UPDATED! Adam Wilt's Reviews of DVX100 & DVX100A at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Panasonic P2HD / AVCCAM / AVCHD / DV Camera Systems > Panasonic DVX / DVC Assistant
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Panasonic DVX / DVC Assistant
The 4K DVX200 plus previous Panasonic Pro Line cams: DVX100A, DVC60, DVC30.

Old August 10th, 2003, 09:56 AM   #1
Space Hipster

Adam Wilt's Reviews of DVX100 & DVX100A

DV Magazine

DVX100
http://www.dv.com/features/features_.../2003/wilt0203

DVX100A
The pre-press version of Adam's DVX100A article is flawed by various typographical errors (not of his doing -- blame his editors); however it is available at dv.com.

Frame Grabs from DVX100A at:

http://www.adamwilt.com/24p/

Old August 10th, 2003, 01:33 PM   #2
Outer Circle

4.5 stars from dv.com. That's pretty high. The JVC Streamcorder only got 3.5, and the PDX10, 4, from what I recall. Lot a beef in that DVX. :)
Frank Granovski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 11th, 2003, 01:02 PM   #3
New Boot

Wow! I'm really starting to question my plans on gettin the xl1s.

Has anyone had the chance to compare any wide angle add ons for the DVX to the 3x of the xl1s.

A wide angle shot and cinema look are on the top of my list.

Any insight would be great.
Humby Valdes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 11th, 2003, 01:23 PM   #4
Major Player

<<<-- Originally posted by Humby Valdes : Wow! I'm really starting to question my plans on gettin the xl1s.

Has anyone had the chance to compare any wide angle add ons for the DVX to the 3x of the xl1s.

Any insight would be great. -->>>

I am not an expert. I have researched and scrutinized every angle on getting the XL!s to the DVX100. I have decided I will be purchasing the DVX100.

Go to www.ladyxfilms.com

There you will see a bunch of 'episodes'. In the production details of each one you will see 'what camera' was used. I looked at the DVX100 to the XL1's and I have to say, the DVX100 footage was above and beyond in terms of filmlook goes.

Also, check out www.highart.com (i think thats it) that feature was shot with the DVX100 and it looks very impressive.

Also check out www.zerobudgetfilms.com

The footage shot is excellent.

28 days later was shot with the Canon, but attached to it they had the killer prime lenses, etc. I wish they had the DVX100 that looked like the canon, but, look only matters in the finished product i guess.

Anyway, that's my insight.
John Hudson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 11th, 2003, 03:01 PM   #5
Space Hipster

I just got the Century .6 wide (the .7 is probably more like the Canon 3X) but as the DVX100 is wide to begin with, with the century adaptor you get a nice wide angle.
Old September 11th, 2003, 03:05 PM   #6
Major Player

Image available?

I wil ldef be looking to get a wide screen adtp
John Hudson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 11th, 2003, 04:09 PM   #7
Barry Wan Kenobi

<<<-- Originally posted by Humby Valdes :

-->>>

The Canon 3X is 3.4mm at its widest. The DVX is 4.5mm at its widest. You can get add-on wide-angle lenses that will make the DVX much wider. I use the Century .6x, which means the wide-angle is 2.7mm, much much wider than the Canon 3X.

You can see sample pictures of the Century .6X, .7X, and Fisheye adapters at www.icexpo.com/dvx100/century.html. You can see the Panasonic .8x at www.icexpo.com/dvx100/index.html

<<<--
-->>>

Sounds like you're exactly the customer Panasonic had in mind. The DVX has an incredible cinema look and the widest stock lens of any DV-format camera.
Barry Green is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 11th, 2003, 07:40 PM   #8
Trustee

Out of interest, I was looking at the DVX specs and couldn't see anywhere where it had a manual focus ring, or more specifically a focus ring that you could mark for focus points and rack (repeatedly from take to take) accurately. Does it have this? I have an Xm2 and I noticed when our camera op tried to do this, it was a disaster.

This alone has made me think about getting an Xl1s with manual lens.

Cheers
Aaron
Old September 13th, 2003, 04:23 AM   #9
Regular Crew

Does anyone know how fast Adam Wilt's Mac is. In my current project we may be required to print 24pa footage back to tape.
Jake McMurray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 20th, 2003, 01:47 AM   #10
Retired DV Info Net Almunus

Aaron,
No, unfortunately the DVX100's focus ring does not feature any calibrated markings. It operates the same as the XM2/GL2. The XL1s' 16x Manual Servo or the 14x Full Manual are the only lenses with such a feature in this range of cameras.

Hey, you don't have enough stuff!
Buy with confidence from our sponsors. Hand-picked as the best in the business...Really!

See some of my work one frame at a time: www.KenTanaka.com
Ken Tanaka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 20th, 2003, 01:51 AM   #11
Outer Circle

Jake, you can always e-mail Adam Wilt and ask him. He does reply to his e-mails.
Frank Granovski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 20th, 2003, 06:53 AM   #12
Trustee

Ken, that's really interesting. Obviously it's not a major issues cause lots of people will be using DVX100's for movies, but filming my LadyX episode with my Xm2, we just couldn't get any good focus pulls happening in one scene where we wanted them. After that I was like, next camera I get is going to be able to do that. As it's a technique that I like in movies and would like to use on occasion.

Aaron
Old September 20th, 2003, 08:54 AM   #13
Space Hipster

Century Optics makes a focus ring for the DVX100.
Old September 20th, 2003, 10:36 AM   #14
Retired DV Info Net Almunus

Aha, well there you go! Indeed they do.

Thank you, Stephen!

Hey, you don't have enough stuff!
Buy with confidence from our sponsors. Hand-picked as the best in the business...Really!

See some of my work one frame at a time: www.KenTanaka.com
Ken Tanaka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 20th, 2003, 12:06 PM   #15
Barry Wan Kenobi

A clarification on the DVX's focus ring: it is NOT a "servo" ring, like the VX2000/PD150's. A servo ring is (per my understanding) basically a motor switch: turn it one way and it engages the autofocus motor to move the lens elements, turn it the other way and it triggers the motors to move the other way.

Near as I can tell the DVX's focus ring is a true mechanical manual focus ring, with the difference being that it doesn't stop at infinity or at minimum. But you can do precise focus moves with it, and the focus marks are repeatable. Century's ring, near as I can tell, just adds hard stops at each end, and industry-standard-pitch gear teeth to make it compatible with follow focus and jib arm focus motors. If you added Century's ring, you should theoretically be able to add your own distance marks on it and have a full, pure, true manual focus ring.
Barry Green is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Panasonic P2HD / AVCCAM / AVCHD / DV Camera Systems > Panasonic DVX / DVC Assistant