ProZoom DVX at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Panasonic P2HD / AVCCAM / AVCHD / DV Camera Systems > Panasonic DVX / DVC Assistant
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Panasonic DVX / DVC Assistant
The 4K DVX200 plus previous Panasonic Pro Line cams: DVX100A, DVC60, DVC30.

Old June 1st, 2003, 02:55 PM   #1
New Boot

ProZoom DVX

Maybe you guys can give me some feedback on this. I saw an advertisement for this new zoom controller for the DVX and I;m wondering if this is what we've been waiting for. From the face value it looks as if you can set your zoom speed and then control the zoom. This is what most people have been waiting for I assume. Because the ZOE and Varizoom only go as slow as the slowest setting on the DVX which isn't slow at all, in terms of matching a "cinema-like" zoom. It looks far to "DV." Well the question is, if anyone knows anything about this or owns one, your comments would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance.

http://www.studio1productions.com/dvx100.htm
Mike Curcuru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 1st, 2003, 07:25 PM   #2
New Boot

I am curious as well

If anyone has some experience on this please speak up. This is what I have been waiting for if it truely does what it says.
Old June 1st, 2003, 07:43 PM   #3
Obstreperous Rex

<< Because the ZOE and Varizoom only go as slow as the slowest setting on the DVX which isn't slow at all, >>

The Studio 1 ProZoom won't be any different in this regard. The slowest zoom speed is a limitation of the camera lens, not the controller.

I'm aware that some VariZoom controllers can access a step or two faster or slower on a few Canon and Sony camcorders, but not the on DVX100 or DVC80. That's as slow as that lens is made to go, sorry.

Search DV Info Net | 20 years of DVi | ...Tuesday is Soylent Green Day!
Chris Hurd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 1st, 2003, 07:46 PM   #4
Wrangler

Re: ProZoom DVX

<<<-- Originally posted by Mike Curcuru : in terms of matching a "cinema-like" zoom. -->>>

I am by no means questioning the value of a zoom controller. But that statement calls to mind a paragraph in Scott Billups' "Digital Moviemaking"

----------------------------
One of the biggest tip-offs that you're watching video is a zoom. DON'T ZOOM! DON'T EVER ZOOM! It doesn't matter whether or not you think a zoom will enhance the end result!

He then suggests that you take a legal pad and watch your 10 favorite movies, then list all of them that have zooms (not dolly shots).

After viewing all ten of your favorite movies please notice how nice and clean your yellow pad is. Zooms are for weddings and home video.

Please forgive me for straying from the topic... ;-)
Boyd Ostroff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 1st, 2003, 08:15 PM   #5
New Boot

First off, if anything, zooms are now being used more in current movies than at any other time before. I agree with you 100% though. Zooms are meant for weddings and such, but take for example the opening scene from The Godfather. That's a zoom. It depends on the situtation. Yes it should be limited i agree, but to not use any at all is not that smart either. I'm wondering if the new varizoom that is coming out will have this function. I remember my old Panasonic SVHS camera that i had a varizoom for. You set the speed on a dial(like pro zoom controllers) and then handled it from there.
Old June 1st, 2003, 08:56 PM   #6
Trustee

The Studio1 factory is actually in my neighborhood. From my past experiences with them, I suggest you give them a call and ask any questions you may have.

They're very helpful and truthful about what their products can and cannot do.
Imran Zaidi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 4th, 2003, 06:55 AM   #7
Regular Crew

I have the ProZoom DVX. It works great with the DVX100. One feature they put on their controller is the dual zoom mode. For me, I preset the zoom speed, then just hit the zoom in or zoom out button when I need to zoom. In the other zoom mode, you turn a knob to zoom in or zoom out. The farther you turn the knob to the left or right, the faster it will zoom. This allows you to ramp up or down the zoom. Personally, I don't need this, but I have used it a couple of time and it is there if you do need it.

The controller is well made and it is priced right at $150.

You can't focus with it, although no device that is connected to the remote jack on the DVX100 can control the focus. Panasonic didn't build that option in to that port.

I did borrow a Varizoom DVX controller and tried it with the ProZoom. They both give you the same control of the zoom speeds, but for my needs I still like the ProZoom. It gives me more flexibility.

