progressive modes at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Panasonic P2HD / AVCCAM / AVCHD / DV Camera Systems > Panasonic DVX / DVC Assistant
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Panasonic DVX / DVC Assistant
The 4K DVX200 plus previous Panasonic Pro Line cams: DVX100A, DVC60, DVC30.

Old November 3rd, 2003, 04:52 AM   #1
Regular Crew

progressive modes

I've read in this site that to get the most from the camera or any camera you need to light it well.
If you are not in a position to light like at weddings or events venues is there much point in getting the dvx100? Would the cinegamma settings/ progressive scan be really a waste if you cant control your lighting?
Some people who have both gl2 and dvc80 say there isnt really that much of a difference in the quality of the picture.
I would be interested in the opinion people who use the dvx100it for wedding and events.
Tung Bui is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 6th, 2003, 02:07 AM   #2
Regular Crew

The word "PHOTOGRAPHY" translates to "painting with light".
As the veteran record producer Cosmo Metassa told me (in a discussion about recording gear and technology) "if you don't have majic in front of the microphone... it doesn't really matter what you have behind it." Those words of wisdom translate elegantly into the craft and art of making pictures.
Old November 6th, 2003, 02:15 AM   #3
Retired DV Info Net Almunus

Tung,
My personal opinion is yes, the DVX100 is not necessarily an appropriate choice for shooting such uncontrolled events. It's really designed to shine best in more controlled "filmmaking" settings. Shooting a dimly lit wedding ceremony in 24p will not produce a cinematic result.

Of course you can always use the 60i or 30p modes but then, to a great degree, you're in the same realm as a Sony and Canon. The DVX100 may also represent a slight disadvantage in that its zoom range is much shorter than these competitors, a fact that -may- hobble you when you're stuck 50 feet away from the vows.

Hey, you don't have enough stuff!
Buy with confidence from our sponsors. Hand-picked as the best in the business...Really!

See some of my work one frame at a time: www.KenTanaka.com
Ken Tanaka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 6th, 2003, 09:05 AM   #4
Major Player

Assuming the majority of your weddings are not held in caves. The DVX is fine, even in the progressive modes w/o gain. I have a camera light and I use that whenever appropriate.
Yang Wen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 6th, 2003, 12:56 PM   #5
Regular Crew

Yang Wen,

Which camera light do you use?

Greg Matty
Greg Matty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 7th, 2003, 08:10 AM   #6
Major Player

The DVX does 60i, as well as progressive, so I don't see why it is any different than other interlace cameras when it comes to recording weddings. No offense to anyone, but a lot of people are creating a myth that the DVX is only good for 24p, and that just aint so.
Glenn Gipson is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Panasonic P2HD / AVCCAM / AVCHD / DV Camera Systems > Panasonic DVX / DVC Assistant