DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Panasonic DVX / DVC Assistant (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/panasonic-dvx-dvc-assistant/)
-   -   DVX100 -- various topics (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/panasonic-dvx-dvc-assistant/10753-dvx100-various-topics.html)

Ozan Biron October 19th, 2003 08:31 PM

Time Code issues

I have a minidv tape with a bunch of timecodes breaks. The timecode jumps all over the place threw out the hole tape which obviously makes it hard to batch capture...

I kinda have a brain fart but... how can i refresh a minidv tape with new timecode? I've tried laying new timecode with the DVX but had troubles when i jumped back and forth between VTR and CAMERA. I ended up with more breaks again as the timecode doesnt stay consistent.

Shai Levy October 20th, 2003 02:37 PM

set time code on regen and avoid switching off the camera. every time before start recording, hit rec check. that will bring back to the last time code, but after switching the camera off and on again, push slightly the rewind button and set manually to the end of the last shot.

Matthew Phillips October 22nd, 2003 11:51 PM

Internet Camera distributors

I am trying to buy a DVX100, and I have been getting the run around with some of these online distributors. Like one sales person I talked to told me that ground-shipping form New Jersey to Dallas, TX would 3-4 weeks. I asked him if his shipping company was still using covered wagon? Another thing I have came across is the old bait and switch deal where they quote you one price then once they have your credit card number the price magically rises about $400.

Where is a good online store?

If you are in the Dallas area where could I buy it from physical store?

Thanks for your help

Matt

Dan Lahav October 23rd, 2003 12:01 AM

Before everyone starts telling you not to ask this question here, here is the link to dvinfo's reputable sponsors:

http://www.dvinfo.net/sponsors/index.php

Yang Wen October 23rd, 2003 08:38 PM

Puldown not work!!!! ARGG.

Ok, I'm doing some compositing work on stuff I jsut show. It was shot in F5(Normal 24P) and for some reason, I can't get rid of the interlaced fields which ever pulldown I use. Some shots would be pure progressive but soem would have fields!! I'm using AFX anyone else seen this problem? thanks

Stephen van Vuuren October 24th, 2003 12:12 PM

What AFX settings are you using for interpret footage and composition?

Ted Banucci October 26th, 2003 04:01 AM

Where to buy your MQ tapes?

Anyone have some good suggestions of where to get the Panasonic MQ tapes in bulk prices? And is this everyones preferred tape? Seems like from most of the posts this is the case.....

Ted

Jeff Donald October 26th, 2003 05:54 AM

Do a search, this topic has been covered extensively. This is a link to our sponsor page, please support these forums and this community by supporting our sponsor.

Mike Zorger October 27th, 2003 09:14 AM

A/V cords

Where can i find A/V cords for my dvx100 because i didnt get any with my camera.????

Nick Medrano October 27th, 2003 09:23 AM

electronics store:)

Steve Nunez October 28th, 2003 08:02 PM

Mic options?

Hi DVC/DVX users......

I know next to nothing about mics and would like to get a mic for my DVC80. How do you go about getting a mic with xlr connectors with the right length cable for the DVC? Do mics come with a certain length cable and the end user is supposed to cut it to fit the application? The DVC/DVX would need a very short length cable to go into the xlr input....and i would prefer a mic that would fit perfectly in the holder the DVC comes with....how do I go about making a choice and getting the right length cable?

(PS- I'd like a mic that would zoom out as i zoomed out with the camera- I want to pinpoint audio as accurately as possible to capture what I am zooming at- like a bird chirpping in a tree 20 feet up and only the chirping- I guess to whatever degree of audio pattern the mic s able to acquire)

Steve Nunez October 28th, 2003 09:14 PM

Also- has anyone tried using a parabolic mic with an XLR connector into the DVC/DVX?

Parabolic seems like the best option for distant audio sources.

James Cowan October 30th, 2003 07:04 AM

dvx heads

i just got my dvx100 a few weeks ago. i keep reading on hear how people are using decks or other cameras as capture devices (or to fast forward and rewind tapes). I'm about as newbie as they come so could any of you please exlain why i would go to the trouble of getting an extra camera or a dv deck to do these things? How much does this cost to replace heads on the camera? How soon will the heads wear out?

also is there a disparity in how hard recording, playing(capturing to pc), and rewinding and fast forwarding is on the camera or do they all wear out the heads the same amount? It seems fast foward and rewind would be the hardest on the heads but is one of them worse then the other?

