DVX100 White Balance Question at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Panasonic P2HD / AVCCAM / AVCHD / DV Camera Systems > Panasonic DVX / DVC Assistant
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Panasonic DVX / DVC Assistant
The 4K DVX200 plus previous Panasonic Pro Line cams: DVX100A, DVC60, DVC30.

Old November 24th, 2003, 08:57 AM   #1
Major Player

DVX100 White Balance Question

How you do guys set your white balance? I film skateboarding, so i have someone who is wearing a white shirt stand still when I set my white balance to their white shirt. But sometimes its looks kind of off. Do you guys hold the button down until the screen turns black switching over. or do you just press it for 1 or 2 times?? And doesnt this camera have black balance? if so who uses it. and when is it good to be used??
Mike Zorger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 24th, 2003, 10:22 AM   #2
Major Player

It looks like you've been using the black balance, Mike.

If you hold the white balance button down for an extended period of time, the cam will white balance and then black balance (that's when your screen is turning black). This is explained in the DVC80 manual, but I can't vouch for the DVX100 manual.

I've read differing opinions on black balance -- some say do it often, some say do it only when you the cam for the very first time, most seem to say do it occassionally and don't worry too much about it.

On the DVC80, you set the white balabce to channel A or B, then briefly press the while balance button while shooting at something white (or grey, if you're into that). The screen should read something like "Ach (or Bch) preset OK" (I must've white balanced 10 times yesterday and I can't even recall what it says...sheesh...)

Yesterday, I was white balancing to the back of the script. Anything white(ish) should work fine. How does it look off and what are you viewing when it looks off? The LCD screen or a regular ol' home television?
John Britt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 24th, 2003, 02:26 PM   #3
Major Player

lcd, but sometimes it looks blue. SO when i HOLD the button for a few seconds thats the black balance, and when i just press it once thats the white balance.????
Mike Zorger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 24th, 2003, 02:44 PM   #4
Major Player

Well, you press it only once, but you do hold onto it -- just not as long as you do for black balance.

The way the DVX100 manual describes it -- available online at ftp://ftp.panasonic.com/pub/Panasonic/Drivers/PBTS/manuals/OM_AG-DVX100.pdf -- on page 30 is:

"The WHITE BAL switch can be set to the A or B position and white balance values here can be stored in the memory. Set the switch to the position (A or B) where the white balance adjustment value is to be stored, and press the AWB button.

It takes a few seconds to complete the adjustment. (The following messages appear on the screen.)

*Message that appears while adjustment is underway:
AWB Ach ACTIVE

*Message that appears upon completion of the adjustment:
AWB Ach OK"

I think I encountered your problem, though, when I first used my DVC80. I white balanced through to the black balance and for some reason it cycled through to the the 3200K auto WB setting, which makes outside shots blue. Try white-balacing using the above directions (without black balacing) and see what happens.

Also -- have you tried just using the 5600K preset for all of your outdoor shots and 3200K for indoor?
John Britt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 26th, 2003, 07:37 AM   #5
Major Player

NO I have not. Thanks.
Mike Zorger is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Panasonic P2HD / AVCCAM / AVCHD / DV Camera Systems > Panasonic DVX / DVC Assistant