Where to buy an anamorphic adapter/converter? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Panasonic P2HD / AVCCAM / AVCHD / DV Camera Systems > Panasonic DVX / DVC Assistant

Panasonic DVX / DVC Assistant
The 4K DVX200 plus previous Panasonic Pro Line cams: DVX100A, DVC60, DVC30.

Old June 21st, 2003, 12:25 AM   #1
Major Player

Where to buy an anamorphic adapter/converter?

Looking for an anamorphic adaper/converter for the DVX100. B&H and other places I've looked don't seem to have them.

Thanks
Jeff Kilgroe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 21st, 2003, 05:06 AM   #2
Regular Crew

I just got mine from Biz-Max. Used them yesterday for the first time and have some questions/problems. See my post on this.
Mike Morrell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 29th, 2003, 03:04 PM   #3
Major Player

anamorphic adaptor lense.....

by Panasonic is two layered and not very good according to a number of people who have used it. I'd wait until some of the other optic companies get theirs on the market.
A three layered anamorpic might do the trick. I understand, one's under construction at the moment - can't recall the maker but the price might be a bit hight -$2,000 or so.
I'm more interested in test shots with the mini35 and the DVX. Now, that might be something!
Dean Harrington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 29th, 2003, 10:03 PM   #4
Major Player

Yeah, I've dug up a few sites and some other references showing the Panasonic anamorphic adapter. It seems most people are getting equal or better results by simply cropping the 4:3 image (or shooting in LB mode) and then stretching the resulting image to be anamorphic.

The Panasonic adapter consistantly shows severe barreling effects when zoomed out wide and seems to lose its anamorphic effect at full zoom. There's a "sweet spot" in the middle where the anamorphic adapter looks pretty good, but it's far too limiting to be of overall use - especially since the going price seems to be about $800.

And that doesn't take into account that video shot through the anamorphic adapter looses some sharpness and color fidelity.

I was playing with the VX100 as a demo when I originally started this thread and have since bought the camera. I bought it to compliment my XL1s with the ability to shoot in progressive modes. This camera continuously surprises me with what it can do and the quality of the image I get out of it. I'm even getting some very impressive results scaling 24p and 30p video from this camera to 1280x720 HD res. Yes, it does soften the image a bit, but it looks very nice and far fewer compression artifacts along with better overall color than what comes out of JVC's new HD camcorder. Which was the other camera I was considering purchasing these past few weeks.

But if Century Optics or other company comes out with an anamorphic solution, I'll definitely take a look. However, it better have complete zoom through ability and retain all color clarity without any noticeable barreling for me to truly consider it. I did buy the Century Optics .7x wide adapter and it's a pretty nice lense adapter. Some warping when zoomed wide, but not bad - even unnoticeable as long as I keep a 10% or more zoom on. Very handy for shooting indoors or trying to get a little extra in an outdoor shot of buildings in close range and other cramped shooting conditions.
Jeff Kilgroe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 29th, 2003, 10:06 PM   #5
Space Hipster

Jeff:

Yeah, I've also decided not to buy the anamorphic.

I'm thinking about the CO telephoto adapter - have you tried it yet?
Old June 30th, 2003, 02:29 AM   #6
Major Player

CO telephoto adapter...

who makes that?.....got it century optics. LOL
Dean Harrington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 30th, 2003, 06:49 AM   #7
Major Player

<<<-- Originally posted by Stephen van Vuuren : Jeff:

Yeah, I've also decided not to buy the anamorphic.

I'm thinking about the CO telephoto adapter - have you tried it yet? -->>>

No, haven't tried it. I am interested though and would like to get my hands on one to try. Can't seem to find too many local dealers that carry CO (or any other brand of stuff) that will fit the VX100.
Jeff Kilgroe is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Panasonic P2HD / AVCCAM / AVCHD / DV Camera Systems > Panasonic DVX / DVC Assistant