Hopes this help you guys that had questions. Rob
Rob Taylor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 4th, 2003, 08:38 AM   #8
New Boot

Rob,
Thanks a ton for the review, it's exactly what I've been looking for someone to answer with. Perfect review. I also tried the varizoom and the zoe and was not impressed with them, even after owning previous products from them. The Stealth DVX just simply is not a steady zoom "pushing" a knob. All I'm really waiting on now is that remote focus from Varizoom. From what I hear it's supposed to be great. Anyone have any idea on an update on this or a price tag? I read in some old posts that there was a tentative date of the end of May in there. Thanks.
Old June 4th, 2003, 11:08 AM   #9
Regular Crew

I talked to Studio 1 this earlier today and they are shipping the ProZoom DVX. They are also looking into a focus controller. Rob
Old June 4th, 2003, 11:42 AM   #10
Major Player

Re: Re: ProZoom DVX

<<<<<I am by no means questioning the value of a zoom controller. But that statement calls to mind a paragraph in Scott Billups' "Digital Moviemaking"

One of the biggest tip-offs that you're watching video is a zoom. DON'T ZOOM! DON'T EVER ZOOM! It doesn't matter whether or not you think a zoom will enhance the end result!>>>>

This is why I just love "experts." The first thing an "expert" should learn is, please, don't say "never" and/or "always." There is no such thing. These are tools and there may be sometime when they are the right tool. You would be surprised at how many zooms are "buried" in dolly moves in major productions. Certainly television shows do it frequently. As for naming ten movies, I just watched (and loved) "Personal Velocity" and there were plenty of zooms in it, and they didn't bother me a bit. Another little film that comes to mind that has a zoom in it: "The Shining" by Stanley Kubrick.

The important thing is not that you zoom or don't, but that you understand the difference in what they look like and what impact they have on the viewer. Then you can make the decision to use a zoom or not. Of course nothing done to excess is a good thing.

A couple comments on the other notes in this thread. There are no professional zoom controllers that are operated by buttons, ala the Studio One. The variable speed pot on professional cameras that is referred to is actually a mechanism that varies the speed range of the zoom. Not quite the same thing as with the Studio One. And certainly can't be expected from a low priced camera lens or controller. That said, at one hundred fifty dollars, the Studio One may be a very good deal.

My personal choice after trying a number of controllers last year is the Zoe. This unit offered the feel most similar to the controllers I have operated on professional cameras, and was way ahead of anything else. I have not tried the new Varizoom Rock, but I am struck by its physical resemblance to the Zoe, which it followed to the marketplace. What a coincidence.

If it was easy, they'd get a relative to do it.
Wayne Orr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 4th, 2003, 02:50 PM   #11
Regular Crew

Hi Wayne,

Everyone has different needs for zoom controllers. Like I said I tried the Varizoom, while it works well, it didn't fit my needs. The Studio 1 ProZoom does. I like that I can set a speed and press a button and the zoom holds at that speed for the entire zoom in. Why? Read on.....

With the Varizoom, more than once I pressed too hard and the zoom speed would change in the middle of the zoom. This is why I went with the ProZoom. I wanted to make sure I had a constant steady speed no matter how hard I hit the button.

I can see if you are only going to be shooting on a tripod this may not matter, but I am working in a run and gun situation using a camera shoulder brace. I am shoot moving subjects, sometimes while I am turning my body capturing the action. Using a zoom controller that changes speed while pressing a rocker switch doesn't work well in this type of situation.

You may be correct that other professional controllers don't work this way, however, I know of a few pro cameramen (one works for MSNBC, others are freelance) who are using the ProZoom on their Sony cameras in the field and they are the ones who recommend it to me. So.... their are people, like myself, who find that this product fits their needs.

Wayne, I have read several of your posts in the past before joining DVInfo.net and sometimes you seem to forget that we all don't shoot the same way. After all we all don't shoot with the same model of camera, nor do we all drive the same type of car....

