NV-MX8 / PV-DV852 and pseudo-progressive at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Panasonic P2HD / AVCCAM / AVCHD / DV Camera Systems > Panasonic DVX / DVC Assistant > Panasonic DV / MX / GS series Assistant

Panasonic DV / MX / GS series Assistant
...and other Panasonic DV camcorders.

Old September 9th, 2005, 08:48 AM   #1
Major Player

NV-MX8 / PV-DV852 and pseudo-progressive

Hi all,

I just picked up an MX8 off Ebay and am wondering if it will do the progressive-looking trick by switching to photo mode and recording to my laptop.

Is this a universal trick with camcorders that also record MP images to a memory card?
Brandt Wilson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 9th, 2005, 12:24 PM   #2
Wrangler

Brandt, Congrats on the purchase! I had the MX1000 a while back and it was a great cam!

Unfortunately I never tried the firewire output while in photo-mode but in most cams its a less than desireable effect. I had tried it on my Sony PDX10 and noticeably lost resolution.

No harming in hooking it up and trying though! Maybe share a frame or two!
Tommy Haupfear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 9th, 2005, 02:01 PM   #3
Major Player

Thanks Tommy, I'll let you know what I come up with. I have some experiments to perform, this being one of them.

Is it only the Canon cameras and the JVC gr-dv3000 or 2000 that really benefit from this treatment? I've seen promising results here on the forum before.
Old September 9th, 2005, 04:35 PM   #4
Wrangler

The GR-DV3000U results were definitely impressive. If it had a mic input, better color accuracy, and improved AF it would be a hard cam to pass up. I parted with my DV3000U just last month and now its just me and the VX2000 until Pana (or someone else) releases the next must-have compact 3CCD.

How much does a used DV852/MX8 go for these days?
Old September 9th, 2005, 07:54 PM   #5
Regular Crew

I bought mine around a year ago Tommy for equivalent to $750US. It was a display set that Yow Cheong Hoe got for me in Singapore. I'm just about to sell it as soon as I get my GS400 in a week or two. I'm hoping to get back roughly what I paid for it.

Cheers, Ian
Ian Landy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 12th, 2005, 09:25 AM   #6
Major Player

Price of DV852

I was quoted by a gentleman back in may $425 for a PV-DV852 that he claims only six tapes have gone through. That was a good price, but I didn't have the cash then.

The one I just won on Ebay was a lot less. I haven't heard from the seller, and he hasn't responded to my emails, so I suspect he is trying to get me to default on the auction so he can repost it for more money. We'll see what happens.
Old September 19th, 2005, 08:37 PM   #7
Major Player

Need someone in Daly City to help me track a juvenile delinquent Ebayer

Okay, latest update.

It's been 3 weeks and I haven't heard from the seller. I've sent multiple emails, no response.

I tracked him down in Daly City, CA, and he's a twenty-ish college student. I suspect he's hoping I'll go away, as I'm sure he didn't get the kind of bids that he was hoping, and he didn't put a reserve on it.

Has ebay improved their resolution processes? I haven't heard anything positive in a while, and they haven't gotten back with me.

This guy isn't a member of the forum, so I've found no means of reaching him other than ebay.

I don't want to completely destroy the guy's privacy, but if there's anyone here in the Daly City / Vallejo are that thinks they might be able to help me find the little twerp, I'll provide what info I have. I'd be much abliged.

Thanks,
Brandt
Old September 20th, 2005, 10:30 AM   #8
Wrangler

Brandt, had you already paid the seller?
Old September 20th, 2005, 12:30 PM   #9
Major Player

No, I haven't paid him. I don't want my money tied up by Paypal during all this. He has failed to sell the camera per the price reached at the end of the auction, which is a parallel criterial for a seller gone wrong in the annals of ebay.

The issue is that I want the camera for the price he agreed to, as it is significantly lower than other prices I've been quoted. Otherwise, I'd just post negative feedback and move on.
Old October 6th, 2005, 08:19 AM   #10
Major Player

Okay, latest update to a mostly frustrating, partially humorous saga:

Last week, after hearing nothing from the seller and submitting a payment to paypal, I gave up on the auction and left negative feedback of lack of communication and failure to complete the transaction.

Last night I received an email of "Hey dude, why the negative feedback?"

Apparently, he had gone overseas for his wedding/honeymoon for the period during and after the auction and left the auction in the hands of a friend, but didn't give him access to his ebay, paypal or email accounts.

He asked me to retract the negative feedback, which isn't possible with ebay. I did make a note that we are trying to resolve the issue, though.

I don't know, it still smells fishy to me.

Anyway, we'll see what happens over the next week.
Brandt Wilson is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Panasonic P2HD / AVCCAM / AVCHD / DV Camera Systems > Panasonic DVX / DVC Assistant > Panasonic DV / MX / GS series Assistant