how to use the GS400 to record directly from TV? - Page 2 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Panasonic P2HD / AVCCAM / AVCHD / DV Camera Systems > Panasonic DVX / DVC Assistant > Panasonic DV / MX / GS series Assistant

Panasonic DV / MX / GS series Assistant
...and other Panasonic DV camcorders.

Old February 22nd, 2006, 10:51 PM   #16
Inner Circle

I never thought about it before, but using the PV prefix for NTSC cameras and the NV prefix for PAL camcorders certainly would seem to indicate a rather dyslexic thought process!

Plug "NV-GS400" into Google and everything that comes up is PAL.
Robert M Wright is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 22nd, 2006, 11:13 PM   #17
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert M Wright
Plenty of DVD recorders are available in the US for $100(USD) or less. I have no idea what prices are like in other countries.

You could get a TV tuner/capture card for your computer too (making sure the tuner is a PAL tuner, of course).
those DVD recorders record in mpeg format directly to DVD, not to HD, right? If using TV card I could record to HD, and would it be another, 'better' format?

are TV cards either for NTSC or PAL only, or could they capture both/either?

my NTSC-GS400 bought in Japan is called NV-GS400
Andreas Griesmayr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 23rd, 2006, 12:34 AM   #18
Inner Circle

At that price, there is no HDD in the DVD recorder. Most DVD recorders can do 8mbps MPEG-2, which is all but overkill for recording from an analog OTA broadcast, unless the codec in the recorder stinks. You can go to Half-D1 when recording from an analog OTA broadcast also, to make the compression much more efficient. You could capture, using a tuner/capture card to uncompressed files (make sure you are using 7200rpm drives, with NTFS formatted partitions, if you have a PC), and then compress using whatever codec you like, later.
Old February 23rd, 2006, 12:41 AM   #19
Inner Circle

Take a look at some captured DV files from your camcorder, with your computer. I'd be pretty surprised if it isn't 25fps, with 576 lines.
Old February 23rd, 2006, 04:18 AM   #20
Regular Crew

thanks again for your answer.
if you don't mind two more minor clarifications please:
1: you wrote: 'Most DVD recorders can do 8mbps MPEG-2, which is all but overkill for recording from an analog OTA broadcast, unless the codec in the recorder stinks.' sorry, this question is just because of my limited English, but the meaning of your words is that the MPEG-2 encoded recordings would do more than justice to the ananlog signal, or in other words that the quality of this recording would be more than enough. Did I understand that right?
and 2: what is 'Half D-1'? ( sorry if my question is very dumb )

and the capture videos from my camera are: 29.970 fps interlaced, 720x480x24, DV
Old February 23rd, 2006, 06:10 AM   #21
New Boot

If you are willing to invest a little money you can buy an external video input card, I don't advise the internal ones, I have had 2 and they were both appauling quality (and they weren't cheap ones either!) I now have a very nice little external video in card which is usb 2.0 so you get good bandwidth going in. It has s-video, analogue and composite in. So it's all I need,
hope this was of help
Eddy Strickland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 23rd, 2006, 06:32 AM   #22
Regular Crew

Quote:
If you are willing to invest a little money you can buy an external video input card. It has s-video, analogue and composite in.
do I understand right that the 'video input card' would connect directly with my TV set, and convert the signal to digital? In other words, no TVcard for the PC needed. How much does such an external 'video input card' cost?
Which would be the advantage/disadvantage of the two setups? ( either 'video input card' connected to my TV or 'TVcard' to receive directly )
Old February 23rd, 2006, 06:59 AM   #23
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andreas Griesmayr
a tuner receiving sattelite TV. So I could hook up a converter directly to my receiver
Doesn't your sattelite reciever have any digital outputs?

PV-GS is NTSC (P stands for Panasonic)
NV-GS is NTSC in Japan, usually black camcorders (N stands for National)
NV-GS is PAL anywhere else
Dionyssios Chalkias is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 23rd, 2006, 07:01 AM   #24
Inner Circle

MPEG-2 files encoded at a bitrate of 8mbps will provide excellent quality recording of over-the-air, standard television broadcasts.

Half-D1 means 352x576 pixels (for PAL) or 352x480 pixels (for NTSC).

Many people record analog broadcasts at Full-D1, which is either 720x575 (PAL) or 720x480 pixels (NTSC).

Half-D1 provides enough resolution for recording standard broadcasts and is a good match.

Full-D1 provides much more resolution than needed to record standard broadcasts, and makes compression less efficient.
Robert M Wright is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Panasonic P2HD / AVCCAM / AVCHD / DV Camera Systems > Panasonic DVX / DVC Assistant > Panasonic DV / MX / GS series Assistant