PV-DV702 and PV-DV852 1 CCD cams at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Panasonic P2HD / AVCCAM / AVCHD / DV Camera Systems > Panasonic DVX / DVC Assistant > Panasonic DV / MX / GS series Assistant
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Panasonic DV / MX / GS series Assistant
...and other Panasonic DV camcorders.

Old September 25th, 2002, 01:51 AM   #1
Outer Circle

PV-DV702 and PV-DV852 1 CCD cams

Besides the Panasonic 3 chip MX300/0 and now the new MX500/0, there's a couple of other noteworthy Panasonic models I think are worth mentioning. They are the PV-DV702 and PV-DV852 (North American models).

The 702 is a small, mega-pixel cam which is jam-packed with features. It's size and design is much like the older Canon Optura PI---it's also quite inexpensive. This past year, 2 of the major computer magazines rated this cam as their number 1 pick, and did so for a number of reasons. The sharp resolution coupled with rich color saturation and "good low light" makes it an excellent choice for the frugal but discriminating buyer.

The 852 looks like the 702's big brother---about 40% larger. It's Panasonic's top 1 CCD cam, and has even more features, like frame mode; and boasts a Leica lens. A useful characteristic is it's lower lux requirement, when compared with all other new 1 CCD, miniDV cams. The playback resolution is a whooping 530 horizontal lines! Nice, huh?
Frank Granovski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 3rd, 2003, 04:39 PM   #2
Outer Circle

It's a good time to buy one of these cams right now, since they are being replaced within a few weeks. The prices won't come down much more, plus you never know if the new 1 CCD models will be as good. You should be able to pick up an 852 for under $1000 US, and under $700 US for the 702. I realize that the 702 doesn't have AV/S-Video-in, but it's a darn nice little cam, with plenty of features to shoot great video. Both cams play back high resolution, and are quite good for lower light shooting...well, not as good as a VX2000 or XL1S---but for the money, they're sure bets.
Old March 3rd, 2003, 07:37 PM   #3
Major Player

Frank,
Am I correct in believing that the DV852 does not have analog inputs?

Nick
Nick Kerpchar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 3rd, 2003, 08:38 PM   #4
Outer Circle

The PV-DV852 does have analog in. It's the PV-DV702 that does not, but nevertheless a fine 1 chip cam. The 852 has great controls, and one of the only 1 CCD cams with an optical stabilizer. Note: the PV-DV852 is the US version of the Japanese Domestic MX1000; and the PAL MX8. It's also a large cam. The 702 is quite small. Both cams are built very nice---solid, with lots of metal.
Old March 4th, 2003, 10:30 AM   #5
Major Player

The MX8 I had has Analogue in/out, DV in/out (tape), USB in/out (SD/MMC), mic in, S-video in/out and something called digital picture.

Very versatile camera. Certainly top of 1CCD cams.

The built in mic is also very good in auto gain control, able to filter out loud background noises to capture voice. Of course, not as good as external mics, but certainly better than many other 1CCD cams from Panasonic and other brands.

But bottom loading...
SW: iMovie, Final Cut Pro, Adobe Premiere, Ulead Video Studio, various little utilities
Yow Cheong Hoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 5th, 2003, 02:52 PM   #6
Major Player

Hey, I know this is a really old post, but Frank, does the DV852 have frame mode? I can't seem to find it on mine if so :D
Bryan Roberts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 5th, 2003, 03:30 PM   #7
Outer Circle

No it doesn't. About a year ago I thought it did, but I was confused with the photo mode. A few members corrected me. I think only the Pana 3 chip hand-helds have frame mode. In fact, I read somewhere that it was Panasonic who first started implimenting frame mode in their higher end consumer cams.
Frank Granovski is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Panasonic P2HD / AVCCAM / AVCHD / DV Camera Systems > Panasonic DVX / DVC Assistant > Panasonic DV / MX / GS series Assistant