External mic for DVX100 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Panasonic P2HD / AVCCAM / AVCHD / DV Camera Systems > Panasonic DVX / DVC Assistant
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Panasonic DVX / DVC Assistant
The 4K DVX200 plus previous Panasonic Pro Line cams: DVX100A, DVC60, DVC30.

Old April 11th, 2009, 07:23 AM   #1
New Boot

External mic for DVX100

Guys,

I'm breaking into video making. I make dog training DVD's, and have an AG DVX100A. I'm interested in suggestions for a shotgun mic for it. I've often seen them pictured with them, and mine has a mount. But I don't know what mic to get.

Any suggestions?

Thanks,
Evan
Evan Graham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 12th, 2009, 02:46 PM   #2
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Evan Graham View Post
Guys,

I'm breaking into video making. I make dog training DVD's, and have an AG DVX100A. I'm interested in suggestions for a shotgun mic for it. I've often seen them pictured with them, and mine has a mount. But I don't know what mic to get.

Any suggestions?

Thanks,
Evan
For dog training videos, where you're going to want to record speech by the trainer, an on-camera 'gun is going to be nearly useless. On-camera mics are there for either general ambience recording or for those run-and-gun news-gathering situations where coming home with the story is paramount and crappy audio is still better than coming home with none at all. It is a myth that shotguns amplify distant sounds the way a telphoto lens magnifys distant images. They just don't work that way. For recording speech with good quality, a shotgun needs to be about 24 to 36 inches inches from the subject, much closer than you're going to want to be with the camera. Unless you're working with a sound-person who is able to boom the mic close to the trainer, it's just not going to help out much. I would strongly suggest a good wireless lav setup would be a much better investment. There are a lot of shotguns on the market at various price ranges there and a choice depends in part on your budget and how critical your requirements are. But for an entry level 'gun you could do far worse than the Rode NTG-1.

Last edited by Steve House; April 12th, 2009 at 03:30 PM.
Steve House is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 26th, 2009, 06:58 PM   #3
New Boot

Thanks, Steve. I've been using a Sony UWP-C1 with good results. It just made me curious if there were really much to gain by adding a decent 'gun over the mic provided with the camera.

Thanks again,
Evan
Evan Graham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 27th, 2009, 03:57 AM   #4
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Evan Graham View Post
Thanks, Steve. I've been using a Sony UWP-C1 with good results. It just made me curious if there were really much to gain by adding a decent 'gun over the mic provided with the camera.

Thanks again,
Evan
Not saying a good 'gun wouldn't be a good addition to your kit, just they're not for recording dialog when mounted on the camera. Shotguns aren't a "telephoto lens for sound" pulling in distant sounds.

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Panasonic P2HD / AVCCAM / AVCHD / DV Camera Systems > Panasonic DVX / DVC Assistant