EVF = B&W viewfinder? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Panasonic P2HD / AVCCAM / AVCHD / DV Camera Systems > Panasonic DVX / DVC Assistant
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Panasonic DVX / DVC Assistant
The 4K DVX200 plus previous Panasonic Pro Line cams: DVX100A, DVC60, DVC30.

Old January 21st, 2004, 07:36 PM   #1
New Boot

EVF = B&W viewfinder?

Hi All,

New member here and new to videography. I am in the market for a camcorder and am comparing the DVX100A and PD-170. DVX100A brochure indicates EVF viewfinder ... does this mean B&W only?

Also, are all viewfinders on camcorders EVF's? Meaning, none (DVX100A and PD-170) have TTL viewfinders. I assume this is true if viewfinders display overlayed information.

Thank you,
Vincent
Vincent Im is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 21st, 2004, 07:53 PM   #2
Retired DV Info Net Almunus

Welcome Vincent,

1. The DVX100A's viewfinder is a color LCD. "EVF" is shorthand for electronic viewfinder and does not connote b&w or color.

2. Viewfinders on all video cameras take their image from the CCD's, not directly through the lens, per se. And that's the only mechanism that would make any sense, unlike a film camera.

Hey, you don't have enough stuff!
Buy with confidence from our sponsors. Hand-picked as the best in the business...Really!

See some of my work one frame at a time: www.KenTanaka.com
Ken Tanaka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 21st, 2004, 09:42 PM   #3
New Boot

Ken,

Thank you for the info.

Reading about viewfinders, I understand that PD-170 offers B&W viewfinder because it is easier to manually focus accurately in B&W than in color. Does DVX100A offer the option for B&W viewfinder? If not, how do you like manual focus on DVX100A with the color viewfinder?

Vincent
Old January 21st, 2004, 09:58 PM   #4

The DVX has no optional viewfinder configutation; it is what it is.

Personally I find focusing with the DVX100's large lcd panel easier than the with eyepiece. The new DVX100A features a new peaking display feature. This derives from a similar feature found on professional b&w viewfinders, which places a slight edge enhancement around sharply-focused areas in the frame. Although the 100A's peaking display is not adjustable (as pro viewfinders are) this is a nice enhancement to aid in focusing.

Notwithstanding, I would not let the viewfinders be a decisive factor selectingg between the DVX and the PD.

Buy with confidence from our sponsors. Hand-picked as the best in the business...Really!

Old January 22nd, 2004, 12:37 AM   #5
New Boot

Ken,

I just read the operational manual for the dvx100a and it indicates that you can set the EVF to either color or bw. Is the manual incorrect?
Old January 22nd, 2004, 12:49 AM   #6

I do not yet have my 100A in-hand (it will arrive this week). But if the manual says so, who am I to argue?!

But understand that this, in itself, doth not a high resolution viewfinder make! That is, simply desaturating a color lcd is of relatively little additional help for focus assistance. Coupled with a peaking display it's certainly far better than a standard consumer color lcd viewfinder. But resolution of the viewfinder is arguably the more important factor with respect to focus assistance. That's why all professional video viewfinders are b&w crt's with 500+ lines of horizontal resolution.

Thank you for pointing out this option, Vincent.

Old January 22nd, 2004, 01:05 AM   #7
Major Player

Yes, the dvx100a does let you put your viewfinder in B&W. I usually leave it in B&W while and keep the 3.5in flip out the way it is. The edge enhancement is a great feature and really allows objects in focus to "pop" when you have it right.
Stefan Scherperel is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Panasonic P2HD / AVCCAM / AVCHD / DV Camera Systems > Panasonic DVX / DVC Assistant