Increasing camera low light and range performance - Page 5 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Panasonic P2HD / AVCCAM / AVCHD / DV Camera Systems > Panasonic DVX / DVC Assistant > Panasonic DV / MX / GS series Assistant
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Panasonic DV / MX / GS series Assistant
...and other Panasonic DV camcorders.

Old April 23rd, 2004, 09:19 AM   #61
Inner Circle

6.5mm
Tom Hardwick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 24th, 2004, 03:32 AM   #62
Inner Circle

That much, going from 35mm flim to 70mm film the standard focal length goes from 50mm to 6.5mm?

By the way, does any body have an old, nice, lense with plenty of wide fast glass with low f, for a film format close to 70mm, they can sell me very cheap? Prime or multifocal with low f. I want to do an adpater, maybe using a low angle holographic diffuser for HD camera.

Thanks Tom
Wayne Morellini is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 24th, 2004, 06:32 AM   #63
Inner Circle

Sorry Wayne - I think I got my wires crossed. I thought you were asking what focal length feeding 1/3" chips gives the same angle of view as a 50mm feeing 35 mm (still) film.
Tom Hardwick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 24th, 2004, 07:41 AM   #64
Inner Circle

Well thanks anyway Tom. I will try asking this question elsewhere once I catch up on some other research stuff.
Wayne Morellini is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 8th, 2004, 08:54 AM   #65
Inner Circle

I forgot to post this quote from:

http://www.dvinfo.net/conf/showthread.php?s=&threadid=22715

Basically what I was talking about all along, and this thread was never a Panasonic thread, so why is it in this forum.

<<<-- Originally posted by Jonathon Wilson : Yes, I'm sorry, Eric - but you will lose the desireable (== short) depth of field most people are striving for in these adapters.

I actually built one exactly as you described because I was frustrated at the amount of light loss with the ground glass. I replaced my ground glass with a 'relay lens' which changes the magnification at the focal point down to the size of my ccd. It worked beautifully -- incredibly bright image... but very long Video-looking depth of field. I basically had the focal length/field of view of my SLR Lens, but depth of field of video.

This makes sense based on how depth of field works. Without painful details - its a factor of the size of the opening the light comes in - and the size if the image plane. With a relay lens, you don't really have an image plane until you hit the ccd. So the math goes from 35mm lens aperture to ccd, just like your video cam lens would do.

With the GG, this becomes a real imaging plane, so the depth of field math is from 35mm lens aperture to the ground glass. Then we just take a picture of that image plane. -->>>
Wayne Morellini is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Panasonic P2HD / AVCCAM / AVCHD / DV Camera Systems > Panasonic DVX / DVC Assistant > Panasonic DV / MX / GS series Assistant