DVX100 and iPod at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Panasonic P2HD / AVCCAM / AVCHD / DV Camera Systems > Panasonic DVX / DVC Assistant
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Panasonic DVX / DVC Assistant
The 4K DVX200 plus previous Panasonic Pro Line cams: DVX100A, DVC60, DVC30.

Old June 25th, 2003, 08:12 AM   #1
Regular Crew

DVX100 and iPod

Has anyone had any success with connecting their DVX100 to an Apple iPod for capturing the video via Firewire? I'm interested to hear how this is done, along with any success/horror stories.

Thanks,
Russell
Russell Pond is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 25th, 2003, 09:40 AM   #2
Major Player

HAHA what the he** are you talking about?
Yang Wen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 25th, 2003, 10:08 AM   #3
Regular Crew

I have heard that you can use your iPod to capture the video through the Firewire connection directly to the iPod harddrive rather than going to tape. Here's Apple's comment:

Convenient Data Storage: iPod can double as a FireWire or USB 2.0* hard drive for your computer. This allows you to transfer files and applications from your computer to the iPod and take them with you wherever you go. iPod is smart enough to keep your data files separate from your music collection so that they will not be accidentally erased when you are updating your music.

http://www.apple.com/ipod/beyondmusic.html

I read a couple of articles about how people were using iPod to capture the video directly from the camera, and I was wanting to find out if anyone has done this.

Russell
Russell Pond is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 25th, 2003, 10:23 AM   #4
Major Player

I doubt it. Well, at least not without some hacking. Ipod would need to be loaded with software to save the incoming DV stream into formats recongnizable by your NLE. That'd be great though, if someone/company came out with such program for the IPOD. I'll ask my friend who interned at apple and has worked on the IPOD to see if such thing is possible.
Yang Wen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 25th, 2003, 11:13 AM   #5
New Boot

I heard that people are trying to figure it out, but haven't yet come up with a solution. It would be pretty cool to have a small, affordable hard drive solution to record to on the road.
Billy McPherson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 25th, 2003, 11:19 AM   #6
Regular Crew

I think if iPod uses the full IEEE 1394 protocols (not a subset) it shouldn't be a problem. I've heard the iPod really doesn't like most IEEE 1394 ports in any of the PC's, which to me indicates cross compatibility problems... ie. not fully IEEE 1394 certified.

It would be very NEAT and a very CHEAP way to do firewire capture if it could work however.

-Rodger
Old June 25th, 2003, 01:37 PM   #7
Wrangler

Do you think those little hard drives in the iPod are fast enough for DV?

On a similar note, I asked this before and never got a response. Is anybody using one of the small battery powered firewire drives to edit video with FCP on a PowerBook? I have several regular sized 7200 RPM drives that work fine for this, but would really like a little portable unit to use on the road. From what I've seen, all the "pocket drives" use relatively slow mechanisms however....
Boyd Ostroff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 25th, 2003, 03:03 PM   #8
Major Player

the DV stream is only 3.5MB/sec Not very taxing requirements for today's HD. I'm pretty sure IPOD's HD can keep up with this.
Yang Wen is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Panasonic P2HD / AVCCAM / AVCHD / DV Camera Systems > Panasonic DVX / DVC Assistant