DVC80 vs GL2 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Panasonic P2HD / AVCCAM / AVCHD / DV Camera Systems > Panasonic DVX / DVC Assistant
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Panasonic DVX / DVC Assistant
The 4K DVX200 plus previous Panasonic Pro Line cams: DVX100A, DVC60, DVC30.

Old May 23rd, 2003, 05:55 PM   #1
DVX User

DVC80 vs GL2

New to this forum, hello everyone!

I need a B roll camera, in active scenes where it may get damaged at any time so I want to keep it in the $2500 mark because I am not a millionaire.

I was set on the GL2, until Pansonic threw the DVC80 into the ring. I like the Gl2 lens alot, but I like the metal body of the Panasonic... mmmm

Any suggestions? With this camera I am going to be shooting Active Video and interviews/docs for broadcast.
Jarred Land is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 23rd, 2003, 07:31 PM   #2
Outer Circle

1) Is the DVC80 out yet in Vancouver?
2) The DVC80 is a puffed plastic cam like the GL2. (No metal body.)
3) There is a big price difference between the 2.
4) $2500 Canadian will get you neither of these cams.
5) The DVC80 doesn't have frame mode like the GL2
Frank Granovski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 23rd, 2003, 07:54 PM   #3
DVX User

first of all, the DVC80 has been out since last week. Regardless, We get all our stuff from California, so I dont care if it is in Canada or not.

Next, The DVC80 Chassis is diecast Magnesium, I dont know what camera you are talking about. Maybe you think Magnesium is a puffy plastic, but it's not, it's an alloy.

3) that is my question, which you havn't answered, thanks for pointing it out again though.

as for the 2500 Canadian, I dont come to a US forum and talk Canadian dollars, I talk US dollars.

As for the frame mode, I dont really care, The Gl2 doesn't have progressive mode so It doesnt really matter.

Old May 23rd, 2003, 08:33 PM   #4
Space Hipster

The biggest difference between these cams is the lens. I would think that a major part of your choice. The frame mode is a non-issue unless your post setup is limited -- I stopped using it on my old XL-1 as it can be done better in post with less resolution loss.

The larger LCD on DVC80 is a big difference plus I love the focus mechanism.

The menu and adjustments are a big difference as well. The Panasonic has far more than the GL2.

So, lens, menu, focus, LCD - that's what I would look at to make a choice.
Old May 23rd, 2003, 08:55 PM   #5
DVX User

Stephen, great post thanks!

Which has the better lens in your opinion?

I agree with the settings/LCD part, the lcd looks fantastic on the pany.
Old May 23rd, 2003, 09:00 PM   #6
Space Hipster

It's not so much better as focal lenght. The GL2 is 20X but needs a wide angle adaptor, Pany is 10X wide, but needs tele adaptor.
Old May 23rd, 2003, 09:04 PM   #7
DVX User

great. thanks my mind is made up.
Old May 23rd, 2003, 11:06 PM   #8
Outer Circle

I saw that you put down Vancouver as your location. Last week I checked to see if the DVC80 was out and it wasn't. I think the DVC80 would be a better broadcast camera---though I haven't seen one yet, just read the specs. Sorry I mislead you with my not so normal humour.
Frank Granovski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 24th, 2003, 05:07 AM   #9
Major Player

Jarred,
If you go with the DVC80 would you post your impressions and experience with it? Thanks, Nick
Nick Kerpchar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 27th, 2003, 06:56 AM   #10
Obstreperous Rex

<< As for the frame mode, I dont really care, The Gl2 doesn't have progressive mode so It doesnt really matter. >>

Incorrect -- GL2 does have a progressive, called Frame Movie mode. Not progressive scan CCD's, but same results as progressive scan. It is a 30p mode, one of the main selling points of the GL2 in fact.

Search DV Info Net | 20 years of DVi | ...Tuesday is Soylent Green Day!
Chris Hurd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 27th, 2003, 08:00 AM   #11
Space Hipster

<<<-- Originally posted by Chris Hurd : Incorrect -- GL2 does have a progressive, called Frame Movie mode. Not progressive scan CCD's, but same results as progressive scan. It is a 30p mode, one of the main selling points of the GL2 in fact. -->>>

I'll nitpick. Frame mode offers a pretty substantial resolution loss in frame mode. The same results can be achieved in post with less resolution. Frame mode is only 30 fps, whereas post (magic bullet) offers 24 fps.

Frame mode's only advantage is it is cheap and fast. But you can only have two corners of the three corner production triangle.

FAST

CHEAP GOOD

So, frame mode you give up good. Moving wide shots in 16:9 frame mode look so soft at time as to lose all reasons for shooting DV. So chose your poison carefully.
Old May 27th, 2003, 08:09 AM   #12
Warden

Steve's production triangle is very good except all three criteria are very subjective. The good part is something each user should try to evaluate for themselves. Many GL2 users are very satisfied with the Frame Mode and do not notice the loss of resolution. Some users, Steve for example, find the loss of resolution objectionable. Everyone has different expectations of their cameras and different needs. Evaluate the cameras as they will fit your individual production requirements. One size doesn't fit all.

Search DVinfo.net for quick answers | Where to Buy? From the best in the business: DVinfo.net sponsors
Jeff Donald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 27th, 2003, 08:27 AM   #13
Space Hipster

Of course everything is subjective, but the loss is frame mode is real. Since this thread is comparing the DVC80 to the GL2, I think it's a very small group of buyers that would not be able to tell the difference between true full resolution progressive and not.

My logic is if you like the DVC80 and but like frame mode, you would be much happier with DVX100. If you like the GL2 but need progressive mode, consider magic bullet or similar for post unless you're satisfied with in camera frame.
Old May 27th, 2003, 03:54 PM   #14
DVX User

wow thanks guys.. the dvx100 I am using as the main A camera, buying another one for b of course would be the ideal thing, but is way over the budget.

The reason I was looking at the GL2 is because it is cheap (read disposable) , and I plan on doing some whacko jacko shoots that at anytime could kill the camera. I was looking at the dvc-80 since it is a metal body, looks like it could stand a little more abuse, although it is really pushing the budget.

But the Gl2 has a good zoom, which may benifit me more than I think.

And dont get me started on the GL2 frame mode, it's just like the XL1 frame mode, once anything in your frame gets moving it looks like crap. I wouldnt use it if i got the Gl2.

It would benifit me since i know the way around the dvx100 i wouldnt need to look at the dvc80 manual... but another issue is that this camera is brand new, prices are probally a little high because there is demand for it's pre-release, and it seems like only sketchy dealers have it in stock at this moment.

This is almost a flip a coin decision.. Is there any GL2 users out there that can tell me reliablity of the camera?
Old May 27th, 2003, 04:52 PM   #15
Regular Crew

A saw a few news reports and posts here that indicated the US Army was giving GL2s out like candy to field soldier/journalists in Iraq. Maybe somebody who is a little more familiar with that move can comment on why they chose them, and maybe even get a field report on how they've held up out there? Seems like it would help Jarred out.
Brian M. Dickman is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Panasonic P2HD / AVCCAM / AVCHD / DV Camera Systems > Panasonic DVX / DVC Assistant