Use DV852 just for voice overs at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Panasonic P2HD / AVCCAM / AVCHD / DV Camera Systems > Panasonic DVX / DVC Assistant > Panasonic DV / MX / GS series Assistant
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Panasonic DV / MX / GS series Assistant
...and other Panasonic DV camcorders.

Old April 23rd, 2003, 06:20 PM   #1
Major Player

Use DV852 just for voice overs

Hey all. Well I have this project that is due in the next few weeks in a marketing class of mine and I decided to do a promo video. Budget has it right now that I can't afford the mic that I need/want and I'm trying to make due with what I have. The mic on my DV852 is by far the best one I have around here and I'm trying to find out a way to just record myself talking using my camcorder. I have programs such as Sound Forge, Premiere 6.5 and am running Xp. So far, I have run a coax cable from the audio vid in out switch to a stereo mini jack converter and then to my sound card as the microphone. When I have the camcorder set to video, the sound is mainly distortion and feedback. Then on VCR the mic barely picks up any sound and then on the Card PB function, I get ok volume but the sound quality just isnt that good and there's a ton of white noise when I'm not talking. How would someone suggest I go about getting just audio without simply recording myself talking on DV tape. I have a ton of voiceovers to do and simply running the audio on DV taped while filming black or whatever it's pointed at is not practical. Thanks!
Bryan Roberts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 23rd, 2003, 06:55 PM   #2
New Boot

I'm not sure if this will work, but try just unplugging the speakers from your computer while you're recording. I think the feedback and distortion comes from the camcorder mic picking up the its own recording from the speakers.

Reed
Reed Poole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 23rd, 2003, 07:24 PM   #3
Major Player

Ah, I found out that I had to change a setting in the camera itself under the AV/OUT menu. HOWEVER, now there is an annoying hum and I can only get mono sound even though I have the recorder in Sound Forge set to Stereo. My guess is that the hum is from my plug somehow...
Bryan Roberts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 24th, 2003, 04:10 AM   #4
Major Player

The 852 mic is pretty good, but a lot of digital wizardry goes on in the camera before the sound is recorded onto tape.

I'll suggest that you run the included AV cable and plug in the red and white into a hi amp, then out the amp into your computer's soundcard. This will be done on tape record mode. The logic is that the amp will cut some of the noise. You should then capture teh sound input on your PC.

The hum that you hear is due to the equipment not grounded (earthed). The power leak and causes a hum. I have this problem when I hook the cam life onto my church soundboard. So far, no way out. But the hifi amp that I have works, somehow.

And Reed is right, you should not play out sound fromt he speakers on your PC or the cam itself to prevent feedback.

Hope that this works.
SW: iMovie, Final Cut Pro, Adobe Premiere, Ulead Video Studio, various little utilities
Yow Cheong Hoe is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Panasonic P2HD / AVCCAM / AVCHD / DV Camera Systems > Panasonic DVX / DVC Assistant > Panasonic DV / MX / GS series Assistant