Is this wrong? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Panasonic P2HD / AVCCAM / AVCHD / DV Camera Systems > Panasonic DVX / DVC Assistant

Panasonic DVX / DVC Assistant
The 4K DVX200 plus previous Panasonic Pro Line cams: DVX100A, DVC60, DVC30.

Old May 6th, 2008, 11:16 AM   #1
Major Player

Is this wrong?

I ran into a little problem with my trusty PD170 that will likely cost more to fix than I care to invest in a non-24p SD camera. I'm not ready (mentally) to invest in HD of any kind, so I'm strongly considering trading in my 170 (I could get about half of what I paid for it) and getting a DVX. While the 170 served me well (and has paid for itself), I have to admit that I regretted choosing it over the DVX within a few months of buying.

So, is it too late for the DVX? Or, is there enough work for it out there to justify the 2 grand (not including trade-in value) I'd put into it and some accessories? I have a feeling that it's not too late, but I don't trust myself - I'm worried it's my subconscious seizing an opportunity to right the wrong of choosing against the DVX some years ago.

Thanks for your help.

~~Dave
Dave Dodds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 6th, 2008, 11:26 AM   #2
Major Player

Whether it's "too late" for an SD camera or not is largely up to you, the kind of work you do, and what your clients (if any) require. Generally speaking, however, there are still far more SD televisions out there than HD sets and Blu-ray has a long way to go before it becomes the de facto distribution standard... so no, I don't think it's necessarily too late to buy an SD camera, but it does depend on your own particular uses and needs.

You're sure to receive a lot of disagreement from others ("SD is crazy in 2008!"), so I thought I'd chime in and play the other card.

I will say, though, that because television broadcasters are switching to digital broadcasts in 2009 and older TV's will no longer be able to receive a signal via antenna, there is soon going to be a huge spike in television sales, and most of those will likely be HD--or at least 16:9--sets. If you do go with the DVX, it'd probably be very wise to pick up Panny's anamorphic adapter so that you can take advantage of the extra screen "real estate" on all those new TV's without losing resolution.
Old May 7th, 2008, 11:56 AM   #3
Major Player

HDTVs make SD look beautiful, too.

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Panasonic P2HD / AVCCAM / AVCHD / DV Camera Systems > Panasonic DVX / DVC Assistant