Cheers, Rob
Old June 4th, 2003, 03:50 PM   #12
Major Player

Actually Rob, my post indicated that my controller of choice for my PD150 is the Zoe, not the Varizoom. Or, should I say, "any of the many Varizooms"? But as much as I like the Zoe, it is not a "professional" controller, nor is it priced as such, nor do I expect totally professional results. I did not like the Varizoom when they were using the buttons to zoom in and out, and I assumed I would not like the Studio One for similar reasons.

As a professional camera operator, I only give my opinions based on my experience, and what has worked well for me. These opinions I pass on for your consideration when you are "shopping," but they are certainly never meant to be the final word, nor are they going to be greeted with enthusiasm by everyone. Sometimes they are going to just piss people off. Sorry about that.

I confess I have never seen any professional news shooters using consumer level gear, like the Studio One, or the Zoe, or the Varizoom. News shooters using betacams and similar cameras zoom with the lens controls, and don't bother with the optional controllers. A few will mount the professional controllers from Canon or Fufinon to the mount located below the lens. Even when they use tripods, they don't use controllers on pan handles. Why? Because in the close confines of news conferences, if you have a pan handle sticking out, you're gonna get it bumped by your neighbor. Accidentally of course. So even with the tripod, they zoom from the lens control.

Recently, some news agencies have begun using small format cameras for some of their assignments, and very likely some of these shooters may be using consumer controls. I don't know, because it has been a long time since I have been in the field on news. But the shooters I have seen at the award shows recently, and doing interviews for "E," and Entertainment Tonight, still work the way I indicated above.

I said in my earlier post that I thought that maybe the Studio One was a good deal for the money. I also think the Canon ZR 1000, which is almost never mentioned, is a great unit for $185.00. But I don't believe it is as good as the Zoe for over $300.00, which is not as good as a Fujinon for thousands of dollars.

Rob, I feel my purpose here is to provide advice based on my professional experience, but I never intend for it to be the "last word." Maybe I can cut through some of the smoke that certain manufacturers are blowing to get you to open your check book. Some people also set themselves up as "experts" on these forums, when in fact they have little more experience than you. They just happen to write about it. When I think that those individuals in their enthusiasm have maybe gone a bit too far, I try to rein them in and point out what I feel are their errors. Some take it well, some don't. That's OK. I'm not here to win friends (although I do appreciate the nice comments that I occasionally receive), anymore than a teacher in school is there to "be your buddy." But if I can save someone from making a bad purchase, or show them how they are being manipulated through spurious advertising, or expose the flat out lie, then I'm OK with that. And along the way, I'll try to point you to what I feel are some worthwhile products, and provide some tips that only come from many years of stubbing your toe.

Thanks for taking the time to write your comments, Rob. If you have anything else you would like to post to me, or questions, just send them to me direct.

If it was easy, they'd get a relative to do it.
Wayne Orr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 4th, 2003, 06:05 PM   #13
Regular Crew

Wayne your points are well taken. Just to inform you, I do know that MSNBC has PD-150's and have the ProZooms with them. Tony Richards, is a cameraman for them and he was in Iraq using this combination. His opinion of the ProZoom is what sold me on getting the ProZoom for my DVX.

I have worked with controllers on betacam equipment for years and you are right they are not the same, but neither is the cameras they are being used on.

I am just glad that Sony, Canon and Panasonic have ports for zoom controllers on the mini-dv format (among others). I'd sure hate to lug around a betacam camera anymore.... lol.

Rob
Old October 10th, 2003, 09:49 AM   #14
Major Player

I am a little puzzled at exactly what kinds of zooms you can do with these controllers. I am looking into getting one of these items, but I am not sure if they do what I want: I want to do ULTRA SLOW zooms like in the movies. For example, in Jurassic Park, they do an ultra slow zoom on that cup of water which vibrates from the T-Rex.

You see alot of these types of zooms in documentaries when they are shooting artifacts.

Can I do this with one of these controllers? If so, which one? Thanks.
Nick Medrano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 10th, 2003, 09:52 AM   #15
Space Hipster

I've just completed a review of the StealthDVX that Chris will be posting in the next few days. I found it a pretty useful device and capable of the slow zooms, though not slower than the DVX100 servo motor allows.

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Panasonic P2HD / AVCCAM / AVCHD / DV Camera Systems > Panasonic DVX / DVC Assistant