audio question at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Panasonic P2HD / AVCCAM / AVCHD / DV Camera Systems > Panasonic DVX / DVC Assistant
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Panasonic DVX / DVC Assistant
The 4K DVX200 plus previous Panasonic Pro Line cams: DVX100A, DVC60, DVC30.

Old January 7th, 2004, 03:33 PM   #1
Regular Crew

audio question

can someone point to a url or good source of information explaining XLR audio inputs in relation to the 100a?

i.e.

Say I want to video a dance production (on stage). Do I get a sound input from the soundboard? Does the mic on the camera still work? Can it get audio from the mics on stage? Do they all work together to capture all the audio with the video which can can later be tweaked in your NLE (post production).

Thanks!
Brian Zamen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 8th, 2004, 02:11 AM   #2
Barry Wan Kenobi

Yes to all of the above.

The XLR inputs can take a feed from a mixer or other microphones or other sources -- they can take LINE or MIC levels.

You have a potential of three audio sources for the DVX's two audio tracks: XLR 1, XLR 2, or on-board microphone.

You can use one of the XLR channels and record the on-board mic on the other channel, but you can't use both XLR's and still use the on-board mic.

You can use one XLR channel to feed both tracks.
Barry Green is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 8th, 2004, 02:17 AM   #3
Inner Circle

yes to all of teh above...

if ur runnin off a mixing desk, i would suggest you use 2 XLRs' for stereo input. All other mics will be disabled if you do this however yuou will have the cleanest sound possible.. a good way to do this is to run 2 Sennheiser wireless transmitters (one for each channel) on different channels from the board into the cam.

this allows u to move without looooooooooooooooooong cables which can stuff up a shot if you trip... :)
Peter Jefferson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 8th, 2004, 02:23 AM   #4
Inner Circle

"yes to all of teh above..."

holy cow crap batman!! weve entered teh twilight zone :)

actualy the DVX has to be the most flexible when it comes to audio, and the brilliant basses which it pumps out (from the INTERNAL <!> mic is awesome

dotn be afraid to use the stock onboard mic, sometimes the a performance spaces reverberation adds depth to the sound..
Peter Jefferson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 8th, 2004, 10:22 AM   #5
Regular Crew

Thanks for the replies, when you mention channels above are you talking as in a left and a right channel (stereo)?
Brian Zamen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 14th, 2004, 03:05 AM   #6
Major Player

i JUST got back from shooting my first real project with my dvx-100a

i was amazed at the situations i ran into in the last week that i was able to calmly solve even though i had never even seen some of the equipment i was plugging into.

this was all simply from reading just about every question on here about the dvx-100 and about audio...

one thing that i don't believe was mentioned here but i found elsewhere...

soundboards put out LINE OUT, the wireless transmitter i have (senn EVO-500) wants MIC IN, not LINE IN, so you have to buy a thingie from b&h to go from mic level to line level.

i had bought one and had it ready and it worked great.

i was able to plug into a bunch of different performers soundboards using my "plug on" adaptor from senn and then beam the sound to my receiver on the camera and still wander around the performance cable free!

matthew
Matthew de Jongh is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Panasonic P2HD / AVCCAM / AVCHD / DV Camera Systems > Panasonic DVX / DVC Assistant