Panasonic DVX100A and anamorphic lens video... at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Panasonic P2HD / AVCCAM / AVCHD / DV Camera Systems > Panasonic DVX / DVC Assistant

Panasonic DVX / DVC Assistant
The 4K DVX200 plus previous Panasonic Pro Line cams: DVX100A, DVC60, DVC30.

Old January 27th, 2004, 01:28 AM   #1
New Boot

Panasonic DVX100A and anamorphic lens video...

As a newcomer to this, I found this movie provides excellent information about true 16:9 widescreen picture with an anamorphic lens vs cropped 16:9.

Does anyone know how the Century Optics compares to the Panasonic anamorphic? Of course, it looks like the Century Optics version is for Sony and Canon only.

http://www.saferseas.com/vsd/eye/lensmain.html

http://www.saferseas.com/vsd/eye/mov...escreenNew.mov

XL1 does not have anamorphic lens capability? I'm really leaning torwards the DVX100A ;)

I have a widescreen rear projection Mitsubishi. Will be uprading to the new Panasonic Viera plasma TV in April when it comes out. The anamorphic picture I shoot with the DVX100A should look amazing on the plasma :)
Old January 27th, 2004, 02:01 AM   #2
Retired DV Info Net Almunus

The XL1 system features three lenses but they are not anamorphic. Nevertheless, the system is extremely versatile, arguably far more so than the DVX100/A (speaking as an owner of an XL1s, DVX100 and DVX100A).

Hey, you don't have enough stuff!
Buy with confidence from our sponsors. Hand-picked as the best in the business...Really!

See some of my work one frame at a time: www.KenTanaka.com
Ken Tanaka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 27th, 2004, 02:09 AM   #3
New Boot

Ken, you created the Lady X films!?!
Excellent films BTW. Who wrote the script?

I hope you don't mind that I linked to Lady X on my other post about Canon vs Panasonic.

So which one do you like better? The Panasonic DVX100A or XLS?
I know each has its own merits, but in terms of EASE of use to obtain the highest FILM like picture? For the beginner such as myself.

And yes, I agree, from what I've read the XL1 appears more versatile. Maybe I should wait for the XL2. Just kidding, I know it doesn't exist...officially ;)
Old January 27th, 2004, 02:34 AM   #4
Retired DV Info Net Almunus

Peter,
Thank you for your kind note on Lady X Films. Yes, we all had a great time with that series. In the main, each episode producer wrote their own episode's script, although some episodes featured separate writing credits.

Re: the XL1 -vs- DVX100x, I honestly couldn't say that one is better or generally preferable than the other. To use a crude medical analogy (layman here) it would be like saying that an angioplasty catheter is better than a urinary catheter. Different tools for different jobs.

For dramatic work, particularly where a film transfer might be involved, the DVX100x wins hands-down. (Although the XL1s can be adapted to do this, too.) The DVX100's imaging circuitry is designed from the ground up for this work and has many features found only on much larger and more costly cameras (like its big brother, the SDX900). For wildlife photography, general event coverage, sports coverage, et.al. the XL1s would be a better tool due largely to its reconfigurability.

p.s. Happy to have your Lady X Films link!

Hey, you don't have enough stuff!
Buy with confidence from our sponsors. Hand-picked as the best in the business...Really!

See some of my work one frame at a time: www.KenTanaka.com
Ken Tanaka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 28th, 2004, 02:51 AM   #5
New Boot

Ken, thanks for the reply. I read your reply and it was very instrumental (in addition to other DVinfo members) in my decision to go with the DVX100a.

I will unlikely be shooting wildlife or sporting events and have a greater need for film look. And the DVX100a appears to be designed from conception for film look DV camera. :)

Of course it also helpd that you own both cameras and have practical insight.

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Panasonic P2HD / AVCCAM / AVCHD / DV Camera Systems > Panasonic DVX / DVC Assistant