Camera on a budget at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Panasonic P2HD / AVCCAM / AVCHD / DV Camera Systems > Panasonic DVX / DVC Assistant > Panasonic DV / MX / GS series Assistant

Panasonic DV / MX / GS series Assistant
...and other Panasonic DV camcorders.

Old May 20th, 2006, 04:42 PM   #1
Tourist

Camera on a budget

Hi All,

I'm preparing to do a documentary series and have a limited budget due to existing on a disability pension.

The camera needs to be:

3CCD because the product will be available for broadcast. Widescreen due to interviews. Tape and not DVD or micro drive because drives are still developing and and DVDs are easy to damage and both remain expensive compared to digital tapes. And tapes are less prone to damage. The camera can be either SD or HD.

I'm in Australia so the camera will be PAL not NTSC.

The camera needs to have auto and manual focus, zoom, and audio recording level. This rules out the GS300.

The budget is under AUD$1000 and most other issues have already been covered including computer, 300GB external HDD with Firewire and USB.

I know of a few used options including an MX500A but not the series with LCD display problems according to Panas website. There is also a VX1000 possibility. I've read that this model is querky but still robust.

My preference is for a NV-GS500 but it would have to be used as retail is AUD$1780 and the lowest is AUD$1500 and less than AUD$1400 via Hong Kong complete with dodgie tax avoidance issues so that's too risky.

Thanks all.

P.S.: Just out of curiosity, why do Panasonic give PAL version NV-GS500 and NTSC version PV-GS500. Would have been far more logical to do NTSC version as NV-GS500 and PAL version as PV-GS500.
Jonathan Wilson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 20th, 2006, 08:25 PM   #2
Tourist

Odd to answer my own question but how does the PD150 fit into the deal. If a price for a PD150 is less than US$600 is this a good reason to be suspicious of stolen property or more a problem of import taxes.

Someone mentioned that the Canon XM2 will do the job on another list but I could only find an XL2.

What's the deal with import taxes etc with cameras from either the US or UK. Is it a case of who the box is labeled such as 'gift'?

Is the issue these days about PAL or NTSC an issue to be very diligent about. The editing will be on PC with an external drive via Firewire.
Jonathan Wilson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 20th, 2006, 09:27 PM   #3
Major Player

might just be a good deal on the PD150
Bob Zimmerman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 21st, 2006, 01:40 AM   #4
Tourist

So Bob,

What would be considered as a good deal on a PD150. Would that be anything under USD$1000 including freight and taxes?

Thanks.

Jonathan.
Jonathan Wilson is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Panasonic P2HD / AVCCAM / AVCHD / DV Camera Systems > Panasonic DVX / DVC Assistant > Panasonic DV / MX / GS series Assistant