List of feature films shot in DVX100? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Panasonic P2HD / AVCCAM / AVCHD / DV Camera Systems > Panasonic DVX / DVC Assistant
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Panasonic DVX / DVC Assistant
The 4K DVX200 plus previous Panasonic Pro Line cams: DVX100A, DVC60, DVC30.

Old November 25th, 2003, 03:21 PM   #1
Regular Crew

List of feature films shot in DVX100?

I am interested to know the list of feature films shot with DVX100? Does anyone know? Please give me the links or tailers?

Thanks!
Old November 26th, 2003, 11:19 AM   #2
Major Player

http://www.stealart.com/

Not my project, but some of the best work I've seen using the DVX.
John Hudson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 26th, 2003, 12:00 PM   #3
Regular Crew

Thanks john. It looks like a hollywood film! I've just watched the .wmv version and it looks so yellowee...maybe they purposely did that to protect their true release trailer?
Old November 28th, 2003, 02:13 PM   #4
DVX User

Hee hee Kai thats an interesting idea for protecting trailers....
but thats not what we did.

That yellow was on purpose. We used a combination of Yellow and Chocolate/Tobacco filters in an Arri 6x6 mattebox plus 2 ultra cons. Our DP had the idea of in camera instead of in post coloring, and it turned out great.

We just had the premier on Tuesday actually and we got alot of positive feedback, Thanks again to all you guys and gals that came to check it out.
Jarred Land is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 29th, 2003, 02:45 PM   #5
Regular Crew

Jarred - I must say, "Bravo!" to you and the rest of your creative team. It is quite encouraging to me to see the dvx utilized in such a powerful way. This really helps to solidify my visions and justify my investment in this piece of equipment.

I read on one of the press releases that the budget for your film was only 6K - is this accurate? Incredible. Now, I'm going to assume that all of the lighting, sound and camera equipment had already been purchased by your production house. If not, please tell us how you folks managed to accomplish this minor miracle of financing.

Once again - bravo. I'm looking forward to getting a copy of this film on DVD. (hint, hint) :D

K. Mikel Low
Mikel Low is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 29th, 2003, 04:47 PM   #6
DVX User

The 6K is not a feasible budget and most people could not have pulled it off.. we got a lot of stuff through connections and the talent worked for free.

For example, another project I was mildly involved in (cameraman)wrapped about a month ago is http://www.sleepoverthemovie.com ... It had 30x the art history budget and I have a feeling it wont be of the same caliber (even just judging by the website (yikes)

DVD will be out soon.. I gotta film the commentaries etc.. kind of decompressing right now.
Old November 29th, 2003, 11:41 PM   #7
Regular Crew

There's nothing like connected friends & generous benefactors in this particular industry. It is quite amazing how a shoot can be so simple & cheap in the planning phases and suddenly go through a complete metamorphosis the day of filming. I am already discovering in my limited experience(s) thus far in the Indie Universe that making movies is truly a labor of love & patience.

Please let me know when the DVD will be available and I'll make the purchase.

Oh, yeah - that website for the other film. You're right ... scare-reeeee. :D

Enjoy the decompression & stay in touch Jarred.

K. Mikel Low
Mikel Low is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 29th, 2003, 11:51 PM   #8
DVX User

Thanks.. will do.

Indie productions are usually a labour of love, and sometimes working on productions where everyone is getting next to nothing is better than the mid budget productions. At least you know everyone there love what they are doing.
Old November 30th, 2003, 12:34 AM   #9
Major Player

That website is kind of scary. And not in the bloody horror kind of way.
John Hudson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 30th, 2003, 12:47 AM   #10
DVX User

yes.. which goes to show. For that Sleepover movie I was whisked away and put up in a waterfront hotel room for 4 weeks that was bigger than my apartment... paid a half decent rate, and had a crew of about 80. And all i did on that production was operate and help with the transfers and nightly rushes.

dont get me wrong, I had a good time and the Director and producers where awesome, the entire Camera and Grip/Electric departments kicked ass but there were some film school students(no offense to any of you students) that had no idea what the hell was going on and sometimes really caused problems. it was hell for some people, the art director had to be removed from the set numerous times and the AD up and quit on the second last week.. The footage was taken to New York to cut by an academy award winning editor and the sound mix was done in LA... and they go and release a website like that...?????? to be honest I am embarrassed to send people to that site.

Art history, on the other hand was a labor of love, The crew was only 50, but everyone knew what they where doing and the only reward for their hard work was the catering.
Old November 30th, 2003, 09:40 AM   #11
Regular Crew

Hi Jarred,
It's nice to talk with the people involved :) My first question is, what's the advantages of doing the coloring in camera instead of in post? I guess the picture degrade is not the reason as software can do the job quite well I thought? To be frank, I do think it's a little 'too yellowee' when I watch the trailer; but after all, it's a great work I think! I can hardly imagine it's not coming from film! Hoping to see your DVD soon!

Hi Mikel,
I understand your feelings about NO-budget filmmaking (not even LOW-budget). I did some shorts using Sony PD150 and TRV900 before. It's really exhasted on production shooting as my crew are all inexperience. For passionate people, it's enjoyable, but for people lacking of that passion (like some valunteer actors), indie is certain not for them. Just like what Jarred said. And I won't ask them again in my continuing projects.

http://www.sleepoverthemovie.com is...well....ZZzzz...
Old November 30th, 2003, 09:46 AM   #12
DVX User

lol thanks :) The advantages are more of a DP's deal then a time/quality advantage... we actually had to add some yellow in post to some clean clips and they looked identical..

I have a feeling the Sleepover producers put all the money on screen and didnt have any money left for a webdesigner.
Old November 30th, 2003, 09:47 AM   #13
Regular Crew

Sound is my major headache! Do we have to dub all dialogs in studio again to make decent sound? That really a huge job (including to remake all environmental sound) unless we can afford to send it to pros to do the job....but we NO-budget indie film can't afford to do that. Any advice?

I saw people said that Canon's GL2's black-level-adjustment etc. are very far from the gamma adjustment in DVX100. I was wondering, what's the major difference in the picture we can see? Beside Panasonic, any other brand has this gamma adjustment feature? Why not? Progressive should be difficult to implement, but this gamma too?

Forgive my ignorance, I'm still having a long way of learning. I'm actually from IT background but beginning to love movie few years ago and can't stop it anymore :)
Old November 30th, 2003, 10:10 AM   #14
DVX User

you can pick up a piece of software called Magic Bullet with look suite that can take the GL2 interlaced footage and convert it to 24p with a gamma similar to the dvx100... but the software costs a grand... so it may be better to sell the GL2 on ebay, and try and find another DVX... there should be alot of them for sale now as people are dumping them to updgrade to the newer model.
Old November 30th, 2003, 10:31 AM   #15
Regular Crew

Thanks Jarred. I'll take a look into this Magic Bullet software. I have Adobe Premier and it has a video filter called "levels" under 'adjust'. Just wondering is it similar to gamma? Anyway, applying this effect can degrade picture!

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Panasonic P2HD / AVCCAM / AVCHD / DV Camera Systems > Panasonic DVX / DVC Assistant