No Report???? DVC30 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Panasonic P2HD / AVCCAM / AVCHD / DV Camera Systems > Panasonic DVX / DVC Assistant

Panasonic DVX / DVC Assistant
The 4K DVX200 plus previous Panasonic Pro Line cams: DVX100A, DVC60, DVC30.

Old December 11th, 2003, 03:50 PM   #1
Regular Crew

No Report???? DVC30

I thought you guys were going to report your findings on the DVC 30 and DVX 100a at the DV expo.. i was most interested in the lux rating of DVC 30 and pricing.. Please help
Scott Plowman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 11th, 2003, 05:48 PM   #2
Regular Crew

yes same here looking to get either a dvc80 or DV953 int he next mounth. can't decide which but if this thing has the right features and has a street price in the 1700ish range I'll be on it in a heartbeat
Jon Kamps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 11th, 2003, 11:30 PM   #3
Regular Crew

I'm buying a new prosumer camera in February when I get my College finance check :).
Only one thing would prevent me from buying a GL2, and that's good reports on the DVC30 corder.

I do a fair amount of infrared recording with a sony camcorder, and was thinking about getting a TRV80 so I could shoot real Progressive IR, and was going to buy the GL2 for a Movie Short I'm producing for the 2005 Sundance.

It would be nice if I could kill 2 birds with one stone and get a great documentary camera I could also use to shoot IR. I really hope we get some reports on this thing!
Arthur John is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 12th, 2003, 12:57 AM   #4
Obstreperous Rex

I saw the DVC30 today at DV Expo and it is a very impressive, very sweet little 3-chip camcorder. Awesome for what it is, to say the least. I didn't ask about low-light or minimum lux because those factors always have, always will be utterly meaningless to me. You want light, you add light, period. That said, there is a separate IR emitter available for the DVC30 that throws about 30 feet and the demo of this looked great at the show (it is a grayscale IR image, but very clean). The DVC30 is jam-packed with just about all the DVC80 features in a very handy, stylish little camcorder. It just might be my new favorite, and I'm willing to bet it'll make a bit of a splash. They told me April availability (show sample was a pre-production model) at about $2600 list. It had four scene file settings opposed to six on the DVC80, pretty much the same internal menu, 16x zoom. It looks like an excellent little camcorder, not surprising for Panasonic who's at the top of the game at the moment. DVC30 is a winner. Hope this helps,

Search DV Info Net | 20 years of DVi | ...Tuesday is Soylent Green Day!
Chris Hurd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 12th, 2003, 10:09 AM   #5
Regular Crew

anyword on 16:9 or frame mode?
Jon Kamps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 12th, 2003, 11:34 AM   #6
Major Player

I'm a little bummed since I just bought the 80 and could use the 16x and the lighter weight of the cam for my flowpod. I hate to take a depreciation hit on trying to resell the 80 so soon. At 2600 MSRP it will probably be somewhere around 2k on the street but that's probably without the XLR attachment. I wonder what they will charge for that option? Probably around $200. Well it will take a while to get some reviews from users and no point in considering buying before then.
Rob Easler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 12th, 2003, 11:36 AM   #7
Regular Crew

lux, lux, lux... damn you guys.. This is important for us event and wedding folks.. Please help... Im assuming 7 like the competitors ie. Sony Pdx10.. Anyone know??? Thanks
Old December 12th, 2003, 11:41 AM   #8
Inner Circle

Of interest to me are manaul gain control and wired remote zoom control. If these are the same as the DVX100 control this will be a great little camcorder. Gain in a menu is still Ok but not as good as the switch on the DVC100 and DVC80.

Ron Evans
Ron Evans is online now   Reply With Quote
Old December 12th, 2003, 12:08 PM   #9
Major Player

The Panasonic brochure for the AG-DVC30 claims:

"With high sensitivity, high resolution and a high S/N that suppresses noise in dark portions of an image, the AG-DVC30 is ideal for nightime news gathering. It delivers the best image quality in its class."

I assume that class includes the GL2 and PDX10.
Old December 12th, 2003, 12:17 PM   #10
Regular Crew

thus 7 lux : ( I assume the same.. I guess i was just wishing for 3 lux in that camera.. sigh*
Old December 12th, 2003, 12:37 PM   #11
Barry Wan Kenobi

<<<-- Originally posted by Jon Kamps : anyword on 16:9 or frame mode? -->>>

See the brochure .PDF here:
http://www.panasonic.co.jp/bsd/sales...0/ag-dvc30.pdf

Yes it has frame mode. Didn't see any mention of 16:9.
Barry Green is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 12th, 2003, 12:39 PM   #12
Barry Wan Kenobi

<<<-- Originally posted by Scott Plowman : thus 7 lux : ( I assume the same.. I guess i was just wishing for 3 lux in that camera.. sigh* -->>>

No lux ratings have been posted. It'll be confusing because technically the camera is capable of 0 lux images, in black and white. It is the only 3CCD camera that has infrared night-shot style shooting, so you could shoot in absolute darkness and still get clear video (although B&W).

It also has slow shutter speeds for further improved (although blurrier) low-light performance.

But I haven't seen any specs on what the low-light performance is in 60i mode.
Barry Green is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 12th, 2003, 12:50 PM   #13
Regular Crew

Barry thanks for your help.. 0 lux i think means with the infrared feature in B&W my concern is for wedding and event low light situations is that infrared wont work... Thanks again for your help Barry.. If im inccorect please let me know on the 0 lux thing

If anyone knows please tell us on the standard mode lux rating.. Thanks
Old December 12th, 2003, 05:44 PM   #14
Major Player

Chris, did you hold the DVC30 in your hands? What material ist he body? Does it feel sturdy and well balanced? would you say it holds similar to a TRV950?
Yang Wen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 12th, 2003, 09:06 PM   #15
Trustee

The second that DVC30 becomes available I'll put the DVC80 for sale.....if anyone becomes interested- you'll know how to find me (hehehe)

16X zoom is what I need........I just hope this thing comes out soon!

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Panasonic P2HD / AVCCAM / AVCHD / DV Camera Systems > Panasonic DVX / DVC Assistant