Stills from 30p footage at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Panasonic P2HD / AVCCAM / AVCHD / DV Camera Systems > Panasonic DVX / DVC Assistant
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Panasonic DVX / DVC Assistant
The 4K DVX200 plus previous Panasonic Pro Line cams: DVX100A, DVC60, DVC30.

Old January 13th, 2004, 04:16 PM   #1
New Boot

Stills from 30p footage

I recall reading somewhere that you can export hi resolution (up to 1200 dpi?) stills from single frames of DVX footage shot in 30p. Does anyone know how to do that. Using Media Cleaner 6, I have only been able to create 72dpi stills at 720x480.
James Fortier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 13th, 2004, 04:38 PM   #2
Retired DV Info Net Almunus

All (NTSC) DV footage frames are 720x480. To create any larger (ie. higher resolution) stills would require the use of an excellent graphics application, such as Photoshop.

Hey, you don't have enough stuff!
Buy with confidence from our sponsors. Hand-picked as the best in the business...Really!

See some of my work one frame at a time: www.KenTanaka.com
Ken Tanaka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 13th, 2004, 04:58 PM   #3
New Boot

Maybe I'm not being clear. I know all about Photoshop. This process is before you get to Photoshop. I'm trying to export a hi res still image created from DV video shot in 30p (panasonic DVX 100). The best I could come up with using Media Cleaner 6 was 72 dpi. I read somewhere that it is possible to extract a 1200 dpi image (equivalent to 35mm still photography) from a single frame if shot in 30p. Anyone know how?
James Fortier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 13th, 2004, 05:47 PM   #4
Space Hipster

30p does not have different resoution than 24p. The DV format is 720X480 - that is what comes down the firewire and what's recorded from tape.

The only live signal other than that is the S-video out, but that's less than DV.

The only way to increase is use a pixel interpolater like S-Spline Pro (search here for sample of DV up-rezzed).

DPI is different method that applied only to print. DPI is dots per inch and video does not work in inches.

The 72 dpi that you see in media cleaner is just the reflection of 720X480 pixels translation to DPI scale.
Old January 13th, 2004, 07:29 PM   #5
Major Player

Try S-Spline
Glenn Gipson is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Panasonic P2HD / AVCCAM / AVCHD / DV Camera Systems > Panasonic DVX / DVC Assistant