What are "video drop outs" at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Panasonic P2HD / AVCCAM / AVCHD / DV Camera Systems > Panasonic DVX / DVC Assistant

Panasonic DVX / DVC Assistant
The 4K DVX200 plus previous Panasonic Pro Line cams: DVX100A, DVC60, DVC30.

Old June 18th, 2003, 04:55 PM   #1
Wrangler

What are "video drop outs"

Are video drop outs the quick flicker of digital artifacts on the screen. I'm into editing my 2nd wedding I shot with my DVX100 and I've noticed a few of these in the footage. Not an inordinant amount but mabye once every other tape or so. I've also heard a couple of audio drop outs too. Is this normal when the camera is new. I really haven't shot much footage other than the 2 weddings so far with it...and no I haven't changed tape brands. I buy Sony DV tapes. I know they aren't supposed to be as good as the Panasonic MQ tapes however if you have to stick to a one brand I figured I'd go with something I had readily available at any Best Buy or Wal-Mart, rather than having to special order them.

Do you guys think these video drop out (if thats what they are) that I see from time to time are from using a consumer grade DV tape? Or is it because the camera is new- I remember someone on here saying it's new normal for the first tape or so- although I've been thru like 5 tapes now (though the last time I saw a video drop out was on the 3rd tape I shot).

Will changing to Panasonic MQ tapes eliminate audio/video drop-outs? Or...are audio/video drop-outs a normal part of DV...from time to time.
Glen Elliott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 18th, 2003, 10:29 PM   #2
Retired DV Info Net Almunus

What you describe does suggest a recording error perhaps caused by a tape anomaly or residue on you heads.

It is not uncommon for new cameras to hiccup a bit. Run a cleaning tape to remove any manufacturing residue that may be lurking in the transport. Sony makes good tape, but whether using Sony or Panasonic, buy the best grade...typically not what you'll find at consumer retail stores.

Hey, you don't have enough stuff!
Buy with confidence from our sponsors. Hand-picked as the best in the business...Really!

See some of my work one frame at a time: www.KenTanaka.com
Ken Tanaka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 18th, 2003, 10:59 PM   #3

I thought it was a video student that quits school...
Old June 18th, 2003, 11:53 PM   #4
Inner Circle

LOL@John.. good cal mate...

actualyl i find the new panaosnic cams to NEED lubricating prior to "official use..
By lubicating i mean run a a couple of hours of recording before u go out in teh field...

the MX500 also has this problem when new...

i guess one way to cut costs is to save on head lube and let the tape lube it up abit...

my DVX and MX both suffered from this...

Ken hit the nail in the head when he sayd run a head cleaner as you dont know how long the item has been sitting in storage for before you put a tape in...

I almost lost a whole shoot becuase of this drop out :( i didnt know then what i know now...
Peter Jefferson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 18th, 2003, 11:56 PM   #5
Obstreperous Rex

Quote:

<< i find the new panaosnic cams to NEED lubricating prior to "official use... >>

The Canons do as well, not related to this forum, but just to demonstrate that the Panny's are not alone in this neccessity.

Search DV Info Net | 20 years of DVi | ...Tuesday is Soylent Green Day!
Chris Hurd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 19th, 2003, 12:49 AM   #6
Inner Circle

cool.. glad i wasnt the only one feeling it.. LOL
Old June 19th, 2003, 09:16 AM   #7
Wrangler

So what do you guys suggest I do at this point. I didn't run the tape cleaner prior to recording the first footage w/ this camera and have subsequently shot roughly 5 hours or so on this camera already.

Also, regarding the tapes I buy. I think they are sony "Premium", they have blue packaging and the tape it'self is black and red. Ya know, the ones you find at your local Best Buy/Walmart. Are these sub-par for my camera...anyone else on here use these tapes- any problems? I'm curious if it's worth upgrading to the Panasonic MQ tapes....but I'd only be interested if they offered any noticable benefit (ie NO dropouts whatsoever...beings they are so few and far between now)

Another thing about the dropouts thats odd is I noticed a glitch in a clip I was capturing so I rewound and re-captured the clip and it was fine. Go figure?! Have you guys found that dropouts can be irregular?
Glen Elliott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 19th, 2003, 09:55 AM   #8
Inner Circle

VERY irregular..
so your saying after at least 5 hours worth its still dropping out?? Id take it back for a proper check.. head calibration could be dead...
Old June 19th, 2003, 10:01 AM   #9

In the basic definition of a tape "drop-out", no. It would appear in the same location consistently, since it would be due to a flaw in the tape.

Run a cleaning tape, try again. Still problems? Send back.

Hey, you don't have enough stuff!
Buy with confidence from our sponsors. Hand-picked as the best in the business...Really!

See some of my work one frame at a time: www.KenTanaka.com
Ken Tanaka is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Panasonic P2HD / AVCCAM / AVCHD / DV Camera Systems > Panasonic DVX / DVC Assistant