[mx500 vs sony 170] frame confrontation at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Panasonic P2HD / AVCCAM / AVCHD / DV Camera Systems > Panasonic DVX / DVC Assistant > Panasonic DV / MX / GS series Assistant

Panasonic DV / MX / GS series Assistant
...and other Panasonic DV camcorders.

Old April 3rd, 2005, 06:42 AM   #1
Regular Crew

[mx500 vs sony 170] frame confrontation

Ok this is a double post, but I think it could be useful even for pana user. If the moderator want it could delete this post...

In this forum I made a cofrontation between 170 and mx500...ok in low light 170 is a lot better, but in daylight...take a look!

http://www.videomakers.net/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?p=40991#40991
Marco Mezzalana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 3rd, 2005, 10:42 AM   #2
Inner Circle

I think the test is a little unfair Marco. If the PD170 was indeed reading f/11 on replay, that means the frame could've been shot at f/11, f/16 or f/22. They'll all read out as f/11 in the v'finder, and the camera would have been calling for the ND1 or indeed the ND2 to avoid the very damaging effect you demonstrate; diffraction.

The Panasonic may well read out f/16 on replay and when you actually took the shot, but you have to remember that this camera has two automatic ND filters that cannot be removed from the light path in bright conditions. So even though the display lies, the Panasonic would have been shooting at its f/4.5 sweet spot, whereas the PD170 would have been silent screaming for the NDs to be inserted.

The church interior shows simple camera shake on the 170 frame, so that's not a fair test either. The Leica lens is a beauty on the MX500, but the barrel distortion at the wide end is pretty severe. It's a good camera at the price, but against the 170 used intelligently, it really doesn't stand a chance. Mind you, it's 1/3rd the price.

tom.
Tom Hardwick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 3rd, 2005, 03:25 PM   #3
Trustee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marco Mezzalana
Ok this is a double post, but I think it could be useful even for pana user. If the moderator want it could delete this post...

In this forum I made a cofrontation between 170 and mx500...ok in low light 170 is a lot better, but in daylight...take a look!

http://www.videomakers.net/phpBB2/vi...?p=40991#40991
Hi Marco,

Would you please repost that in English? I can't understand that post except the number. That will make your post not qualify for double post and help others to read what you wrote. ;-)

Regards
Leigh
Leigh Wanstead is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Panasonic P2HD / AVCCAM / AVCHD / DV Camera Systems > Panasonic DVX / DVC Assistant > Panasonic DV / MX / GS series Assistant