-peace-

Peter Sieben October 30th, 2003 12:19 PM

I also would like to know the answer to James question, as I will pick up my DVX100 tomorrow.

Is it true that the tapeheads are being used during fast forwarding/backwarding the tape without seeing the image in speed-up motion? I can't image that.

I think have read in some Panasonic brochure that they incorporated the mechanism around the heads etc that's the same as in the pro/dvcam machines they sell. You could presume that this is also an advantage, not something that makes the DVX100 critical with tapes.

Peter Sieben

Jan Wellmann November 6th, 2003 11:38 AM

25P vs 50i tests

If anyone cares to comment and find logical faults in below I would appreciate it!

I did some tests with DVX100 25P setting ON and OFF, using Matrox 100 and premiere Pro. Here is the strange conclusion:

It doesn't matter whether you
- capture with progressive or field first
- export with progressive or field first
- set specific clip settings to interlace or non-interlace

The end result is the same: 25P material will have smooth, filmlike blur in moving objects, and 50i will produce TV interlace stuff which looks smoother only in broadcast environments. The 25P blur is superior in all environments.

This, in my understanding, is due to the fact that in 25P recorded version 50i consecutive frames are identical. Correct?

Any experiences out there?

Stephen van Vuuren November 6th, 2003 12:11 PM

Yes, that's correct. The same is true with 30P and 60i on the NTSC model. Both field are captured at the same moment in time in 25 or 30P, so they work seemlessly in an interlaced post environment.

Chris Mueller November 20th, 2003 10:23 PM

Cuts on a 29.97 timeline

Is it possible to make cuts anywhere on the timeline from 24p Standard footage in any nle when not on a true 24 frame timeline? I read in the Long/Schenk book that unless it was reverse telecine'd, it woulnd't be possible to make proper edits (because it'd be on a 29.97 timeline). Is that true?

Stephen van Vuuren November 21st, 2003 10:44 AM

You have to avoid cuts on judder frames (see 24p white paper) where on 24p frame split across 2 29.97 frames.

Nate Chai November 22nd, 2003 09:30 PM

Advice on backing up tapes?

Was wondering if there are some default settings used to back up dv tapes.

I have the pv-dv53 and dvx100. I was going to use the dvx100 as the record deck and dv53 as the play deck. I was wondering what settings, if any should be used on the cameras. On the dvx100 I have the “1394 tc regen” ON. I assume you just start the playback deck(dv53) and press record on the dvx100.

This seems how to do it but just wanna make sure before I start backing up endless hours of footage. If this is wrong or if there is a better way of doing it please let me know. Thanks.

Rob Lohman November 24th, 2003 01:04 PM

I think this is the way indeed. The option on whether you want
new timecode or the original timecode is probably a personal
preference.

Yang Wen November 26th, 2003 09:52 AM

One audio channel affecting the other?

I'm editing a wedding I shot recently. I had a wireless receiver on one channel and my shotgun on another channel. and I've noticed that whenever the groom breathed heavily on the wireless lav, and causing a clipping on the wireless channel, it would cause a drown-out of the audio on the other channel. Anyone noticed this? any idea why it would do this? AGC was turned on, so could the AGC circuitry be doing it's work on both channels if it's detecting one is clipping?

Stephen van Vuuren November 26th, 2003 10:33 AM

I'm pretty sure AGC is not channel selectable so it would cause a reaction on all channels being recorded at the time.

Chris Hurd December 4th, 2003 12:08 AM

Adam Wilt reviews the DVX100A

Howdy from Texas,

The pre-press version of Adam's article is flawed by various typographical errors (not of his doing -- blame his editors); however it is available at dv.com. Enjoy,

Jarred Land December 5th, 2003 01:50 PM

Thanks Chris.. it's a great article, written by one of the gods of the industry.

Cane Carrington December 9th, 2003 09:27 PM

stutter look - gladiator - frame mode ?

I am looking to buy between the dvx 100a or the xl1s but the only feature stopping me from the dvx at the moment is the "frame mode" feature on the xl1s - which supposedly creates that fast hi-energy stutter look - like in gladitor or saving private.. & more recently "28 days" danny boyle, in an article here:
_
http://www.28dayslaterthemovie.co.uk/video/featurette_hi.html
_
he talked about using "frame mode" on the xl1s to acheive this mad fast stacatto effect - that I have seen on a few music videos also.
Is this possible on the dvx100 or dvx100 a ?

