DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Panasonic DVX / DVC Assistant (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/panasonic-dvx-dvc-assistant/)
-   -   UPDATED - DVX100AP Shipment halt is not true just a rumor (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/panasonic-dvx-dvc-assistant/21259-updated-dvx100ap-shipment-halt-not-true-just-rumor.html)

Kevin Peer February 12th, 2004 12:19 PM

DVX100AP Noise Problem and a Warning!

I purchased a DVX100AP camera a few weeks ago and have seen a lot of grain and image noise particularly in shadows and areas with red in them. Panasonic tech support has been a nightmare in their unresponsiveness thus far. The dealer I bought it from said today that Panasonic has stopped shipping the DVX100AP because they are in 'Quality Control'. I don't know if it is because of the noise problem I am having or not, but I would suggest caution before buying one at present!

Stephen van Vuuren February 12th, 2004 12:23 PM

Kevin:

Sorry to hear of your troubles - what dealer did you hear this from? Do you have any screen grabs or footage of the problems?

Tavis Shaver February 12th, 2004 02:50 PM

if you hear back from pana about the QC post what they say.

Imran Zaidi February 12th, 2004 04:16 PM

Oh oh... getting nervous.... Please let this be a hoax...

Kevin Peer February 12th, 2004 04:19 PM

I heard about the freeze on DVX100A shipments from Winston at Biz-Max.net. I will try to post an image and/or footage, though I'm not sure how to do it..

Ken Tanaka February 12th, 2004 04:25 PM

Kevin,
We don't have a facility here for user uploads. If you could put a still of two up on your site, that would be good. If not, you can email them to me and I can put them on my .Mac site.

Ken Tanaka February 12th, 2004 10:32 PM

Kevin's Samples

Kevin sent me two sample frames in .PNG format. You can download them from my .Mac file sharing page in the "KPeer-DVX100A" folder.

Kevin Peer February 12th, 2004 11:20 PM

Thank you for your help with the image files, Ken!

Paul Leung February 13th, 2004 04:17 AM

I have the same problem and posted it previously in

http://www.dvinfo.net/conf/showthrea...154#post136154

Is the noise level high in my clip? I do notice the red is very bad... it bleeds.

Anyway, I have set the coring to +7, PED to -5, details to -4 for 60i scene. That seems to improve the noise problem. However, red is still a headache!

Bryan Roberts February 13th, 2004 11:44 AM

strange that you guys said this. I've only had mine for 2 weeks or so now and the first thing I was thinking to myself was, wow the black areas seem to have some noise or grain to them. I thought maybe my black balance was set incorrectly or something. I'm going to fire off some emails to panny today asking about the quality issues...

Here's a screen shot from a dimly lit room with an orange shade over the light. There seemed to be some noise in this shot. Does this look like my unit might be one of those? This was with zero gain.

http://www4.ncsu.edu/~berobert/dvx100ap.png

Imran Zaidi February 13th, 2004 12:23 PM

Anybody have both the 100 and the 100A so we can see a comparison? Image quality analyses can be so subjective when you have nothing to gauge it against...

Charley Manske February 13th, 2004 01:11 PM

Unfortunately, I think I'm another victim.
I got a DVX100A from B&H about a week ago and I definitely see more grainy noise than I expected. Turning down the various detail settings helps some, but after reading this thread, I'm convinced Panasonic has a first-run quality control issue.
Reminds me of the focus problems with the early Canon XL1's :(

Ken Tanaka February 13th, 2004 01:24 PM

I have both cameras and will run some sample shots with a G-M color chart as soon as I get a chance.

Kevin Peer February 13th, 2004 02:10 PM

I owned a DVX100 for several months and did not have this problem then.

Like Byron, I also had the impression when I first looked through the DVX100A that there was a lot of noise in shadow areas, but thought it was the fine detail setting on the LCD viewfinder or something.

I may have mentioned that I am having alot of problems importing footage into FCP4 with this camera as well. Don\'t know if its the camera, the footage, or my editing configuration. For these tests I was using my Powerbook 1GZ G4 with 512mb RAM and the internal hard drive.

I\'ve got calls in to the West coast Pan tech support guy and hope to hear from him today. Panasonic has been less than enthusiastically helpful about this, I have to say. I know \'everyone\'s busy\' but they have certainly not had any urgency about this issue.

I\'ll report back when I know more.

Bryan Roberts February 13th, 2004 02:12 PM

With quality control issues such as this, is it likely that there will be a "fix" for current 100a owners like a way to send back ours to be repaired or maybe a trade policy to exchange for a new one? They surely wouldn\'t just leave us hanging after spending a serious chunk of change would they?