Various posts & questions about Panasonic DV / GS / MX camcorders - Page 6 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Panasonic P2HD / AVCCAM / AVCHD / DV Camera Systems > Panasonic DVX / DVC Assistant > Panasonic DV / MX / GS series Assistant
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Panasonic DV / MX / GS series Assistant
...and other Panasonic DV camcorders.

Old February 12th, 2006, 08:14 PM   #76
New Boot

Which External Light for GS150?

Something that doesn't use the camcorder's battery is prefered. Thanks ahead. Budget is flexible.
Long Nguyen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 8th, 2006, 11:14 AM   #77
Major Player

NV-GS400(PAL) Advice

OKay confession time. I spend my time on all these forums because I just enjoy film making techniques etc. I am actually a writer not a technical person. Although if i do say so myself, over the last 2 years here and other sites i do know and understand very much. I digress..

Anyhow, I have never bought a DV cam in my life. Never. So, i am going on holiday this year with my many 35mm adapters which i have bought. So i am thinking of buying a gs400 very seriously, because i think it will be great for an enthusiast/wannabe film maker like me. However can someone answer some questions for me?

1. I am buying the pal version, will it be 25p or 25f. i.e. if it's 25f and deinterlacting fields and not true progressive will it loose resolution?
2. in pro-cinema can i still adjust the shutter speed?
3. is it true 16:9 mode, do i loose resolution if it is not 16:9 mode?
4. is there much motion blur in 25f mode?

What i plan to do with my footage is use a 35mm adapter, shoot a mini documentary for the family on holiday, then crop to 2.35.1

So guys, can you help me?
Yasser Kassana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 8th, 2006, 12:02 PM   #78
Regular Crew

The PAL version of GS400 is 25fps interlaced. It is not progressive. The Pro-Cinema function records at a rate of 25 frames per second and the manual warns you will get a strobe like effect if you use it.

The ccds produce a native 4:3 720 x 576 picture. Nevertheless the 16:9 mode (also 720 x 576) produces, to my eye, a very acceptable 16:9 picture. I now use it all the time. Note that the 16:9 mode is different from the 16:9 Pro-Cinema and Cinema functions - which are inferior in my opinion. I have never used these other 16:9 functions seriously so I cannot comment on blur. I do not suffer from blur in the basic 16:9 mode.

I have no experience of using a 35mm adapter. My suggestion would be to experiment with the camera as it is before fitting one. It is more important to buy a couple of ND filters and a polarising filter, especially if you will be shooting in bright sunlight.
David Andrews is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 12th, 2006, 03:42 AM   #79
Regular Crew

bigger thread are recommended because of less liklyhood of vignetting.
many use 58mm, I use 52mm thread.
Andreas Griesmayr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 25th, 2006, 07:28 AM   #80
Tourist

Canon Optura 50 vs. Panasonic PV-GS180

I have between $400 and $500 to spend on a digital video camera. I have narrowed it down to the Canon Optura 50 and the Panasonic PV-GS180. I plan to use the camera for production of some educational videos as well as a bit of documentary type work. I will be distributing the videos on DVD and on a web site. I have done a bit of digital video already using a borrowed Panasonic PV-GS15, but I want to move up to a quality of production that viewers can take more seriously.

As far as quality of video, does anyone have any real experience with these two cameras?

I have read some reviews and basically the advantages of the PV-GS180 are that it has 3 CCDs and has slightly better low light performance, while the Optura 50 has a larger image sensor, optical image stabilization, and a focus ring.

In general use in fairly good lighting, which can I expect to produce better quality video? Is one larger sensor better than three? I just want the best quality video for the money. Any input on which would be the better camera would be greatly appreciated as I do not have a way to test them in person. If you know of any other cameras to look at in the price range, I’d appreciate it too. Thanks!
Jim Grinaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 25th, 2006, 08:49 AM   #81
Major Player

I doubt you could go very wrong with either models, both are very nice.

A few points:
I don't think the GS180 has a high-resolution native 16:9 mode. I just looked at the manual and it makes references to "the picture quality may deteriorate" and "Images are vertically stretched". See the manual for more details and/or get input from owners, but this sounds like the CCD gets cropped to a 16:9 shape and the image is then digitally stretched. If that is the case, the Optura's 16:9 video will be noticeably sharper.

Also, I don't think the GS180 has manual audio control. When (not if) you add an external microphone, that will be a useful tool.

www.philipwilliams.com
Philip Williams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 31st, 2006, 09:21 PM   #82
Regular Crew

Need help with dv953 (Never mind, I got it)

Never mind, I found the answere. Thank you.

