The DVC80 vs. the infamous GL2 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Panasonic P2HD / AVCCAM / AVCHD / DV Camera Systems > Panasonic DVX / DVC Assistant
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Panasonic DVX / DVC Assistant
The 4K DVX200 plus previous Panasonic Pro Line cams: DVX100A, DVC60, DVC30.

Old November 3rd, 2003, 05:03 PM   #1
Tourist

The DVC80 vs. the infamous GL2

Hey guys, I'm about to move up from my Pv-dv953 around Christmas time. I like the price of the GL2, but I feel as if I need better manual controls. Is there any major advantages that one camera has over another? Well, just post what you would like to say about these cameras in comparison to eachother.
Old November 3rd, 2003, 05:59 PM   #2
Major Player

Ok see these threads among others...

http://www.dvinfo.net/conf/showthread.php?s=&threadid=15306&highlight=dvc80+gl2

http://www.dvinfo.net/conf/showthread.php?s=&threadid=15718&highlight=dvc80+gl2

http://www.dvinfo.net/conf/showthread.php?s=&threadid=15710
Rob Easler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 3rd, 2003, 06:32 PM   #3
Trustee

I've owned both and both have excellent manual controls. Both cameras produce sharp images with the better zoom going to the GL2 and better wide angle to the DVC80. Both are similarly priced and produce fantastic images. The DVC80 is also less grainy at low light levels......You can't lose with either one.

(The GL2 can shoot 30p which the DVC80 can't- so if shooting progressive is important the GL2 is the only choice)

(The Leica DVC80 lens resolves superb detail at wa macro settings- just my personal observation)
Both cameras are winners.
Old November 7th, 2003, 01:03 PM   #4
Regular Crew

GL2 vs DVC80

Steve,

Can you please tell us if there is any difference between the GL2 in Movie Mode and the Panasonic DVC80?? Does Canon's Movie Mode make video resemble film? I would really like to hear from a person who owns both of these camcorders.
Jason Chang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 7th, 2003, 05:25 PM   #5
Trustee

Jason,

The Panasonic DVC80 has no progressive modes so you really can't compare it to the GL2 in movie mode- which is a progressive mode. The Pan is a 60i cam only- you could always deinterlace in post and get a "movie mode" effect- but that's about as close to movie mode you're gonna get. Even without movie mode I find the DVC80 to be superb.
Old November 7th, 2003, 08:56 PM   #6
Regular Crew

GL2 VS DVC80

Steve,

Is there a difference in color reproduction? I've owned a VX-2000 and did not like the cold Sony look. I've also owned a Canon XL1 and I found the XL1 to have warmer tones. Would you mind sending me a couple of still shots to illustrate the difference between these two cams?

By the way, does the de-interlaced look achieved in post look identical to Canon's fake 30P? I thank you for taking the time to help me resolve this internal conflict.

Jason
Old November 7th, 2003, 10:18 PM   #7
Trustee

Jason,

I think many Panasonic users will testify to the neutral color handling of the Pan DVC/DVX series of cameras- they're pretty close to actual colors- with proper WB you probably wont need to adjust colors much. I don;t have allot of time using the DVC so there are others better qualified to give their personal takes on the color "warmth-coolness" issue.

The deinterlaced look is really close to what progressive gives you- there are even alternative "deinterlacers" which when altered parameters are set- you can achieve a slew of "effects" as per "movie or film-look"....Joe's Deinterlacer is one and there are others......have fun.

(hope this helps a little)
Old November 8th, 2003, 08:27 AM   #8
Regular Crew

Steve,

Thank you for taking the time to anwer my questions.
Old November 8th, 2003, 08:12 PM   #9
Trustee

No problem Jason......that's what this forum is for.....spreading the knowledge!

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Panasonic P2HD / AVCCAM / AVCHD / DV Camera Systems > Panasonic DVX / DVC Assistant