shooting while walking backwards at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Panasonic P2HD / AVCCAM / AVCHD / DV Camera Systems > Panasonic DVX / DVC Assistant
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Panasonic DVX / DVC Assistant
The 4K DVX200 plus previous Panasonic Pro Line cams: DVX100A, DVC60, DVC30.

Old November 26th, 2003, 05:41 PM   #1
Major Player

shooting while walking backwards

I have a situation that requires me to shoot and walk backwards while keeping people in frame about 8 feet away. It was quite easy with my XL-1 as the stabilizer is pretty terrific, but now I need to accomplish this with the DVX-100. I use a monopod and a belt with pocket cup for all extended "semi-fixed" shots but it adds too much bounce while walking. I've tried walking forwards while shooting over my shoulder and using the pop out view-finder and have found this to be best. There's no time for a dolly, etc. Has anyone had experience with the varizoom flowpod? Would this take the shake out? Thanks, Craig
Craig Hollenback is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 26th, 2003, 08:22 PM   #2
Capt. Quirk

Here are some cheap fast fixes that might work-
Have someone pull you in a wheel chair or shopping cart while you shoot. This would be smoother than walking, and you would be less likely to stumble.
K. Forman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 26th, 2003, 08:47 PM   #3

When we do a backwards shoot I have my main man Phil or Dave guide me as they know the flow I like. I have had others try to guide me or walk me yet they can't seem to work in unison.

We have done this to the point it’s like dancing….find someone you can trust and let the rest go.
Old November 27th, 2003, 09:42 AM   #4
DVX User

you can also prop the camera backwards (lens pointing behind you) over your shoulder so you are looking right at the LCD (flipped backwards) and walk forwards (normal) away from the subject... takes some getting used to though.
Jarred Land is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 27th, 2003, 01:43 PM   #5
Major Player

<<<-- Originally posted by Keith Forman : Here are some cheap fast fixes that might work-
Have someone pull you in a wheel chair or shopping cart while you shoot. This would be smoother than walking, and you would be less likely to stumble. -->>>

EXACTLY WHAT I WAS GOING TO SAY!!!! GREAT FIX!
John Hudson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 27th, 2003, 02:37 PM   #6
Capt. Quirk

<<<-- EXACTLY WHAT I WAS GOING TO SAY!!!! GREAT FIX! -->>>

Be afraid... Be very afraid! It is scary when there is someone else that thinks like me ;)
K. Forman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 27th, 2003, 02:54 PM   #7
Major Player

I have a related question...i was doing a similar shoot two days ago, but I was using a Bogen Manfroto tripod dolly. Even though everything is rock solid, and the floor is smooth...the floor was waxed and there are small variations that when the dolly is moving makes the camera oscillate and the video shakes...any suggestions?
Juan P. Pertierra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 27th, 2003, 02:58 PM   #8
DVX User

take the little wheels off and buy some bigger air puff ones from home depot.
Jarred Land is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 27th, 2003, 07:00 PM   #9
Regular Crew

or if it is more of the run and gun style try to get in step with the subject... when the subjects left foot moves foward your left foot moves backwards... it keeps bounce to a minimum...

Chears
Goat
Brian Gauthier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 28th, 2003, 08:39 PM   #10
Major Player

juan - (re: smoothing out tripod dolly) I got 20ft length of rubber runner that's 36" (wide enough for my dolly) that I lay over carpet, uneven floor surfaces etc. Sometimes it works better than others. The runner is sold off rolls in hardware stores and is what you see on the inside of the front door lobby of a public building usually put down to stop people from slipping after rain/snow. The ridges that channel the rain water (maybe 1/16" deep) help keep the wheels rolling straight and smooth.
Peter J Alessandria is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 29th, 2003, 11:49 PM   #11
Regular Crew

Just wanted to state ...

You folks are absolutely incredible with all of your constant creative solutions. I've run into very few shooting problems just by reading the posts on this board. Thanks!

K. Mikel Low
Mikel Low is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Panasonic P2HD / AVCCAM / AVCHD / DV Camera Systems > Panasonic DVX / DVC Assistant