Last edited by Sam Looc; May 31st, 2006 at 11:23 PM.
Sam Looc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 19th, 2006, 09:10 AM   #83
New Boot

Film Look With The Gs-400?

Hi guys i'm about to attempt to make a low, low, ultra low budget music video, I'm going to be using the NVGS-400 for this and I was wondering if anyone knows of any low cost lighting solutions? Or similar ways to create a film like look. I'm going to be using "pro cinema" mode, does anybody see any difficulties with this?
I know i'm asking alot of questions but replies would, as always, be appreciated!
Thanks,
Eddy Strickland
Eddy Strickland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 19th, 2006, 10:51 AM   #84
Major Player

I can't say anything bulletproof about Your camera but i have used several times Panasonic NV-MX500. And in most cases i prefer it to many sd prosumer camcorders.
I use 35mm adapter and important thing is there minimum focusing distance mx500 has very low value for this characteristic. So i don't have to use any condenser which is very often source of another problems.
I use PAL version(i guess You have that privilege as well ) so there's no problem with framerates. mx500 has progressive scan... anyway if You just didn't switch on You can do it in post.So those panasonics pre-prosumer sd cameras are really good stuff.
Frank Hool is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 30th, 2006, 09:06 PM   #85
Regular Crew

Dust inside lens module

Recently I discovered that there is a small dust particle located inside my GS400's lens module near the center of the lens. I can see it behind the glass. In the video footage it's obviously visible, when there are very bright lighting conditions, on higher F-numbers, I guess because of the very high DOF.

Does anyone have a good advice how to remove this particle? Is the GS400's lens module even servicable or a closed unit, which only could be exchanged completely, like on some Sony cams? Thanks in advance!
Andreas Winkler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 31st, 2007, 03:12 AM   #86
Regular Crew

GS500 question on gain and etc

hi all,

just bought a PAL version GS500, and I notice that when i try to manually control the shutter and irs, the camera seems to adjust the gain by itself although there is no increase in the gain value (0DB)

eg, i wanted to PURPOSELY unexpose a scene, and set a very fast shutter and small iris, but as i set the iris smaller, the scene got darker and then adjust back by itself, only when the iris is at its smallest, then the scene starts to get underexposed. anybody has the same experience?

also, what is the best way to shoot a scene if i want to make it slow motion is post? is it shooting in high shutter speed and change the shutter in post?

cheers
Ong Wan Shu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 23rd, 2007, 11:58 AM   #87
Regular Crew

Panasonic PV-GS320

Hi everyone.

I'm considering buying Panasonic's PV-GS320. It's $499, has a manual focus ring, 3ccds, 16:9 aspect and screen, and seems to be great. Only problem is there is no mic jack. Whoever decided that should be shot. Should I still get this camera and try another audio solution? In the same price range, what camera can I get that has all these features AND a mic?

Thanks.
Joey Taylor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 18th, 2007, 11:18 AM   #88
Inner Circle

Have a look at my other reply about the GS500's 'manual control'.

If you want to under-expose the scene you must first put the camera in full manual, and have the shutter speed and the aperture displayed on screen. Then you can either shorten the shutter speed ~ go from the (PAL) default of 1/50th to 1/100th to under-expose by a stop, or close the aperture from an indicated f/5.6 (say) to f/8.

As I explainned, this won't altrer the iris blades at all, it'll simply introduce more internal ND filtration, but (apart from DoF issues) the effect will be the same.

For slo-mo in post I'd keep the shutter speed at 1/50th sec. Raising it badly affects the CCD smear on cameras with such tiny chips, so avoid it at all costs.

If you shoot at 1/50th then everything that happens in front of the lens is recorded to tape. If you shoot at 1/100th, then only half of everything is captured. Slo mo means extending real-time, so you need to give the computer as much info as possible to start with.

tom.
Tom Hardwick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 18th, 2007, 11:22 AM   #89
Inner Circle

That's a bit harsh. Panasonic marketing make a 'camera for everyone' and you're complaining? Sony are the same - their HC3 has no mic input - and that's on an HDV, CMOS 16:9 cam.

Simple answer - the 320 is not for you, and good job you read the spec sheet before handing over the dosh. Many others have been caught by the shiny 3-CCD logo, only to find their audio's stymied.

Wash cars, but get the 500 or 400.

tom.
Tom Hardwick is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Panasonic P2HD / AVCCAM / AVCHD / DV Camera Systems > Panasonic DVX / DVC Assistant > Panasonic DV / MX / GS series Assistant