Emergency Question: Audio Input at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Panasonic P2HD / AVCCAM / AVCHD / DV Camera Systems > Panasonic DVX / DVC Assistant
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Panasonic DVX / DVC Assistant
The 4K DVX200 plus previous Panasonic Pro Line cams: DVX100A, DVC60, DVC30.

Old June 13th, 2003, 08:15 AM   #1
New Boot

Emergency Question: Audio Input

This may seem stupid; but i am trying to input audio through the RCA connector Channel 2 on the camera not the XLR Channel 2. What is stupid is I can not find the way turn on the RCA input. I plugged in live audio into channel 2 RCA and I can not get it to show up in the level meter on sound input. I looked at the manual but I can not find out how to turn it on. I need to input audio from a infrared receiver (from what would be a ear phone jack out) output jack. I have the conversion connectors to go to XLR channel 2 but from test run with the gain set to just above off on both channels works. But any higher than that causes a loud hiss. The earphone from receiver is crystal clear so I figured that the impedance adapters/connectors to XLR could be causing the hiss. So I want to try the RCA input since the ear phone jack out is mono anyways.

Please throw me a quick bone here.

Kevin
Kevin Merker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 14th, 2003, 05:32 PM   #2
Regular Crew

Maybe the RCA jacks are just for audio input when you are using the camera as a VCR.
When you were sending the signal to XLR input, did you have it switced to the "line" setting as opposed to "mic"?

Patrick
Patrick Bower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 14th, 2003, 07:51 PM   #3
New Boot

Line-Input is One answer.

Thanks Pat.
Line-input made so that I could turn the gain and the volume of the infrared receiver all the way up with 0 hiss vusing the XLR channel 2 input split across both channels.

Still wonder if you can input audio for DV recording from RCA input - -other than XLR. An if so, HOW!
I CAN'T FIND OUT HOW TO TURN ON THE (RCA) INPT.
Thanks Kevin
Kevin Merker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 14th, 2003, 09:44 PM   #4
Major Player

In the manual it says the RCA jacks are just for audio input when you are using the camera as a VCR.
Ron Little is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 19th, 2003, 07:25 PM   #5
Regular Crew

Try using RCA-XLR adapters to utilize inputs 1 and 2. Keep the cables shorter than 6' as these will be unbalanced signals. You might have to up the camera gain. I expect you will come in around -10dBv which is about -8dBu. My understanding is that 0dBu hits -12dBFS on the meters. Your signals will come in around -20dBFS?
Old June 19th, 2003, 07:33 PM   #6
Regular Crew

The manual mentions that you must have a composite or S-Video signal present to activate the RCA audio inputs and that these audio inputs are only for dubbing. The presence of that video signal probably flips an internal switch over to those inputs.

I have the Azden WMS-Pro wireless mic setup (it's funny, they call it "Pro" but there are no pro connectors on it :)). So there's no place to plug it into the DVX. I guess the redeeming feature is that the DVX can switch the input levels on the XLRs between mic and line. So I just had to hack up an XLR to sub-mini adapter cable. Seems to work fine (XLR pin 2 to tip, pins 1 and 3 to sleeve) although the level is a tad low.
Mark Randall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 20th, 2003, 08:38 AM   #7
Major Player

Mark

Thanks for the tip on the Azden Mic. I was about to buy one for my GL2.

How do you like the Azden?

Would you recommend it for weddings?

I am using a Sennheiser ew 500 on my DVX it comes with XLR connection but it isn’t cheep.
Ron Little is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 20th, 2003, 01:40 PM   #8
Regular Crew

Ron,

I'm not sure I'd choose this Azden for weddings unless you're down to your last dollar. It is their bottom of the line and it feels like it uses 900 Mhz cordless phone tech. It's fine for my current application which is shooting talent on a green screen from a camera ten feet away locked off on a tripod, not moving, no obstructions. Also, the mics that it comes with aren't exactly from the MTV Music Awards, if you know what I mean. That said, I actually think that it's priced fairly for what it is (two mics, trans. and recv. for $139 street).

Just goofing around with it while testing I've found that obstructions like walking through an open door can cause a cordless phone "wave of hum" to pass through. Also, changing orientation etc. can cause little bits of interference noise even five feet away.

I'd suggest going with a VHF setup if you can fit it in the budget (or UHF but that's $$$).

--- Mark
Old June 20th, 2003, 01:44 PM   #9
Regular Crew

Note: I was able to resolve the slightly low input gain issue I mentioned above by changing the DVX's mic input setting to -60 from -50. This boosts gain...

--- Mark
Old June 21st, 2003, 07:48 AM   #10
Major Player

Glenn nice cover what do your DVDs look like.

Thanks for the info I think I am going to stick with the Sennheiser evolution.500 at B&H it is about a grand.

Although I may check into the 100 series. I have noticed at many of the weddings I have shot the minister or preist were all using the Sennheiser 100 series.

Now that I think about it my sound has been better than theirs.

I have talked myself into it I will be getting another 500. (I think)
Ron Little is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Panasonic P2HD / AVCCAM / AVCHD / DV Camera Systems > Panasonic DVX / DVC Assistant