Stephen van Vuuren December 9th, 2003 09:52 PM

Check some of the links at the top of this forum, especially Adam Wilt's site, for detailed information, but the short answer is, anything the XL1s does, the DVX100/a does better... (except interchangeble lenses)

Frame mode is simply 30 frames per second rather than 60 interlaced frame. However, it's not full resolution, but used pixel shift to give about 360 lines rather 480.

The DVX100/A do both 24 and 30 frames per second, full resolution with much finer control of gamma, detail, matrix etc.

The staccatto gladiator, ryan look is using a narrow shutter angle which you can simulate using a high shutteer speed (1/250 or so), speed and lighting changes.

Lambis Stratoudakis December 24th, 2003 08:31 AM

Can the AG-DVX100 roll a slave DV camcorder?

Hello and Marry Cristmas !

Can the AG-DVX100 roll a slave DV camcorder?
So that I have a safety tape from what shoot without having to pull a dub afterwards?

Lambis

Peter Jefferson December 24th, 2003 09:08 AM

yup, ther eare actual settings you can configure to trigger the start, whether it be a duplicate recording, or whether is a start point set according to tape remaing from the master (basically it allows non stop recording with seemless tape change :) )

Brian Zamen January 8th, 2004 11:10 AM

100a zoom range

what is the zoom range on the dvx100a with the stock lens?

Barry Green January 8th, 2004 12:56 PM

10:1, from 4.5mm to 45mm (32.5mm - 325mm in 35mm equivalent terms)

Young Lee January 8th, 2004 09:47 PM

DVFilmMaker & S-Spline Pro

This time, there's far less jaggies--thanks to DVFilmMaker.

http://www.dvuser.co.kr/zboard/view....sc=asc&no=9491

Oh, those grabs are from my MX5000 video footage, but I just wanted to show you guys what DVFilmMaker and S-Spline Pro can do.

Young Lee January 8th, 2004 10:10 PM

Frame Grab Uprezzed to 1280x720

http://www.dvuser.co.kr/zboard/data/gallery/srule2.jpg

Neftali Cano January 12th, 2004 09:54 PM

Mack Warranty...?

I am planning on replacing my PD100a with a DVC80 for industrial work...but I wanted to know what luck or comments buyers here have had with purchasing a Mack warranty.

I have bought from BH before, but I bought into a GE finance warranty on both my vx1000 and pd100a. Both of these cameras were serviced by a local Sony dealer with no problem.

Not sure about this Mack, which does sound good for $169 and 4 years.

Also, anyone know offhand if/when buying with an AmEx (business) if they extend the warranty for you? I will call of course, but if I can get at least a 2nd year then I probably would forgo the 4 year Mack warranty.

NEF

Stephen van Vuuren January 12th, 2004 10:11 PM

I've got and had them but never had to use one (knock on wood). I have transferred the warranty to another buyer, so that works.

Kris Sears January 18th, 2004 07:03 PM

Shotgun mic query . . .

Hey there. I am interested in getting a Panasonisc DVX 100 and want to know which mic would be suitable for it. I have a limit of $200 to put into it. I plan on using the camera for documentary filming and would like the best pick up that a mic can offer. Thanks.

Aaron Koolen January 18th, 2004 09:01 PM

Kris, do a search for "shotgun" or such on the forums. There have been large threads going on very recently that tested a whole range of mics, shotguns, cardiods, hypers etc. I'm not sure but you might be able to get an Oktava MC012, single capsule, for a couple of hundred.

Here's one of the threads

Cheers
Aaron

Scott Plowman January 21st, 2004 02:57 PM

DVX 100A Head Reliability

I thougth I had read somewhere awhile back that the heads on the new DVX 100 "A" were improved.. I am unable however to find any reference to this within panasonic literature.. Can anyone shed light on this issue???? Thanks

Stefan Scherperel January 22nd, 2004 01:08 AM

We'll I can't give you any official information, I can tell you that I have 20hrs logged on the 100a and still have yet to see a single drop out. I even shot the first tape (a practice tape for me) in LP mode, and still got perfect footage. I only use the MQ tapes, so I can't say with other tape brands.

Vincent Im January 23rd, 2004 08:03 PM

max weight on shoe

Anyone know the maximum weight of an accessory you can put on the hotshoe of dvx100a?

More specifically, I'm interested in putting a light on the shoe and didn't want to break it by putting on a heavy light.

Incidentally, anyone know the weight of a bescor 635 light? Their website nor B&H indicate how much it weights.

Thank you,
Vincent

Rob Lohman January 25th, 2004 10:07 AM

If it isn't listed in the manual I'd contact Panasonic, just to be safe!