shooting 16:9 with GS120 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Panasonic P2HD / AVCCAM / AVCHD / DV Camera Systems > Panasonic DVX / DVC Assistant > Panasonic DV / MX / GS series Assistant

Panasonic DV / MX / GS series Assistant
...and other Panasonic DV camcorders.

Old July 27th, 2005, 08:51 AM   #1
Major Player

shooting 16:9 with GS120

I suspected that footage shot in THIN mode could be expanded in my NLE as 16:9. To my eyes, it looks promising! First, I created a new project set to a 16:9 aspect ratio. Then, I imported the clip shot in THIN mode. When I viewed the footage in my NLE, it no longer had the horizonally compressed look that it did in the camcorder viewfinder. So I transcoded the short clip to DVD MPEG2 and burned a disc in DVD MovieFactory 2SE (which didn't let me choose an aspect ration, BTW). I made the clip a first-play/autoplay with no menus so it would start playing as soon as its inserted into the DVD player. When the DVD started playing, it looked great -- the DVD player letterboxed it so I could view the full "widescreen" frame on my 4:3 screen.

How can I measure to know if I am looking at a 16:9 image? All the vertical resolution is there (unlike shooting in the GS120's Cinema mode), but the frame is much wider. Has anyone else tried this? I normally don't mess with in-camera effects, but to me shooting 16:9 video isn't an effect -- it's more of a broader palette on which to tell our stories. I don't know if the THIN mode creates a squeezed image at true 16:9, but it looks good and saves the expense of a 16:9 converter lens -- I think the Century Optics 37mm lens costs around $350. I was so thrilled that I shot my mother-in-law's birthday party in THIN mode. I can't wait to start editing that. It will be nice to give people 16:9 video, especially with digital widescreen TVs now mainstream.

Too bad my DVC80 can't do this :( To give my wedding clients widescreen video, I need to use the $700 anamorphic adapter.
Tim Borek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 27th, 2005, 04:32 PM   #2
New Boot

With my 120, I shoot with "Cinema mode" AND "Slim mode" on. When editing, I set it to 16:9 with a 1.0 Square Pixel. I also use a 37mm wideangle Raynox lens I bought off eBay for about 20 bucks, but I don't think its necessary.
Old July 28th, 2005, 08:36 AM   #3
Major Player

Cinema mode robs you of vertical resolution

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chase Davis
With my 120, I shoot with "Cinema mode" AND "Slim mode" on. When editing, I set it to 16:9 with a 1.0 Square Pixel. I also use a 37mm wideangle Raynox lens I bought off eBay for about 20 bucks, but I don't think its necessary.
By shooting in Cinema mode with Slim effect on, you're letterboxing video that's already going to be letterboxed when viewed on a 4:3 display, which looks horrible in my opinion. Why give up all those pixels? To each his own, I guess...
Tim Borek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 28th, 2005, 02:52 PM   #4
Tourist

Slim Mode Access

I also do not use effects on my camera. Is the slim mode you all are referring to an effect? If so which menu is used to access it? Don't have my camera near by or I would check.

I have always assumed the effects were merely fades or some of the cheesey transitions built into the camera, are there others worth using or at least considering?

I appreciate any input.
Mike Legel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 28th, 2005, 03:18 PM   #5
Major Player

Slim mode will let you make a 16:9 DVD, but you loose about the same amount to resolution as masking (in camera cinema mode), and the frame does not get a wider field of view.

The plus is that the DVD will play back letterboxed on a 4:3 TV screen, and full screen on a 16:9 screen (not stretched or pillar boxed).
Bennis Hahn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 28th, 2005, 04:42 PM   #6
Major Player

The wider angle of view is the key. If you aren't getting a wider angle of view in your "16:9 mode," than there is no advantage to it.
Joshua Provost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 28th, 2005, 08:11 PM   #7
Major Player

Tim,
I suspect you are referring to SLIM mode when you say "THIN" mode. Yes, this is an anamorphic 16:9 frame. But, the pixel aspect ratio is not changed from 4:3. So, you have to stretch the video with your editing software.

I use SLIM mode quite a bit to match my GS400's wide mode. It loses a bit of resolution as compared to the GS400, but matches up really well. The advantage to it is that you don't have to crop the video to get the widescreen look.
Guy Bruner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 29th, 2005, 08:07 AM   #8
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Legel
I also do not use effects on my camera. Is the slim mode you all are referring to an effect? If so which menu is used to access it? Don't have my camera near by or I would check.
Mike, it's under Effect 1 in the menu, I believe.
Tim Borek is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Panasonic P2HD / AVCCAM / AVCHD / DV Camera Systems > Panasonic DVX / DVC Assistant > Panasonic DV / MX / GS series Assistant