UPDATED - DVX100AP Shipment halt is not true just a rumor at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Panasonic P2HD / AVCCAM / AVCHD / DV Camera Systems > Panasonic DVX / DVC Assistant
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Panasonic DVX / DVC Assistant
The 4K DVX200 plus previous Panasonic Pro Line cams: DVX100A, DVC60, DVC30.

Closed Thread

Old February 12th, 2004, 12:19 PM   #1
New Boot

DVX100AP Noise Problem and a Warning!

I purchased a DVX100AP camera a few weeks ago and have seen a lot of grain and image noise particularly in shadows and areas with red in them. Panasonic tech support has been a nightmare in their unresponsiveness thus far. The dealer I bought it from said today that Panasonic has stopped shipping the DVX100AP because they are in 'Quality Control'. I don't know if it is because of the noise problem I am having or not, but I would suggest caution before buying one at present!
Old February 12th, 2004, 12:23 PM   #2
Space Hipster

Kevin:

Sorry to hear of your troubles - what dealer did you hear this from? Do you have any screen grabs or footage of the problems?
Old February 12th, 2004, 02:50 PM   #3
Major Player

if you hear back from pana about the QC post what they say.
Old February 12th, 2004, 04:16 PM   #4
Trustee

Oh oh... getting nervous.... Please let this be a hoax...
Old February 12th, 2004, 04:19 PM   #5
New Boot

I heard about the freeze on DVX100A shipments from Winston at Biz-Max.net. I will try to post an image and/or footage, though I'm not sure how to do it..
Old February 12th, 2004, 04:25 PM   #6
Retired DV Info Net Almunus

Kevin,
We don't have a facility here for user uploads. If you could put a still of two up on your site, that would be good. If not, you can email them to me and I can put them on my .Mac site.

Hey, you don't have enough stuff!
Buy with confidence from our sponsors. Hand-picked as the best in the business...Really!

See some of my work one frame at a time: www.KenTanaka.com
Old February 12th, 2004, 10:32 PM   #7

Kevin's Samples

Kevin sent me two sample frames in .PNG format. You can download them from my .Mac file sharing page in the "KPeer-DVX100A" folder.

Buy with confidence from our sponsors. Hand-picked as the best in the business...Really!

Old February 12th, 2004, 11:20 PM   #8
New Boot

Thank you for your help with the image files, Ken!
Old February 13th, 2004, 04:17 AM   #9
Regular Crew

I have the same problem and posted it previously in

http://www.dvinfo.net/conf/showthrea...154#post136154

Is the noise level high in my clip? I do notice the red is very bad... it bleeds.

Anyway, I have set the coring to +7, PED to -5, details to -4 for 60i scene. That seems to improve the noise problem. However, red is still a headache!
Old February 13th, 2004, 11:44 AM   #10
Major Player

strange that you guys said this. I've only had mine for 2 weeks or so now and the first thing I was thinking to myself was, wow the black areas seem to have some noise or grain to them. I thought maybe my black balance was set incorrectly or something. I'm going to fire off some emails to panny today asking about the quality issues...

Here's a screen shot from a dimly lit room with an orange shade over the light. There seemed to be some noise in this shot. Does this look like my unit might be one of those? This was with zero gain.

http://www4.ncsu.edu/~berobert/dvx100ap.png
Old February 13th, 2004, 12:23 PM   #11
Trustee

Anybody have both the 100 and the 100A so we can see a comparison? Image quality analyses can be so subjective when you have nothing to gauge it against...
Old February 13th, 2004, 01:11 PM   #12
Tourist

Unfortunately, I think I'm another victim.
I got a DVX100A from B&H about a week ago and I definitely see more grainy noise than I expected. Turning down the various detail settings helps some, but after reading this thread, I'm convinced Panasonic has a first-run quality control issue.
Reminds me of the focus problems with the early Canon XL1's :(
Old February 13th, 2004, 01:24 PM   #13

I have both cameras and will run some sample shots with a G-M color chart as soon as I get a chance.

Old February 13th, 2004, 02:10 PM   #14
New Boot

I owned a DVX100 for several months and did not have this problem then.

Like Byron, I also had the impression when I first looked through the DVX100A that there was a lot of noise in shadow areas, but thought it was the fine detail setting on the LCD viewfinder or something.

I may have mentioned that I am having alot of problems importing footage into FCP4 with this camera as well. Don't know if its the camera, the footage, or my editing configuration. For these tests I was using my Powerbook 1GZ G4 with 512mb RAM and the internal hard drive.

I've got calls in to the West coast Pan tech support guy and hope to hear from him today. Panasonic has been less than enthusiastically helpful about this, I have to say. I know 'everyone's busy' but they have certainly not had any urgency about this issue.

I'll report back when I know more.
Old February 13th, 2004, 02:12 PM   #15
Major Player

With quality control issues such as this, is it likely that there will be a "fix" for current 100a owners like a way to send back ours to be repaired or maybe a trade policy to exchange for a new one? They surely wouldn't just leave us hanging after spending a serious chunk of change would they?
Closed Thread

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Panasonic P2HD / AVCCAM / AVCHD / DV Camera Systems > Panasonic DVX / DVC Assistant