TV Commercial Shot with DVX100 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Panasonic P2HD / AVCCAM / AVCHD / DV Camera Systems > Panasonic DVX / DVC Assistant

Panasonic DVX / DVC Assistant
The 4K DVX200 plus previous Panasonic Pro Line cams: DVX100A, DVC60, DVC30.

Old August 1st, 2003, 06:07 PM   #1
Major Player

TV Commercial Shot with DVX100

Hey guys--Here's a TV spot I just shot with my DVX100. It hasn't been color corrected yet but you will get an idea of what the footage looks like. I'd love to get everyone's feedback on the spot. It's for a device that allows you to change your view in first-person gamers simply by turning your head in the direction you want the view to change. Anyway, check out the website, it explains it better. Here's the link:

http://www.trackir.com

Click on "in use" and it's the first video on the top. You need Windows Media Player 9 or Quicktime to view it. I look forward to comments and questions,

Peter
Peter Richardson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 1st, 2003, 06:55 PM   #2
Inner Circle

Cool product. I'm new to video, but this commercial makes me feel a little dizzy because there are too many scene changes and the swoops are too fast. There is too much motion. Something is moving in every scene. Even the closing titles are zooming. The imaging looks great to me, and I dig women in white tops. I can't hear what the woman says at the end of the shoot. If it's what I think it is, I would prefer a younger woman, or perhaps two. Chuckle. Most gamers are younger. Overall, it's a pretty cool commercial.
Gints Klimanis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 1st, 2003, 08:25 PM   #3
Major Player

Hey Peter,

Good job! I'm a sucker for anything that has to do with airplanes, so I loved it. I especially liked the hangar shot at the beginning. Did you use natural light or artificial? Looks like natural.

I, too, thought the lady was a little old...but hey, who wouldn't..um...ahem. Anyways, good job!
Nick Medrano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 1st, 2003, 08:31 PM   #4
High School Student

Wow...that looked great, very very nice shooting and editing. Cool product also, I don't know what else to say. :D
Alex Knappenberger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 2nd, 2003, 12:53 AM   #5
Regular Crew

Very good work !!!! Bravo !!!!

Now, everybody wants to know what you use to shoot this clip: Dolly, Crane, Stabilizer?
Marc Martin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 2nd, 2003, 10:02 AM   #6
Trustee

Great work! As an occasional watcher of G4, the gaming network on my digital cable, I think it'll fit right in. The fast swoops and continuous motion are definitely a must to keep pace with the energy needed for gaming oriented programming.
Imran Zaidi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 2nd, 2003, 05:01 PM   #7
Major Player

Nice commercial.....

well shot and edited. Really shows off the DVX and your skill.
Dean Harrington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 2nd, 2003, 07:58 PM   #8
DVX User

very nice camera work, and quite the little product!
Jarred Land is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 3rd, 2003, 02:50 AM   #9
Regular Crew

I thought it was pretty good. The motion makes sense for the product obviously.
Jake McMurray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 3rd, 2003, 01:27 PM   #10
Major Player

Thanks for the feedback guys. For stabilization we used a portajib. Kind of overkill for the little DVX100, but I had access to one so we used that. The lighting is natural until she sits down, then we started lighting stuff (it got dark). Her voice is a little soft at the end, especially when she says "at". Originally we wanted to use the Basement Jaxx song, "Where's Your Head At?" and there is a cut with this song that is pretty kick ass, but they wanted about $20,000 for the song, which was way over the budget of the commercial (about $2,000). The cool thing is the lyrics of the song, the "Where's your head at?" refrain, matched up to her saying that, so we just had her lip sync with the music which worked surpisingly well. But, alas, record companies are greedy.

The commercial originally aired on teh Discovery Wings Channel for a show about flight sims, so that is the target audience. The response has been really good from the ad, so I'm hoping the company will decide to buy more ad time on different stations. We'll see.

Peter
Old August 4th, 2003, 09:53 AM   #11
Regular Crew

Really well done, Peter. The lighting is great. Good color. Good composition of the shots. The hanger shadows were excellent. It was either early morning or late in the evening. Good stuff.

Did you shoot in 24p? If I had to guess, it looks like it's 60i.

And most amazing is the budget of $2,000. DV surely has forced some healthy competition upon the industry.

What did you cut this on?

Russell
Russell Pond is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 4th, 2003, 10:37 AM   #12
Regular Crew

Nice job Peter ..... amazing what one can do with some color correction and editing. Lighting looked great and I loved the opening shot .... that is what it's all about - grabbing your attention in the beginning.

Kudos for a job well done!
Rick Tugman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 5th, 2003, 12:28 PM   #13
Inner Circle

Love it, and i also put a link to the actual product and clip on my Tech forum... this is the kinda stuff we look at...

as for the production, well all i can say is thumbs up and good luck with your future endeavours as i can see that there WILL be!!

cheers
P
Peter Jefferson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 6th, 2003, 08:31 PM   #14
Major Player

The shoot did start in the evening Russell, and we shot 24P Standard. I cut it on DV Xpress 3.0 and used After Effects 5.5 for the little end graphic.

Thanks for adding the link Peter, my client will be happy to hear of the extra exposure.
Old August 7th, 2003, 02:45 AM   #15
Regular Crew

Well done Peter. You have done a great job with the commercial.
Ivan Hedley Enger is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Panasonic P2HD / AVCCAM / AVCHD / DV Camera Systems > Panasonic DVX / DVC Assistant