MX5000 v. PDX10 - Page 2 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Panasonic P2HD / AVCCAM / AVCHD / DV Camera Systems > Panasonic DVX / DVC Assistant > Panasonic DV / MX / GS series Assistant
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Panasonic DV / MX / GS series Assistant
...and other Panasonic DV camcorders.

Old April 25th, 2003, 12:15 AM   #16
Outer Circle

I'm not singling anyone out. But I have to wonder if that MX500 you tried may have been defective. Knowing that the MX300 and MX350 plays back 500 lines, and the MX500/0 / PV-DV953 plays back 540 lines, I didn't think that I would have been able to see a difference. I was dead wrong.

In "super low lights," I'm sure the lux is better with the MX300 and MX350---and even better perhaps with the MX8/PV-DV852. However, by how much? Pitance, I would imagine. Honestly, I've heard the sad MX5 LUX story so many times that I started to believe it. Fortunately, a member gave me the opportunity to try her's out. I tell you, it's the best hand-held 3 chip I ever held in my hands.
Frank Granovski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 25th, 2003, 03:29 AM   #17
Major Player

The scenario that I'll use is this particular wedding dinner which I was shooting, when I had both my MX8 and MX350. I was using my MX350 (3CCD, better cam, that's what I believed) all the way. Then, when the couple entered the room, my MX350 tape ran out, so I took the second cam, the MX8, out of the bag and started shooting, while my wife loaded the next tape into the MX350. Now the lights were dimmed and the couple had a 'dramatic' entrance. When the tape change was complete, my ever-helpful wife started shooting with the MX350 concurrently with the MX8 I was shooting with.

Fast forward.

Editing time now, I found that the MX8 captured the dim entrance of the couple, while there was NOTHING except sound on the MX350. But when the bright lights came on, the MX350 does have better colours.

And the MX500 requires more light than the MX350.

That's why I say that the little pitance of difference can become very significant. The MX500 goes blind too soon!

Now, I have checked the MX350 against the MX500, there is a difference in the 'blind' level, and the grain on the MX500 is more pronounced than that on the MX350. That's probably due to the smaller CCD, requiring more light.

Finally, there may just be some difference between the MX500 and the DV953, need someone with both cams to tell us.
Yow Cheong Hoe is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Panasonic P2HD / AVCCAM / AVCHD / DV Camera Systems > Panasonic DVX / DVC Assistant > Panasonic DV / MX / GS series Assistant