too dark even if the church is very bright...

So i want to say it's better a cheaper camera today or a big camera later? And from a mx500 ther's a Real difference?

Thanks
Marco Mezzalana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 6th, 2004, 03:38 PM   #2
Trustee

I think a big camera later. 8 )

Regards
Leigh
Leigh Wanstead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 7th, 2004, 09:16 AM   #3
Inner Circle

I know the MX500 pretty well and although mighty fine outside in broad daylight, it really struggles as soon as you move indoors. I'm very surprised that you find it ok for weddings, and I'd say go get the VX2k1 this very day.

That Sony is tops for its low light capabilities and when you've been using +18dB of gain-up on the MX500 you'll be open aperture, no gain-up on the VX in the same lighting conditions - it's that good. On top of that you've got the bigger chips, proper ND filters, faster lens, manual zoom ring and info-lithiums. You'll miss the big side-screen of your 500 and maybe the little flash gun, but overall the VX is the one to beat.

tom.
Tom Hardwick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 7th, 2004, 01:44 PM   #4
Regular Crew

Oh no, mx500 is good only for outdoor shoting during wedding, when I'm in the church I forgot my mx500 and power-up my old nvds28, 1 ccd 1/4,7"...it's the only way...well I've a frineds that shoot the church scenes with an xl1s (what difference in low light, unbelievable!!!) but when I compare xl1s outdoors shot and mx500 outdoors shoot, I didn't found a lot of difference, sometimes mx500 is better!

So you think I should expect for a sony vx2100 right?
Marco Mezzalana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 7th, 2004, 02:48 PM   #5
Inner Circle

Yes, I think the VX will be the camera that does all the jobs, inside and out. And it's noticeably better indoors than the XL1s (don't know about the XL2). The VX has come down in price because of the introduction of the FX1, but the latter is a 3 lux camera and the VX is a 1 lux - so some things haven't got better.

Yes, the MX500 in good light is quite outstandingly good, and that's really because of the automatic in-built ND filters that stop you using small apertures. Small apertures give very unsharp pictures when used with such tiny chips because of diffraction.

Pushing 'rdisplay' on replay of the tape might say the shot was taken at f11 (say) but don't you believe it.

tom.
Tom Hardwick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 7th, 2004, 05:48 PM   #6
Wrangler

Another vote for the VX2100. I'm on my second VX2000 (sold the first one and later regretted it) and although I want a GS400'ish cam I don't see my low light champ going anywhere anytime soon.
Tommy Haupfear is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Panasonic P2HD / AVCCAM / AVCHD / DV Camera Systems > Panasonic DVX / DVC Assistant > Panasonic DV / MX / GS series Assistant