import to europe? a tip at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Panasonic P2HD / AVCCAM / AVCHD / DV Camera Systems > Panasonic DVX / DVC Assistant
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Panasonic DVX / DVC Assistant
The 4K DVX200 plus previous Panasonic Pro Line cams: DVX100A, DVC60, DVC30.

Old May 27th, 2003, 04:37 AM   #1
Regular Crew

import to europe? a tip

If you consider importing the dvx-100 from one of the cheeper deal providers around, into a EU country, then this one is for you:

In two hours the camera should finally arrive in my hands. i bought it from a well established dealer (i rather not exposing the firm's name here, it's also doesn't really matter...) and now, after i'm aware to the general extra costs, i'm willing to share my experience...

So, when and if you do so, and after adding the shipment fee, keep in mind that VAT taxes, around 16% (depends where you're living, i'm in Germany) must be payed, no matter what. then add a 14% customs!
the good's customs code can be taken by the customs' officer as 14% or either zero. for me it was 14%!
why? the customs say: because it able to record!

It's hard to tell the difference only by looking at the two customs codes' description in the EU duty website (http://europa.eu.int/comm/taxation_c...en/tarhome.htm), but bottom line - i pay a total of 3,800€ for a camera that listed 3,142$ - exactly the same amount offered here by a local trustable dealer.

Thinking over again, stick to your local dealer!
Now let's hope the camera is ok and i'll be a happy puppy...
Shai Levy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 27th, 2003, 08:19 AM   #2
RED Code Chef

This is a known problem with taxes and customs here in Europe.
Besides I would never buy such an expensive item overseas
because of:

1. warranty

2. different standards (NTSC vs. PAL).

I hope you got a PAL camera.....

Rob Lohman, visuar@iname.com
DV Info Wrangler & RED Code Chef

Join the DV Challenge | Lady X

Search DVinfo.net for quick answers | Buy from the best: DVinfo.net sponsors
Rob Lohman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 27th, 2003, 09:41 AM   #3
Regular Crew

sure, i have both PAL and a warranty...!

:)
Shai Levy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 27th, 2003, 09:54 AM   #4
New Boot

Shai,

I'll be getting a camera very soon. If I decide to buy from America, I was expecting to pay around 5-7% import tax (and then 17.5% VAT on top). I've looked at the TARIC website and under every code that could represent my camera (a PDX10), it says 0% duty. The codes I looked at were 8525401100, 8525409900, and 8525409100. What code did the customs people say your camera came under?

I already know that I will have to pay some sort of import, but I certainly wasn't expecting 14%! Maybe UK is different to Germany? I'm not too sure how this TARIC website works, and I'm not relying on it for concrete data.

All this makes me wonder why prices are so much more in UK than in USA. After all, aren't we both importing the goods from Asia?

One last thing. The warranty that comes with the camera means I can contact Sony UK with any problems right? I don't want to have to pay to ship it back to the US for a loose screw.

Steve
Steve Pierce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 27th, 2003, 12:09 PM   #5
Major Player

Quote:
If I decide to buy from America, I was expecting to pay around 5-7% import tax (and then 17.5% VAT on top). I've looked at the TARIC website and under every code that could represent my camera (a PDX10), it says 0% duty. The codes I looked at were 8525401100, 8525409900, and 8525409100. What code did the customs people say your camera came under?
Steve, I think that you would be better off speaking to Customs & Excise rather than using the website. When I imported a lens from a well-known shop in NY that ships Internationally, I contact CE to get an idea of customs duty. For a £600 lens it was about 7%.
Quote:
The warranty that comes with the camera means I can contact Sony UK with any problems right? I don't want to have to pay to ship it back to the US for a loose screw.
It depends on the basis of the warranty. That shop in NY that I mentioned has two types of product, USA and grey import. The warranty differs and that determines where you can take your equipment for servicing. But this may differ with different manufacturer. Check with your dealer first!
Nigel Moore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 27th, 2003, 03:54 PM   #6
Regular Crew

all true nigel...
best is to check personally with the customs. tell them the exact camera model and they will look through their lists. UK shouldn't be any different then Germany regarding customs, but check this:
(quote the firm's advice)
----------------------------------------------------------------------
"Different EU countries may apply a different code to the same item. The most disputable commodity code is that for video cameras. We invoice with code 8525309090 on which duty is 4.9% in the EU. Some customs offices insist it's 85254099 - 14%, some 85254011 - duty free. Please note that the local customs officer has the final say about which code applies, though generally the customs code on the invoice is not questioned."
----------------------------------------------------------------------
from the Taric website you cant really understand anything.. i really thought that the DVX100 fits perfectly the 4% code description...
the basic warranty comes with the camera does not cover local services.. usually you will have to pay shipments of parts, though i'm sure it's all individual to the deal / warranty package you get.

someone said that the PAL version of DVX100 has no analog inputs (well, it has but) it was made just to shift the status of this camera to a lower case for customs. this limitation was made in the camera's software and could easily be changed later... a rumor
Shai Levy is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Panasonic P2HD / AVCCAM / AVCHD / DV Camera Systems > Panasonic DVX / DVC Assistant