Problems shooting PAL? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Panasonic P2HD / AVCCAM / AVCHD / DV Camera Systems > Panasonic DVX / DVC Assistant > Panasonic DV / MX / GS series Assistant

Panasonic DV / MX / GS series Assistant
...and other Panasonic DV camcorders.

Old February 22nd, 2005, 01:21 PM   #1
Major Player

Problems shooting PAL?

Hi all,

I would really prefer to purchase a couple of PAL GS400s. Price is cheaper (than NTSC GS400s in Canada - even factoring in taxes and duty) and better vertical resolution and framerate as well (50i fps). Warranty issues notwithstanding is there a real problem converting 50i in my nle for people who have ntsc televisions? I would use the camcorders for weddings, events, corporate gigs and also for short films hence the attractive 50i.

Any help is appreciated.

sincerely,

ian
Ian Slessor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 22nd, 2005, 07:58 PM   #2
Regular Crew

Ian, why exactly do you think PAL 50i is more attractive than NTSC 60i?
As you live in Canada and seem not need to export your videos to Europe or any other PAL region, I'd suggest you to go for the NTSC version! PAL <-> NTSC conversion is a really difficult thing to do perfectly. The real NTSC footage will look better on NTSC TV sets than converted PAL footage.
Andreas Winkler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 22nd, 2005, 08:33 PM   #3
Outer Circle

Ian, based on what you wrote, stick with NTSC.
Frank Granovski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 23rd, 2005, 05:01 PM   #4
Major Player

Hmmm. An explanation... yes, that might work...

I'm doing wedding and event videography starting...um...Friday.
Anyway my PAL passion was due to the similarity of frame rates between PAL and film. I suppose I had this delusion of producing something that would go to film. Seriously, I just like the frame rate better but considering I'm in NTSC land I'd better stick with non-PAL equipment for the sake of my nle sanity and my clients.

Thanks, Andreas & Frank.

sincerely,

ian
Ian Slessor is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Panasonic P2HD / AVCCAM / AVCHD / DV Camera Systems > Panasonic DVX / DVC Assistant > Panasonic DV / MX / GS series Assistant