Finally Did it!!! GS400 is on the way!!! - Page 2 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Panasonic P2HD / AVCCAM / AVCHD / DV Camera Systems > Panasonic DVX / DVC Assistant > Panasonic DV / MX / GS series Assistant
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Panasonic DV / MX / GS series Assistant
...and other Panasonic DV camcorders.

Old November 17th, 2005, 08:54 AM   #16
Major Player

Just got it this morning from Fed Ex. Everything was a little "COLD" when I opened the shipping box that held everything....Tripod, camera bag, Camcorder, lenses, etc. So I was patient to open the actual GS400 camera box as to not let condensation form on it. Right now its hooked up to the AC adapter and sitting on the tripod. Very goodlooking camcorder!! I've got everything I need to start playing around except a memory card. But I will either get one today or just use the tapes to grab stills. I feel like a kid with a brand new toy. I'm very excited that I am choosing a hobby that will involve my whole family. My other hobby is woodworking which takes a lot of time "by myself" (which I still appreciate), but I don't get a lot of free time so this will help me spend more time with my Wife and Daughter. But, these will not be just your ordinary home videos. I plan on shooting short stories with them while trying to achieve the cinematic film-look as much as this camera will allow. Then while away at work, I'll have a lap-top with NLE software to do post work. Lovin' it!!!!! Thanks.
Steve Witt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 17th, 2005, 09:49 AM   #17
Wrangler

Steve, that post makes me want a GS400! Congrats!
Tommy Haupfear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 17th, 2005, 11:32 AM   #18
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Witt
I've got everything I need to start playing around except a memory card. But I will either get one today or just use the tapes to grab stills.
Definitely worth getting the SD card for stills. I use this feature (at the highest 4MP resolution) as much as or more than the video on holiday trips. Last trip I took c200 stills - saves carrying a separate digital camera.
David Andrews is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 17th, 2005, 05:25 PM   #19
Major Player

OOPS! I turned the camcorder on with the lens cap on. It says if I do this that the white balance will not work properly. Will this error reset when I turn it back off and then remove the cap and then turn it on again?
Old November 18th, 2005, 03:34 AM   #20
Regular Crew

I do this a lot! I just switch off, remove the cap and then switch on again.
Old November 18th, 2005, 03:50 PM   #21
Major Player

Thanks for the help Dave. I was able to purchase a 1GB genuine SD card. I see that it says not to install or remove the SD card while the power is on. So I guess this means you could install it (while the camcorder is off) and then conceivably leave it in there for several days, weeks, months, whatever until you are ready to take it out. (as long as you don't remove it when the camera is on) Or should you only put it in and take it out each and every time you use it? What do you do? Thanks.
Old November 19th, 2005, 03:55 AM   #22
Regular Crew

Quote:
I see that it says not to install or remove the SD card while the power is on. So I guess this means you could install it (while the camcorder is off) and then conceivably leave it in there for several days, weeks, months, whatever until you are ready to take it out. (as long as you don't remove it when the camera is on) Or should you only put it in and take it out each and every time you use it? What do you do? Thanks.
I must confess that I had not noticed the bit about not installing or removing while the camera is on! Probably, most of the time, it will be off but I am fairly sure I`ve removed a full card and inserted a new card while the camera is switched on.

I always keep a card in the camera, ready to go. I always download accumulated shots after holiday trips, if only to wipe the card for re-use. In between times I will download and sort when I have time or I need the shots to print or for use in editing. I use Canopus Imaginate a lot for creating avi files from digital stills. These are then imported into my nle (Edius 3.5).
Old November 19th, 2005, 01:54 PM   #23
Trustee

Hi Steve,

You don't need to put it in and take it out each and every time you use it. Just leave it there. And use usb2 to download the still photo.

No more trouble and no damage to your card or camera.

Regards
Leigh

Quote:
Thanks for the help Dave. I was able to purchase a 1GB genuine SD card. I see that it says not to install or remove the SD card while the power is on. So I guess this means you could install it (while the camcorder is off) and then conceivably leave it in there for several days, weeks, months, whatever until you are ready to take it out. (as long as you don't remove it when the camera is on) Or should you only put it in and take it out each and every time you use it? What do you do? Thanks.
Leigh Wanstead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 19th, 2005, 02:22 PM   #24
Major Player

Congratulations!! You will certainly have great time with that camera. It does very good video and it's perfect for learning, because it has enough manual controls while still being rather simple to operate.

I know the feeling of "getting a new toy" and that's what most of us probably have when getting new cameras or other equipment. Being able to take the thing out from the box is alone worth the money! :D
Georg Liigand is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Panasonic P2HD / AVCCAM / AVCHD / DV Camera Systems > Panasonic DVX / DVC Assistant > Panasonic DV / MX / GS series Assistant