So is the DV953 the same as the MX5000? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Panasonic P2HD / AVCCAM / AVCHD / DV Camera Systems > Panasonic DVX / DVC Assistant > Panasonic DV / MX / GS series Assistant

Panasonic DV / MX / GS series Assistant
...and other Panasonic DV camcorders.

Old February 4th, 2003, 12:00 AM   #1
Regular Crew

So is the DV953 the same as the MX5000?

I am still confused are they the same or not?
Thanks
Steven Kornreich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 4th, 2003, 12:32 AM   #2
Outer Circle

Steven, I don't know. Panasonic USA does not list the PV-DV953 info/specs. I also e-mailed Panasonic USA, but it takes about 20 e-mails before they get back to you. (I have 17 e-mails to go.)

Perhaps someone else can shed some light for the both us. Any takers?
Frank Granovski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 21st, 2004, 11:58 AM   #3
New Boot

Same question here, I was told the only dif was time of delivery and warranty...has anyone figured out differently since August '02??? I've been reading post after post and cant find a good list of differences....

Thanks!!!
David Andre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 21st, 2004, 12:52 PM   #4
Wrangler

I know the DV953 lacks the skin-tone feature that is on the MX5000 but I think the DV953 would be a better choice if you live in N.A. Besides, if you're going for the MX5000 you might as well have a look at the GS100. :)
Tommy Haupfear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 21st, 2004, 01:13 PM   #5
New Boot

Thanks, but why would the 953 be better than the MX5000 in N. America? They are both NTSC, correct?
Old January 21st, 2004, 01:21 PM   #6
Outer Circle

David, they are both the same NTSC cam, but the skin tone and perhaps one other hookey feature are missing on the 953---that's is no biggie.
Frank Granovski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 21st, 2004, 03:00 PM   #7
Major Player

The 953 also does not work with the underwater housing available for the mx5000. Some kind of circuitry issue. Otherwise, for those not worried about the housing, the 953 seems to be getting positive responses among owners in other fora I've visited.
Patricia Kim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 21st, 2004, 03:45 PM   #8
New Boot

Great so if I were to get the MX5000 instead of the DV953 (which is what I'm concerned about since they say I am getting the "International version of the DV953) then it would actually have more features than the US model??? Sounds good to me!
Old January 21st, 2004, 04:20 PM   #9
Wrangler

Quote:
Sounds good to me!
You're considering the purchase of a MX5000 over a DV953 or am I mis-reading your last post?
Old January 21st, 2004, 06:29 PM   #10
Major Player

The 953 is better if you live in the US bec you can avail of warranty and it is an English version cam.

As Tom mentioned, if you can live with Jap menus and buttons, then you might as well consider the GS100 instead of the MX5K.
Allan Rejoso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 22nd, 2004, 03:26 PM   #11
New Boot

Thanks all for the help.

I want the PV-DV953 in English w/English menus and I'm not too concerned with the warranty since I can buy that aftermarket.

I was told I can get a new 953 but it was the "international" version (but with English menus, etc.) and that the only dif was the warranty and time to delivery. If that's the case, I'm in like Flynn.

I'm not sure why they (A&M photo world) call it the "international" version, but it is coming in from New York probably imported from Japan like the rest of them.

So it's really a matter of trusting the people I ordered it from. I thought the MX5000 was the "international" version of the 953, but apparently they are not the same camera. I will post again when the camera arrives to let you all know how I fared, maybe they are telling me the truth and the only dif is the warranty! Hopefully they're not selling refurbished equipment as new...
Old January 22nd, 2004, 03:29 PM   #12
New Boot

Just to clarify, I have read that the DV953 is an excellent camera with some debate over low light performance. The low light issue is not a major concern for me as I will mainly be shooting outdoors. I am not sure that I want to be "cutting edge" because I would prefer to have a decent camera and save some $$$ at the same time by purchasing last years big thing.

Thanks again for all of the help, I appreciate the responses!!!
Old January 22nd, 2004, 03:35 PM   #13
Wrangler

David, I wish you would have spoken up earlier about A&M Photo World. They are the largest rip-off on the face of the planet (100% scam!). I'm fearful as to what you will receive (if anything).

Read about their wonderful track record here:

http://resellerratings.com/seller1988.html

There is no "international version of the DV953". There are two NTSC versions DV953 and MX5000 with the MX5000 having Japanese menus. The only other version is the MX500 which is in English but unfortunately is PAL and not compatable with the North America's NTSC.

In case you wanted to see the headquarters of A&M

http://www.panix.com/~donwiss/pictures/BrooklynStores/
Old January 22nd, 2004, 04:14 PM   #14
Major Player

Oh my. Dave, is it to late to reconsider the vendor from which you are going to purchase the cam?
Nick Kerpchar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 22nd, 2004, 04:34 PM   #15
Major Player

Dave, Dave, 12gauge,
You didn't listen when I told you on Camcorderinfo that the price was too good to be true.
Guy Bruner is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Panasonic P2HD / AVCCAM / AVCHD / DV Camera Systems > Panasonic DVX / DVC Assistant > Panasonic DV / MX / GS series Assistant